Do I NEED to lose weight?

Options
I’ve been wondering for a while now whether I actually need to lose weight, or whether I’m just falling for social pressure to be a certain size. My doctors have always said I’m a couple of kg the ‘normal’ weight for my height, but it’s nothing to be worried about. I know I’m large for my height, but I’m not really sure how important all that is to me. Here are my current stats:

Height: 162cm
Weight: 67kg

Measurements
Right thigh: 51cm
Left thigh: 50cm
Hips: 104cm
Waist: 78cm
Chest: 97cm
Right bicep: 26.5cm
Left bicep: 26.5cm
Neck: 35cm
Estimated body fat: 30-33%

I’m not terribly unfit – I can cycle for 2-3 hours at a time (averaging 15-18kph), I’m flexible thanks to regular yoga practice and I can lift about half my own body weight. I can’t do a push up at the moment and I’m breathless after running 1km, however I know these are exercises my body isn’t accustomed to and I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to change if I feel so way inclined. Right now I’m looking into increasing my cycling speed and starting to build up muscle again using body weight resistance workouts (its been a few months since I’ve lifted weights).

Now, looking at these stats would you say that I actually NEED to lose weight? Or should I shift my focus primarily to building strength and fitness? I would *like* to get down to 60-62kg, but I’m not entirely sure why I feel I need to be a certain weight, surely weight loss comes with increased fitness? Just because all the charts say I’m overweight, does it mean that I need to lose weight?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you only change your fitness, most people (especially ones who start off overweight, which according to general population data, you are) will automatically eat enough to make up for the calories burned, or even more. This is why tracking helps.

Perhaps you could take a week to track your current eating at your current fitness level, THEN begin a new fitness program and continue to track, making sure that you are eating the same amount.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you don't need to be concerned with weight loss at all. If its not that important to you personally then forget it because focusing on strength and fitness will give you so much more in return. You could gain so much in those areas and feel amazing as a result.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feel pressure to be a certain, socially accepted 'weight' - body compositions are all very different. I prefer to concentrate on bodyfat.

Sorry I can't understand cm off the top of my head :/ but over 30" waist is getting into the unhealthy range apparently (mine is 31 :disappointed: ) so maybe judge it off that?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Looking at your picture, you don't look overweight. If you increase the intensity of your cycling and maintain your current weight, you'll probably shape up even better. I noticed that for myself. I've been putting in two hour 25kph rides daily all summer and my clothes fit better, but I didn't lose any weight.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You can use the BMI calculator to give you an idea. I was just a smidge over you on the BMI scale before I started my weight loss. It was the only time I've been outside of the "Healthy" BMI range, and I wasn't happy with that. I plan on losing a bit more because I want to feel more fit and be able to do more healthy exercise.

It's not about what other people think! I could not have gotten halfway through my journey without feeling strongly that I need to be at a healthier weight. It's my choice, and it's my battle to the finish line. I am in control of what I eat and how much I exercise, and no one else...

Good luck! :+1:

myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator

19507081.png
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Looking at your picture, you don't look overweight. If you increase the intensity of your cycling and maintain your current weight, you'll probably shape up even better. I noticed that for myself. I've been putting in two hour 25kph rides daily all summer and my clothes fit better, but I didn't lose any weight.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment! I feel like I'm a little 'thick' and could definitely do with some toning. I just have to find a way to learn to love strength training as much as I do cycling and yoga!

• NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    You can use the BMI calculator to give you an idea. I was just a smidge over you on the scale before I started my weight loss. It was the only time I've been outside of the "Healthy" BMI range, and I wasn't happy with that. I plan on losing a bit more because I want to feel more fit and be able to do more healthy exercise.

Honestly, you must choose to lose. It's not about what other people think!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator

19507081.png

BMI is not so good on an individual scale. For example, many athletes are considered in the overweight or obese range. I'd rather rely on body fat % and measurements. BMI simply tells me that I'm overweight, most medical charts tell me this.

I don't think I'm going to die any sooner than someone thinner just because my BMI is 25. Should I drop 5kg just because some charts tell me I don't fit in the 'ideal' range? Will I actually be any healthier with a lower BMI? Will I be more loved? Will people find me more attractive? I'm not sure I'd be any happier, I'm already generally pretty happy with my life.

I know that I'm medically overweight, but how much do these numbers matter from an overall health perspective? Is it essential to fit in the ideal ranges on these charts?
  • Aemely
    Options
    I didn't really look at the BMI scale first. I looked in the mirror, I looked at the fact that I was going to have up from my normal pant size to a new one, and I refused to accept that! For me, the BMI just helped me put numbers on what I already knew. ;)
  • Aemely
    Options
    If you are happy and healthy at your current weight, then no, I see no reason to change to fit other people's ideas of what is good for you. You may have more muscle mass, so BMI might indeed be a crummy indicator of your fitness.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel pressure to be a certain, socially accepted 'weight' - body compositions are all very different. I prefer to concentrate on bodyfat.

Sorry I can't understand cm off the top of my head :/ but over 30" waist is getting into the unhealthy range apparently (mine is 31 :disappointed: ) so maybe judge it off that?

I've looked into this, most health professionals recommend a waist circumference under 35 inches :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with yourself and have no underlining medical issues, then no, you don't need to.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nobody has to lose weight. No law yet!

If the doctors are suggesting it, you should consider dropping a few. If they aren't and you don't want to, why even consider it? I sure wouldn't!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can use the BMI calculator to give you an idea. I was just a smidge over you on the scale before I started my weight loss. It was the only time I've been outside of the "Healthy" BMI range, and I wasn't happy with that. I plan on losing a bit more because I want to feel more fit and be able to do more healthy exercise.

19507081.png

BMI is not so good on an individual scale. For example, many athletes are considered in the overweight or obese range. I'd rather rely on body fat % and measurements. BMI simply tells me that I'm overweight, most medical charts tell me this.

I don't think I'm going to die any sooner than someone thinner just because my BMI is 25. Should I drop 5kg just because some charts tell me I don't fit in the 'ideal' range? Will I actually be any healthier with a lower BMI? Will I be more loved? Will people find me more attractive? I'm not sure I'd be any happier, I'm already generally pretty happy with my life.

I know that I'm medically overweight, but how much do these numbers matter from an overall health perspective? Is it essential to fit in the ideal ranges on these charts?

Unless you have a very high LBM, the BMI is usually a good indicator if you consider the range - especially for women.

The question to ask are:

- are you at a healthy BF% - seems like your doctor is happy with your BF%. You say you are 30 - 33% BF. That is considered to be on the high end of healthy for most age groups - but still 'healthy'. Whether you are actually healthy obviously depends on your individual circumstances. You are active which is a benefit so I am not too sure how much 'healthier' you would be losing a couple of pounds (also, mental health is important, and often forgotten).
    - are you happy with your body composition/size (ignore what you weigh). If yes, then maintain and keep the activities you enjoy. If not, either keep eating at a deficit or do a recomp where you eat at maintenance and do a good progressive loading resistance training routine.

• heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes I would focus on fitness and body fat % lots of thin women have high body fat. Get a hydrostatic analysis or body scan.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

If the doctors are suggesting it, you should consider dropping a few. If they aren't and you don't want to, why even consider it? I sure wouldn't!

Sometimes it feels like there is a law... all the pressure from the media to be this size, wear this, eat this, run this far; and the hundreds of 'qualified' personal trainers, health 'experts' and 'coaches' and keyboard warrirs constantly telling us to be thinner, fitter and faster; not to mention the fact that every shop window contains a model of unobtainable proportions for 99.9% of the population. We're never good enough, thin enough, or the right height to wear this and that. Our bodies are broken and need to be re-trained how to do the most basic of biological processes. We need to detox from all the gunk floating around in our bodies; and we need to be able to throw our legs over our head and sit in zen for an hour on end... otherwise we're just not acceptable enough to call ourselves human. *SIGH*

• penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. It sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Obviously not very many of us are falling for this supposed huge pressure because the majority of us are overweight/obese now (well I'm not sure about Australia but here in the U.S., Canada and Mexico). While I don't think it's healthy to have an unrealistic goal (i.e. to look like a photoshopped model when you are 5'5 with a lot of muscle) I don't think that most of us are at risk of becoming medically underweight because of our thin obsessed culture. More likely the fat-shaming might contribute to "guilt eating" and therefore our ever-expanding waistlines (just a theory).

"Our bodies are broken and need to be re-trained how to do the most basic of biological processes."- I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic but I actually think this is true for a lot of people. We don't know how much food our body really needs because of the influx of high calorie convenience foods.

I think if you are happy with yourself then why should you lose weight? I think I've read that a BMI of 25 actually is a factor in a longer life expectancy than someone with a BMI of 18. If you were morbidly obese it would be different as you would be drastically reducing both your quality of life and overall life expectancy and I'm not sure you'd want to just accept that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

19507081.png

If you don't want to lose, there's probably no health reason to. You could try to get a reliable test of body fat, which is a better judge than bmi, but my understanding is that BMI is a pretty good predictor of overly high body fat if you are in the obese zone, and that there it also indicates health risk for most women (some are outliers but that's extremely unusual--more common for men--and you'd know it). But an overweight bmi is not on its own indicative of health issues. You'd need to look at other things like where you carry the fat (waist more than half the height is bad), and overall fitness. On those tests you seem fine. Do if you prefer maybe just focus on getting even more fit, maybe adding some things you aren't doing, and eating well. You don't have to be any particular number, although you might end up losing a bit without trying.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Sometimes it feels like there is a law... all the pressure from the media to be this size, wear this, eat this, run this far; and the hundreds of 'qualified' personal trainers, health 'experts' and 'coaches' and keyboard warrirs constantly telling us to be thinner, fitter and faster; not to mention the fact that every shop window contains a model of unobtainable proportions for 99.9% of the population. We're never good enough, thin enough, or the right height to wear this and that. Our bodies are broken and need to be re-trained how to do the most basic of biological processes. We need to detox from all the gunk floating around in our bodies; and we need to be able to throw our legs over our head and sit in zen for an hour on end... otherwise we're just not acceptable enough to call ourselves human. *SIGH*
    I feel no pressure. I don't even want to look like the too-skinny models and actresses. Most of the models and some of the actresses are anorexic. I certainly don't want that. I've listened to many anorexics and that is not a fun way to be. I would like to get my leg behind my head again, but if I never can, I'll live through it.

If you want to drop a few pounds, do it. If you don't, don't. This really isn't that hard a decision.

Decide what you want and then go with that.