What will happen if i don't get a 12 hour fast in-between the night and breakfast the next day?

Options
2»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    The body goes into repair-mode during periods of fasting. It's a lot like building muscle. To gain muscle you have to damage it first. Fasting also puts the body under stress and it responds very positively (body focuses on cell repair instead of cell production). Did you know that life expectancy *increased* by over 6 years during the Great Depression? True story. Going without food sometimes is good for your health! There's a good YouTube vid about aging and fasting. Search for "eat fast and live longer with Michael Mosley".

What are you talking about?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It has to pay the cover charge.

I joke. I kid. :)

If you don't go twelve hours without eating, you don't. That's it. Nothing happens. :)

The are only two food-related certainties. If you pick up a baby after you're dressed in something nice, the baby will regurgitate it's last meal onto your clothing. If you leave a plate of food unsupervised in my home, you will come back to find some of it off the plate because the cat made a mess while she grabbed some.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    When your body isn't busy digesting food it can put all it's energy into fixing/healing/regenerating other parts of your body.

Please do a google search on the human digestive system and learn how long it actually takes food to travel through completely. Unless you have not ingested anything for days on end, your body is constantly busy handling some portion of the digestive process. The idea that if you don't eat for a few hours, your body will take a break from digestion and focus on other things is nonsense.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It is true about the cellular repair during fasting. Mice fed on alternative days live longer than mice fed every day, just like any animal on a restricted diet long term will live longer than those who eat normal amounts.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that is unfortunately incorrect. Current science supports meal timing having no impact on weight loss/gain/maintenance...with the caveat that for some, meal timing can influence satiety and therefore the total amount that we eat.

For example, many people practice intermittent fasting. There are several different programs, but as an example, one might fast for 16 hours (including when they sleep) and eat all of their calories within 8 hours. Some find that this helps them rein in eating. Others would find this intolerable and the delay in eating would send them into a binge.

Others might find that eating breakfast and many small meals or snacks throughout the day, including right before bed, helps them to eat fewer total calories.

Personally, I delay eating until I'm actually hungry, usually around 1 or 2 p.m. If I eat breakfast anyway, then I get hungry sooner and end up eating more.

Do what works for you.

I agree with this. Fasting does not aid weight loss, but it does provide many health benefits to the person that can fast. I am on a ketogenic diet, and I eat sporadically day by day and week by week. Like today....I didn't eat until about 14:30 and I woke up at 08:30. I probably will not eat again until about 22:00, even if I exercise. It is not a forced fast....I just will not be hungry until then.

Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories burned. No one diet is the answer. Every type of diet is just a method of achieving that goal of a calorie deficit. But any type of fasting is just for the health benefits. Although, it is possible to feel hungry even though a) the food is not metabolized completely and b) your body has not used the amount of calories that you ate previously. Overeating happens when you eat calories at an overall rate faster than the rate your body is burning them.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It is true about the cellular repair during fasting. Mice fed on alternative days live longer than mice fed every day, just like any animal on a restricted diet long term will live longer than those who eat normal amounts.

Your post crack me up

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...no friends, no profile, no weight to lose. I smell a troll.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Not sure why they were flagged so hard on this comment. Fasting does NOT hurt you and DOES have some healthy benefits if done correctly. You fast every night ie not eating from the time you go to sleep until the time you wake up. You don't have to eat breakfast if you choose not to and you CAN eat just one meal a day without negative effects to your body as long as you get all your calories and such in in that one meal. If your calorie count is high then it will be harder to eat that much at one sitting but people do it all the time. Or you can just stop eating at 8pm and don't eat again until 8 am. See how it works for you. I've quit eating at 4 pm and didn't eat again until noon the next day, and I'm still alive and still doing this weight loss thing. It's a personal preference on how and when you eat your food. You don't have to eat every 4 hours, you don't have to eat breakfast. But if that works for you then do it. This is your new lifestyle, find something that works for you. Eat when you want, eat what you want, just eat less than you were eating before. For me I find eating less processed foods and staying away from complex carbs (with the exception of veggies and fruits) helped me in those first two years. I'm kinda back to eating some of that stuff and I'm not losing at all. Also staying away from a lot of sugary stuff.
    By processed foods I mean things that come from a box, premade things that you just add a couple more ingredients to and you have a meal. I also mean fast foods. Does this mean NEVER eat that kind of stuff? No it just means to limit your intake. But for some eat what you want when you want just less of it. I'm just telling you what worked for me.

earth_echo wrote: »
    The body goes into repair-mode during periods of fasting. It's a lot like building muscle. To gain muscle you have to damage it first. Fasting also puts the body under stress and it responds very positively (body focuses on cell repair instead of cell production). Did you know that life expectancy *increased* by over 6 years during the Great Depression? True story. Going without food sometimes is good for your health! There's a good YouTube vid about aging and fasting. Search for "eat fast and live longer with Michael Mosley".

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    rkg2014 wrote: »

um...people aren't mice and my grandma lived to be 89 years old when she died EATING NORMAL AMOUNTS OF FOOD! Lol...

I would hazard a guess that most people who live to be 89 do so by eating normal amounts of food in conventional intake patterns - not by eating alternate days only.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You will probably turn into a pumpkin...

+1 and tell all your friends.