Pasta-free "lasagna" (cabbage substitute)

Options
KameHameHaaaa
KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
inb4> This is not meant to BE lasagna. Lasagna is lasagna. This is suitable for someone with dietary restrictions, kitchen creativity, or if you just really like cabbage like I do ;)

Came across this while I was looking for ideas on what to do with a bunch of free cabbage I was given. On top of eating "real" lasagna, I've also tried lasagna with eggplant and zucchini as pasta substitutes just because I eat everything. Never tried the cabbage before but methinks I'll give it a shot. I'm not big on ground beef so I'll probably do spinach and chicken in there instead personally. I'll also probably try this without meat at all and added veggies, served as a side dish. If anyone has done something similar with the cabbage leaves , let me know how it turned out!

http://simplerootswellness.com/top-secret-grain-free-lasagna/

PREP TIME
30 mins
COOK TIME
40 mins
TOTAL TIME
1 hour 10 mins

Author: Alexa Schirm
Serves: 4-6

INGREDIENTS
1 Head Cabbage
1 Jar (low-sugar) Marinara
1 lb. Ground Beef
1⅓ cups Cottage Cheese
⅔ cups Ricotta Cheese
6 oz. Cream Cheese
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Eggs, whisked
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp Chives, fresh or dried work
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
Brown hamburger and set aside.
Heat a large pot of salted water until boiling.
Wash and peel cabbage leaves off of head.
Cut out the ribs to keep the thickness of the cabbage consistent and place in boiling water.
Heat until just softened or about one minute.
Strain on a dry towel to get rid of any excess moisture. Continue until you have enough cabbage leaves for "noodles".
Mix ingredients cottage cheese through salt and pepper in a bowl.
BEGIN ASSEMBLY
Place ½ cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a prepared 8 x 13 inch pan.
Top with one layer of cabbage "noodles".
Add ½ of the cheese mixture, ½ hamburger and ⅓ of the remaining pasta sauce.
Use a spoon to even out.
Top with "noodles" and repeat.
Finish the last layer of "noodles" by pouring the rest of the pasta sauce over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Remove and add 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese and continue baking for another 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.

She didn't list nutritional info on her page but calories will vary depending on brands and meat quality.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    you know, if you roll them, they'd be easier to eat, and easier to portion.

Funny enough, the idea of this recipe as a lasagna is a turn off. However, the exact same thing, as rolls sounds delicious. Go figure. lol.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    you know, if you roll them, they'd be easier to eat, and easier to portion.

Funny enough, the idea of this recipe as a lasagna is a turn off. However, the exact same thing, as rolls sounds delicious. Go figure. lol.

That's a good idea!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    This is an abomination to the entire Italian people
  • KameHameHaaaa
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    This is an abomination to the entire Italian people

I'm sure with time and therapy they will forgive me for posting this. :p
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Are you having a laugh? So if I stick bananas on a burger would that be kitchen creativity or just ridiculous?
  • KameHameHaaaa
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    "kitchen creativity"

Are you having a laugh? So if I stick bananas on a burger would that be kitchen creativity or just ridiculous?

Depends....do YOU like bananas on your burgers? ;) I don't but whatever floats your goat.
  • dbmata
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Uh... that's actually pretty damn good, also when paired with a little peanut butter.

You've never had that? Banana burgers are pretty common.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Depends....do YOU like bananas on your burgers? ;) I don't but whatever floats your goat.

Do you not sense the irony here directed towards those people on here who just come up with crazy ideas in the name of being 'healthy'?
  • KameHameHaaaa
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Uh... that's actually pretty damn good, also when paired with a little peanut butter.

Is that really a thing ? >_> I'm going to have to google image this LOL

• dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Yeah, first place I had that was in Chico, CA. Next time was in Cambridge, MA. Then SF. Then NYC, Then a PB variant in LA.

ETA - best one I had was near the MSPCA in boston. It was a burger with mofongo on top.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Do you not sense the irony here directed towards those people on here who just come up with crazy ideas in the name of being 'healthy'?

I personally don't think it's a crazy idea, and I never personally said I was posting this recipe as a "healthy" version of lasagna. In fact, I said it wasn't lasagna LOL. I follow IIFYM, but I do not meal prep and I do get cravings. If there is something I want that I can't fit, I find a way to get rid of the craving. This is where substitutions come in, and have aided tremendously in my weight loss so far. :) Again though it's a personal preference. You don't have to like it, but you not liking it does not mean it's wrong or crazy for someone else to.

• dbmata
    Options
    You know... if someone doesn't like the cabbage idea.

They could replace it with layers of polenta slices.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Yeah, first place I had that was in Chico, CA. Next time was in Cambridge, MA. Then SF. Then NYC, Then a PB variant in LA.

ETA - best one I had was near the MSPCA in boston. It was a burger with mofongo on top.

Now that I'm looking at the images, they actually look amazing haha. Especially the ones with the fried bananas.

• dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yeah, the fried ones are the way to go.

I had it with banana chips, smashed bananas, fried bananas, and then the mofongo variant.

Fried banana or fried ripe plantain is the way to go. I'd actually venture that the fried plantain is better.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know you said peanut butter earlier but now that you mention the plantain... I wonder how a platanos con crema style burger would taste. Holy late night munchies.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

I personally don't think it's a crazy idea, and I never personally said I was posting this recipe as a "healthy" version of lasagna. In fact, I said it wasn't lasagna LOL. I follow IIFYM, but I do not meal prep and I do get cravings. If there is something I want that I can't fit, I find a way to get rid of the craving. This is where substitutions come in, and have aided tremendously in my weight loss so far. :) Again though it's a personal preference. You don't have to like it, but you not liking it does not mean it's wrong or crazy for someone else to.

No I just find the term kitchen creativity a bit snobbish, especially for something that doesnt hold much appeal. There is a reason a pasta free lasagne hasnt been created, and it isnt because we lack creativity.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I know you said peanut butter earlier but now that you mention the plantain... I wonder how a platanos con crema style burger would taste. Holy late night munchies.

Probably quite excellent, especially with a little chopped chicharone in the burger.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    As someone above has commented, it's very similar to stuffed cabbage (as rolls) which tastes great. I use lamb mince and put rice in them too.
  • dbmata
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

No I just find the term kitchen creativity a bit snobbish, especially for something that doesnt hold much appeal. There is a reason a pasta free lasagne hasnt been created, and it isnt because we lack creativity.
    Polenta has long been used as a replacement for the wide noodle in lasagna. It's not uncommon in northern italy.

:)

Food history, norms, and adaptations are quite interesting, varied, and dangerous to assert that something "doesn't exist" when it may. Or in this case does. :)
  • KameHameHaaaa
    Options
    "kitchen creativity"

Ah you're taking it in entirely the wrong way. The post was NOT meant to be snobbish and I'm sorry you misunderstood what I was saying. Like I said in the OP, I eat real lasagna too, and this recipe is not supposed to take away from real lasagna or make real lasagna seem uncreative.