PCOS..... What foods are best.....

Options
nb82
nb82 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

I've just been advised I have PCOS although I am not overweight I want to make sure I get my eating habits/diet right now so I'm set up for later years as well as trying to get pregnant.

I've read several internet sites/articles and these so much variation...... I'm now a tad confused as to what are the best things to eat and avoid. The doctor said to stick to low GI and avoid all white pastas, breads, potatoes etc.

My main question is around dairy & gluten..... Seen several things which say a dairy free and gluten free diet are better for those who gave PCOS..... Really looking for some advice from others who have it.....

Any info will be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have learned to just stay within my carbs. If I go over them then I tend to gain weight due to the insulin resistance from the PCOS. If it's an option for you, talk to your endocrinologist and ask about Metformin. It helps keep your insulin levels steady so you don't get the large spikes after eating and end up with the weight gain. I've lost almost 60lbs now just counting my calories, exercising, and staying within my allotted carbs and I never thought that was possible with my PCOS. My endocrinologist recommended following the South Beach Diet for people who have issues staying away from tons of carbs without the guidelines. It does help!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I'm not sure about all this! I have been struggling with weight for years. I'm not hugely obese, but always been a few lbs overweight. I tried every diet under the sun, and none of them really helped. The only thing that is now allowing me to lose weight (20lbs in 3 months, despite having PCOS and being on steroids) is watching calories. I eat carbs, I eat sugar, I eat anything, as long as it fits in my 1300 calories (plus half of exercise calories)
    IF you are just starting out, I would say do 4 weeks of just logging and trying to keep to a certain calorie count. Once you have done that, see the scales, has there been a difference, and if need be, adjust carbs amount etc, but going into a diet straight for low carbs and low calories is almost doomed to failure... do it slow
  • betty_2010
    betty_2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    http://youngwomenshealth.org/2013/12/12/pcos-nutrition/

This is a good article which explains how to enjoy carbs with other good foods
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Increase green leafy vegetables.