How do you LOSE muscle?

Options
I don't like the "toned" looked on myself; I used to be petite but I've gained some weight along with muscles since I've been doing weight training. I don't like the muscular look on my thighs, and I just want them back to their thinner, slimmer self, although I still want to lose the fat on my thighs too.

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Stop training them!!!!

What exercises were you doing?

I hear pilates and running is good for slimming thighs!

If you were doing leg presses or weight machines you were doing them to build muscle in the first place surely... ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you must have been training really hard and eating at a surplus to build that much noticeable muscle, surely?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    porscheMD wrote: »
    I don't like the "toned" looked on myself; I used to be petite but I've gained some weight along with muscles since I've been doing weight training. I don't like the muscular look on my thighs, and I just want them back to their thinner, slimmer self, although I still want to lose the fat on my thighs too.

If you lose more fat you will have a more 'toned' look... When you lose fat you can see the muscle definition...

Have you been eating in a surplus to gain muscle?

If you don't like the results, stop training.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    How do you LOSE muscle? Stop strength training.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    So you want to look skinny-fat?

That's all you could come up with? What a silly thing to say...

OP, try yoga.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This was a really good article by Bret Contreras who trains a lot of body builders/bikini competitors. His suggestion is once you get too muscly, reduce the amount of weight and increase the number of reps, plus decrease your number of workouts.

It's a great read:
    http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you must have been training really hard and eating at a surplus to build that much noticeable muscle, surely?

Surely....
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stop (or greatly reduce) the weight training, and get into more cardio....and eat more.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Surely....

Why does everyone keep calling her Shurley?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Keep dieting and don't work out.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Doubtful you are actually gaining muscle by doing light weight lifting.

In fact, you are doing a disservice to lifters by under appreciating how much effort goes into building muscle.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Try to move around as little as possible, if you can stay in bed for days at a time that would be ideal

This sounds like an exercise program I can do. :laugh:

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If the training is new, then your muscles may be holding onto some extra fluid to help cushion and repair them. This can give the muscles a "pumped" look that many newbies mistake for new muscle growth. The good news is that once you stop the weight training you'll pee those muscles away.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Try to move around as little as possible, if you can stay in bed for days at a time that would be ideal

:#
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Surely....

"I am serious... and don't call me Shirley"

OP stop eating at a surplus, and reduce your weight training or substitute another form of exercise like cardio or yoga (or both).
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nothing... like literally doing nothing.

muscle atrophy for the win!
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've heard on this site that if you eat below 1200 calories, your body will immediately attack your muscle tissue (even before fat, wouldja believe)
  • CoolBeans520
    CoolBeans520 Posts: 25
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Low intensity cardio would be best and yoga.
    I wouldn't do any weight lifting at all.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Stop the weight training and start training for a marathon.