Faux Cheesecake

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
edited November 2014 in Recipes
OK, this is not really cheese cake per se, but sure tastes like it. And it is only 2 ingredients.

1 small pot of full fat unflavored yoghurt - 125 grams. I use Danone Nature. Not sure if fat free would give it the same texture.

1 level teaspoon of Jell-O sugar-free/fat-free instant lemon pudding. (I suppose you could use any flavor you want, but the lemon really gives it that cheesecake taste)

Just put the teaspoon of instant pudding right into the pot of yoghurt. Mix well and enjoy.

I figure the max calories would be about 70. Kind of hard to get the caloric information of 1 teaspoon of unprepared sugar/fat free instant pudding.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    not even an attempt at a faux crust?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Or alternatively... eat a cheesecake.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I came up with this improvision so that I don't over eat. If I had a slice of cheesecake, it would set me off on a mini eating binge. My fault, I know. This is limited in portion size as the yoghurt comes in preset packaged amounts. It gives me just enough sweetness to satisfy my needs, without all the additional calories of the crust, larger portion, etc. And show me a slice of cheesecake with only 70 calories
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »
    I came up with this improvision so that I don't over eat. If I had a slice of cheesecake, it would set me off on a mini eating binge. My fault, I know. This is limited in portion size as the yoghurt comes in preset packaged amounts. It gives me just enough sweetness to satisfy my needs, without all the additional calories of the crust, larger portion, etc. And show me a slice of cheesecake with only 70 calories

I dont know where to start with this. So who gives you endless amounts of cheese or does cheese also come out of a packet?

Just eat a cheesecake. Why is trying to lose weight about coming up with fads all the time to compromise taste?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

eldamiano wrote: »
    Just eat a cheesecake. Why is trying to lose weight about coming up with fads all the time to compromise taste?

Good grief. Do you even count calories? Seriously. One slice of cheesecake can easily have 400 calories. That's an entire meal for me. So I can have the cheesecake but then be hungry because cheesecake isn't all that filling, and probably have a hard time meeting my macros, or I can have some yogurt with pudding, get my cheesecake "fix" and then still have room for dinner. Even with all the exercise I do, my maintenance calories are only around 2200/day.

Sure, occasionally eat the cheesecake. But some of use like to have daily treats. Fitting that high calorie piece of cheesecake into my daily allowance is tough. Unless it's one of those cheesecake "bites". I'd still rather have the yogurt.

If you don't want to eat the yogurt, don't. No one cares one way or the other. However, given that this is a calorie counting site, many people do appreciate these lower calories treat suggestions.

Myself included. Thanks, OP! Will have to try.

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

I dont know where to start with this. So who gives you endless amounts of cheese or does cheese also come out of a packet?

He already explained himself... He wants a tasty treat without all the high calorie and plus, he tends to mini binge eat. Jeezus. OP, you don't need to defend yourself at all. You do you. Thanks for the tip.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    One slice of cheesecake can easily have 400 calories. That's an entire meal for me. So I can have the cheesecake but then be hungry because cheesecake isn't all that filling, and probably have a hard time meeting my macros, or I can have some yogurt with pudding, get my cheesecake "fix" and then still have room for dinner. Even with all the exercise I do, my maintenance calories are only around 2200/day.
    LOL, light cheesecake.

I have a recipe for one, costs about $35 to make, three days, and weighs in at double that amount of kcals. So worth it.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1 graham cracker square serving of light cream cheese and sugar free jam spread over top is about 150 calories or less and is a good cheese cake alternative as well. :)
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think this makes a lot of sense. A lighter and somewhat "less tasty" version of a fattening desert makes one less likely to want more of it. Thanks for the recipe. (*)
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! My favorite treat is Dannon Strawberry Cheesecake 80-calorie yogurt with fresh, chopped strawberries and a little lite whipped cream on top.
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am going to give this a try... I have been craving a slice of cheesecke!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I rather eat the real stuff!!! <3

I'm surprise cauliflower is not part of the recipe!!! >:)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here's my recipe:

1/2 cup Sour cream with a tsp of sugar. BAAAAM!

Faux Cheesecake
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Another one:

Pureed cauliflower
    1 Cup buttermilk
    1 tsp sugar
    BAAAAAAAM!

Faux Cheesecake
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You know, I had Dannon's Creamery Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert over the weekend, and it was shockingly yummy! So if you don't feel like cooking, this is also a way to go!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think your recipe looks like a neat little substitute, for when you have no time to make it. Thank you for sharing! :smile:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    husseycd wrote: »
    One slice of cheesecake can easily have 400 calories. That's an entire meal for me. So I can have the cheesecake but then be hungry because cheesecake isn't all that filling, and probably have a hard time meeting my macros, or I can have some yogurt with pudding, get my cheesecake "fix" and then still have room for dinner. Even with all the exercise I do, my maintenance calories are only around 2200/day.
    LOL, light cheesecake.

I have a recipe for one, costs about $35 to make, three days, and weighs in at double that amount of kcals. So worth it.

Macadamia caramel cheesecake:

http://www.thecookierookie.com/cheesecake/

I couldn't get the original recipe online. I have a couple of Ottolenghi bookbooks, full of time consuming, expensive (you need access to a middle eastern foodshop, or alternatively, the internest) and fiddly recipes. If this is up your street, these are your go to guys. But the food is delicious though.

I'm trying to lose weight, so I use a bit less olive oil and lower fat greek yogurt (though not for deserts) and I can fit most things into my calorie allowance for the day. The cheesecake above isn't one of those dishes though!

Would a piece of real cheesecake keep you full as a meal? I used to go out for lunch and would often eye up a piece of cheesecake, the only thing I actualy wanted to eat. But I'd order a sandwich or a salad that I didn't really want, because it's not ok to eat a a single serving of dessert as a meal. I'd then eat the cheesecake afterwards, having eaten hundreds of calories I didn't even want and I'd enjoy the cheesecake less because I wasn't hungry anymore. Now just eat the cake now or have some soup and the cake. A piece of the cake above would do me for lunch. I'm less bothered about macros at this time though.

But it's up to you. There's other things I don't really care for and a 'light' version of it isn't sacrilege. I don't like melted cheese, so I'm 'meh' about most pizza.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Probably a question no one can answer, but ............

Where I live, the only type of cheesecake IS "faux cheesecake," since cream cheese is a super-expensive, hard-to-find delicacy. But there is cheesecake made from what seems to be paneer; it's widely available at coffeehouses, where IMO it's probably one of the healthier choices. Have never found a recipe online for paneer cheesecake with the calorie count, so don't have a sense of the calories. I enter a calorie amount that seems to make sense to me (from looking online at calories for amounts of paneer etc), and it's just under 300 cal.

If anyone spots this thread and somehow happens to know the calories for a standard-sized piece of Indian-style cheesecake, please let me know! Will bookmark the thread :smile:
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to make a cheesecake from 1 cap protein powder, 1 cup yogurt, 1 egg, and 1 8 oz package of low-fat creamcheese (or ricotta). It was delicious.