race day breakfast

Options
mlv333
mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
Ok. I'm attempting a 10k tomorrow. The first one I did I ran for 1h and had no more energy left. I believe I trained too hard for that one. Now I took it easy these last few days, and increased my carb intake. And I'm trying to figure out what to eat for breakfast tomorrow. I usually eat yogurt which sometimes gives me cramps. One website said oatmeal which seams too heavy for before a race to me. And I'm seeing lots of people eat banana's (I hate banana's, but I'll eat them). What have you eaten before your race, and worked for you?

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I just ran a 10K race today, and I ate a Luna bar and a banana. I'd say a protein bar and a piece of fruit should be good. I ran the whole time.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It is important to not eat anything new. So you don't end up making your stomach upset. I always have oatmeal about 2 hrs before then have a Powerbar nut naturals bar 30minutes before.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of toast with peanut butter - carbs & protein!. BTW- any /all who have "coached" me along the way - have stated to avoid dairy the moring of - for the exact reason it got u . It sounds as though you are new to 10ks, etc. Do you have something( gu, gels, etc) for approx i hour into it. You need ot replentish along the way.There willbe much trial & error along the way . Good for you - getting out there!!
  • aythakay
    aythakay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    True, don't try anything new on race day but do experiment during your weekly runs. I just ran my 6th marathon in Jan. and I have settled on oatmeal as a great pre-run food. Lots of my running buddies also do some form of oats and/ or whole wheat toast/ banana. I do the powerbar nut naturals on "shorter" runs (6-10 miles) they are SUPER yummy!!