Juice Diet

Options
Seen all the videos, the claims and the hype.
I'm a sceptical person and I do think, nah, this can't be true but at the same time, I'm intrigued.
Not sure if I could do it or if I'd even want to but has anyone here tried it?

Whats results did you get, how hard was it etc?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything magical about juice. You lose weight by eating less than your body needs to maintain its current weight. If adding juice to your overall meal plan helps you achieve your calorie deficiency then by all means, drink up, and enjoy. On the other hand, looking to a juice diet as a replacement for science isn't a good idea and a waste of money.
  • Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah but they (not necessarily me) would argue that science tells us that eating the correct nutrients will replace the so called 'food' you buy in the supermarket
  • Mudler
    Options
    Not permanently I should add, but short term, to balance your diet again
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    There isn't anything magical about juice. You lose weight by eating less than your body needs to maintain its current weight. If adding juice to your overall meal plan helps you achieve your calorie deficiency then by all means, drink up, and enjoy. On the other hand, looking to a juice diet as a replacement for science isn't a good idea and a waste of money.

I agree, especially if you're juicing mostly fruits, which pumps alot of sugar into your body all at once. It's expensive, inconvenient, and less filling than just eating the veggies/fruits themselves. Juicing is better than pounding back Doritos and Coke, but if you're eating a proper diet, with all your veggies, I'd just eat.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »

You don't balance your diet with juice. You balance it by eating real food. Weight loss does not need a jump start. You just eat less calories and move more often. Period. Like someone else said, juice isn't magic and no, it doesn't replace food - short term or long term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yeah but they (not necessarily me) would argue that science tells us that eating the correct nutrients will replace the so called 'food' you buy in the supermarket

Why not just eat the correct and appropriate nutrients...why would it have to be juice? Why not just eat more whole, nutrient dense foods and cook with whole, scratch ingredients. IMO, that would be far superior to just juice...and far more satisfying. Juice has to get old pretty quick....
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have done a juice fast and also the Master Cleanse. The juice fast was ok. I did it for 3 days. It's messy and takes a lot of food to make a small amount of juice. The juice tastes ok.

The Master Cleanse was amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone solely for the experience. You are allowed all the lemonade you want. The lemonade is made mixing fresh squeezed organic lemons, honey and cayenne (as much of each as you want/can tolerate for the cayenne) into water. You also take a colon cleanser... you poop a lot. The first day is easy. By the end of the second day I was crabby and got a headache. By the end of the third day the amazing experience kicked in. I could think more clearly than I ever have. My vision was better, I could hear better, my sense of smell was amazing. I think this would be the case with any fast, but this is the only one I've tried. By the 5th day I did need to eat. I wanted to last 7 days, but by the 5th day I was dizzy and weak. This is not something to try when you have obligations or need to maintain a physical lifestyle. I lost 10 pounds. Another benefit was that my stomach shrunk. I was full after less than half of what I normally would eat. This lasted for days.

Good luck to you!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is no logical, non-faith-based reason to fast except that you want to lose tons of weight as fast as possible and don't care much how it affects your health or your doctor has told you to do it. Other than that, fasting is either a game or a mental illness.

It is unlikely that a day of fasting will hurt an otherwise healthy person, though.

I haven't done this. I have trouble with religious fasting and do not do it for fun.
  • Branstin
    Options

People could argue science as much as they wish but at the end of the day, your body needs a certain amount of nutrients which you could get without the expense of any special juice diet.
  • Mudler
    Options
    Intersting, lots of replies, mostly against it. I'm not saying I'll try it and certainly not as a way to lose weight. I'm doing fine with this MFP thing so far and love MFP.
    It's the possible health benefits that may come from a short juicing period that I find interesting.
  • Branstin
    Options

What is it about a diet that needs or should be balanced? The reason I asked is because I don't want to see you or anyone else getting caught up in marketing terms which yields little to no value. If you are following MFP, the system recommends a balanced breakdown of your calories. The "Custom" feature allows you to change the nutrients percentage if a better balance is needed. I don't see any juice diet doing anymore for you than you can do for yourself.
  • Mudler
    Options
    I'm 52, I love crisps (potato chips) I love Coke, i love crappy fast food. I've been poisoning myself with all this rubbish for decades. The results of which brought me to MFP in the first place and I'm willing to bet a lot of other people as well.

So, my body is full of salt, sugar and probably far more poisons than i know of. So, a diet, any diet that re balances surely would be a good thing?

Longer term, a balanced eating diet without all that other stuff would be desired but for short term to re balance surely it wouldn't be a bad thing?
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have done a juice fast and also the Master Cleanse. The juice fast was ok. I did it for 3 days. It's messy and takes a lot of food to make a small amount of juice. The juice tastes ok.

The Master Cleanse was amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone solely for the experience. You are allowed all the lemonade you want. The lemonade is made mixing fresh squeezed organic lemons, honey and cayenne (as much of each as you want/can tolerate for the cayenne) into water. You also take a colon cleanser... you poop a lot. The first day is easy. By the end of the second day I was crabby and got a headache. By the end of the third day the amazing experience kicked in. I could think more clearly than I ever have. My vision was better, I could hear better, my sense of smell was amazing. I think this would be the case with any fast, but this is the only one I've tried. By the 5th day I did need to eat. I wanted to last 7 days, but by the 5th day I was dizzy and weak. This is not something to try when you have obligations or need to maintain a physical lifestyle. I lost 10 pounds. Another benefit was that my stomach shrunk. I was full after less than half of what I normally would eat. This lasted for days.

Good luck to you!

What made you use honey over Maple Syrup? Most books and articles I've read have strongly advised against the use of honey in the Master Cleanse and only using pure maple syrup. I've been thinking about doing it, but I just can't see it working for me with my schedule.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Like every fad diet - lost weight quickly - put it back on.

I'm all for juicing, but as part of a healthy, balanced diet, not the sole source of food intake.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Or - I know this is wild and crazy - you could try eating real food at a calorie deficit (if you want to lose weight) and eat foods rich in macro/micro-nutrients. It doesn't have that magical "silver bullet" appeal that a juice diet does, but everything that works doesn't have to be radical and ruin your underpants.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, I love crisps (potato chips) I love Coke, i love crappy fast food. I've been poisoning myself with all this rubbish for decades. The results of which brought me to MFP in the first place and I'm willing to bet a lot of other people as well.

So, my body is full of salt, sugar and probably far more poisons than i know of. So, a diet, any diet that re balances surely would be a good thing?

Longer term, a balanced eating diet without all that other stuff would be desired but for short term to re balance surely it wouldn't be a bad thing?

Since you've already made up your mind, why are you asking for input?

Nevermind that none of the foods you listed are "rubbish" or "poison." Some of us--self included--have lost weight eating what you have derided as garbage. And before anyone gets all "But the nutrientz!" at me, I hit all my macros, micros, and daily vitamin recommendations.

Several people have already told you that juicing/cleanses are expensive bologna with dubious premises. If you're looking for someone to affirm your opinion that they'll be just what you need to jump start your diet, maybe you should go find a group dedicated to it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The only thing magical is the amount of money that people seem to waste on these things.....
  • Mudler
    Options
    Wow, RivenV, I was asking for people who may have tried it, their opinions and what they thought of it, Chill out!
    I'm in 2 minds, I see it could be beneficial or it could be another scam. I really don't know and was asking peoples opinions. I haven't made my mind up at all about anything. I'm curious and yes those i listed aren't foods at all, they are junk and led me here in the first place, like I would be willing to bet, a lot of other people here
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

You can eat a healthy diet. That will help!

Your body isn't full of poisons it doesn't need. It gets rid of anything it can't use or doesn't want. If it cannot get rid of these things, you will eventually require a doctor. Juice won't help.

If you want to do a juice fast, just do it. You don't need anyone's permission.

• Branstin
    Options
    You have not been poisoning yourself because food is not poison. You have been eating a surplus of calories which is the reason you landed on this site along with the rest of us. Now, that we have the tools in place, the weight will come off while we continue to consume potato chips, fast food, and Coke if that is someone's choice.

Juice diets do not rebalance anything. Meeting your body nutrient requirements while eating at a calorie deficiency, getting adequate rest/sleep, keeping your body well hydrated, and exercising are the requirements for balancing the body.