Struggling with my sweet tooth

Options
So this keeps happening today I went to the gym done about 300 calories or just a little but more than that. I come home go into the fridge and bam there's the cheesecake I've been craving all morning. It's so frustrating I feel like I'm un doing all the work I've just done. I need something to replace cake I love all my fruits but I just find that there very exspensive and only last me a few days, any suggestions to keep me away from my beloved cheesecake!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dont buy cheesecake.
  • sophieeleanorxx
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Lol there is no need to be rude my friend lives with me I can't band her from buying cheesecake.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Stop buying cheesecake.

Buy fruit. You can get it frozen pretty cheap. Certainly not as expensive as cheesecake, lol. Eat fruits. They're very sweet, generally low-cal and healthy!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen strawberries, cut up and freeze bananas. Put them in a food processor with a little milk and some vanilla, and process until smooth. It is like soft serve ice cream except nutritious and something like 200-260 cals for two cups! :D
  • sophieeleanorxx
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Stop buying cheesecake.

Buy fruit. You can get it frozen pretty cheap. Certainly not as expensive as cheesecake, lol. Eat fruits. They're very sweet, generally low-cal and healthy!
    I stopped buying cake and chocolates and things a while ago it just sometimes in the evening I think about that red velvet cake that I seen in the shop earlier haha! I don't know what it is fruits just don't satisfy me enough I don't feel full after I'd had them.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    And stick the cheesecake inside a grocery bag so that when you open the fridge you don't see cheesecake, you just see a bag.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit. It lasts longer than fresh, is just as nutritious, and is better than cheesecake (nutrionally speaking).
  • sophieeleanorxx
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Buy frozen strawberries, cut up and freeze bananas. Put them in a food processor with a little milk and some vanilla, and process until smooth. It is like soft serve ice cream except nutritious and something like 200-260 cals for two cups! :D
    Thank you so much!! Sounds yummy going to pick some up tonight :smile:
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you really want your cake then eat a smaller portion and workout longer. If I know I am going to have a sweet I earn it first w exercise....although I do save my daily dog walks for a nice treat once a week.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    You have a few choices, actually.

Tell your roommate that she should forbid you from eating her cheesecake. If you're the kind of roommate who would not violate such a request, then you won't eat the cheesecake.

Find an alternative. There's plenty of recipes online for high-protein, low calorie cheesecake-like things of various sorts. Cheesecake muffins, shakes, puddings, whatever tickles your fancy. If you must have cheesecake, this is a pretty good option to have your cake and eat it too.

Lastly, you could exercise your self-control muscle by either deciding not to have the cheesecake, or by having a smaller portion and fitting it into your calories.
  • Mazzino
    Options
    Can you limit yourself to enjoy just one bite? I don't deny myself a taste of anything i really love because it makes me miserable. However, I will savour the moment and then walk away. Hopefully that can work for you too.
  • planxt
    planxt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!!! I have that struggle as well. Glucerna, the brand for diabetics, make these tasty little 80 calorie snacks that are chocolate and peanut bars. The are small, but kinda filling. Also, weight watchers has a 100 calorie strawberry cheesecake frozen snack that's low fat. At worse, there are 100 calorie snack packs from Keebler that are dark chocolate cookies. Emerald makes 100 calorie packs of chocolate or cinnamon covered almonds. The trick is to keep moderation and not eat several packs at a time, lol. Good luck in your endeavors!!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you want a slice of cheesecake, earn the calories ahead of time and enjoy.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You can always find a produce market to buy your fruit. You can also buy frozen fruit for smoothies. I find having one after my workout is quite refreshing.

Also you can just use self control and say no. Either way it will not hurt you to have a portion controlled slice and making it fit towards your daily calorie allowance. No harm there right?!

Cheesecake is my favorite of all desserts. Nothing beats that for me, but I can't tell you the last time I have had some. If I get a slice from the cheesecake factory, I break that slice up into several bites over a few days. I do not deprive myself of it, but I know that sometimes my self control goes out the window.

Option 1: Moderation (make it fit)
    Option 2: Just say no
    Option 3: Ask roomie to be kind enough to support your weight loss journey (even though its not their problem)
  • livingbalanced9
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth too! I have been indulging in 2-3 homemade chocolate covered strawberries when I'm craving something sweet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You have a few choices, actually.

Tell your roommate that she should forbid you from eating her cheesecake. If you're the kind of roommate who would not violate such a request, then you won't eat the cheesecake.

This is actually what I was thinking. Back in the day when I used to live with a friend we didn't share food unless we specifically bought it to share, so I was never tempted by anything she bought--it just wasn't for me to eat.

More generally, if there are times that you find your will power is low (like right after a workout) maybe plan a scheduled snack at those times. Cheesecake has fat, so I can see why fruit might not be satisfying--maybe try yogurt (they have dessert-like flavors) or some nuts with the fruit or a protein shake if you like them right after the workout.

If it's not a will power issue but missing foods you've cut out, figure out a way to fit little treats into your calories. For whatever reason I'm great with moderation on ice cream (I think part of it is I have no built in excuse like "I better eat it before it goes bad" like with homemade baked goods), so I tend to fit in a serving of that quite frequently. Knowing that I will have my post-dinner ice cream makes it easier to ignore other treats unless they are truly special and worth it.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile for the cravings to go away. They can get really strong at first but taper off as you eat more fruits, veggies, water, and limit your carb and starch intake. (don't completely get away from it but moderation is the key) Now I find I can't drink pop without getting grossed out, don't crave too many sweets anymore, and when I do have some sweets I find I can only consume half a slice instead of a full slice. I find it's way too sweet and too much sugar is not good.

Will power is the key, try consuming a piece of fruit and wait a good half an hour. That will curve your craving pretty well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If it's specifically cheesecake.....DannonLight & Fit Greek has a good tasting strawberry cheesecake yogurt. Crumble a bit of graham cracker if you've got it. Grapenuts cereal is a nice crunchy add-in too.

Weight Watchers makes some frozen desserts. Not terribly low calorie, but having single serve portions are nice.

That said, I make room for chocolate everyday. Maintenance will be about portion control, not about giving the food up forever.
  • sophieeleanorxx
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm just going to set out my food for the week I think and concentrate on working out twice a day and going to work I won't have enough time to think about cheesecake then lol xx
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Lol there is no need to be rude my friend lives with me I can't band her from buying cheesecake.

I just dont understand why such a simple task requires discussion and such complex suggestions. Just dont buy/eat the cheesecake.