Body Combat Instructors and reviews

Options
Hey everyone! I'm planning on becoming a LesMills Body Combat Instructor and i was wondering if anyone had any tips they could give me as to how to better myself as an instructors. I have some of the dvds. Only 54 and 55 right now and i'm doing them and trying to memorize them as much as possible and get into the flow. I'm planning on going in for the instructor training june 20th.

Also it would be really great to hear some reviews from people who are or have taken the class. Did you like it? Why or why not?

Replies

• sdokeefe
    sdokeefe Posts: 29
    Options
    I do body combat 3-4 times a week, initially i hated it but now i love it. Our instructor always makes a really good point of saying to new members of the class that it does take a few classes to get used to the moves so to keep coming back. I found this really helpful, especially when you can't keep up and are going the opposite way to everyone else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Instruction isn't just about the moves. As kickboxing instructor, I've had to assess how some new instructors teach and the one usual criticism is the lack of getting the class "engaged". Voice inflection, when to turn it up, when to tone it down, not being repetitious with sentencing (IE okay just 4 more reps and saying over and over each set).
    Unless it's a choreographed class (which personally I don't like to do), then the members that attend follow your cue and don't know if you're doing the moves right or really wrong. It's more important to make their workout, THEIR WORKOUT. That's why I work the room by moving to the back sometimes, to the side, to the corners, and not just stay at the front.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I teach Martial Arts but Body Combat is COMPLETELY different because it's goes with the music and theres only so much explaination time. For Martial Arts I make sure to explain each step specifically - especially because i'm a stickler for technique.

The way its shown is that you do the moves with the group and then make small corrections in front of the class.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I really really like Body Combat but haven't done a class in forever because I'm in love with a new class called Shred (Jillian Michaels inspired)... anyway, be tough is all I have to say. The more tough and motivating the instructor is, the better the class is. I found that when the instructor lacked that je ne sais quoi, the class sucked. High energy is required and focus is a definite requirement for the instructor.

I've done classes with so many different instructors it's crazy (probably about 10) and the thing that kept me going to certain instructors was their love for their job really they want to motivate and help you and will teach you the techniques required for the best workout.
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    Hahah I have a degree "Being a hardass" I'll take that into account and make sure to push them then.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Please have TONS of energy! I've taken les mills classds many many times and I hated the days that I got stuck eith this one instructor who was so monotone. My favorite instructor was always smiling and energized!
  • pattiezee
    pattiezee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our instructor actually took a few minutes before a class one day for a quick "kicking clinic," where she showed us the proper kicking techniques and what the striking surface of your foot should be, etc. She held up a mat and got each of us to do roundhouse, side, front and back kicks on it and she told us whether we were doing it right/wrong, and how to correct our kicking techniques. You often don't have a lot of time for explanation so this was extremely helpful.
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    @pattiezee - that sounds like a WONDERFUL! idea. I will absolutely steal that. I teach Martial arts martial arts. So seeing bad kicks hurts my soul. I know these people aren't all martial artists so I won't go too technical on them. But giving them the basics would be a great idea.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I have two Les Mills programs under my belt (RPM and CxWorx) and let me tell you that those modules are rough but totally worth it. Most likely a few weeks before your module you will be assigned 1-2 tracks that you must know for that weekend. It is ok if you are not perfect at doing them as your instructors will guide you through it both days. When you walk in be prepared to do the entire class right off. That is how they warm you up. You will end up probably doing the entire class about 5 times over the weekend. Not including drills. I am told Combat is one of the hardest modules physically.

Best of luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask :) Also, do you know who your instructors are for the module?