The 3,000-calorie Thanksgiving dinner -- myth or reality?

Options

Replies

• mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'd be full but it can be done without much effort.
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Butter. Butter. Butter.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    ksolksol wrote: »
    Every year about this time a diet industry group puts out a dire warning that we're all going to eat 3,000 calories (average, anyway) on Thanksgiving dinner alone (not counting snacks and other meals) and the media laps it up unquestioningly. Nowhere have I ever found how they tallied this.

For funsies, I put together what a 3,000-calorie dinner (2,965 per USDA Supertracker) might look like:

half pound turkey, dark and light meat, skin eaten
    6 ounces ham
    A full cup each mashed potatoes (made w/butter & cream cheese), dressing (with meat), corn, and green beans cooked with mushroom sauce
    1/2 cup giblet gravy
    A dinner roll with a full tablespoon of butter
    Two cups of garden salad with avocado, topped with 3 tablespoons blue cheese dressing
    A slice of cranberry sauce
    A slice of pecan pie with 2 tablespoons heavy whipped cream

Granted, it IS easy to eat a lot more on Thanksgiving than intended, but I think saying the "average" holiday meal is 3,000 calories is exaggerating a bit. I'm a pretty healthy eater, and I'd be physically ill if I tried to eat that much in one sitting.

If anyone knows how the 3,000-calorie dinner was originally calculated, I'm all ears.

1 slice of pie? LOL

That's not nearly as funny as TWO tablespoons of whipped cream... she meant CUPS.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Just for the record, the claim I've seen is not 3,000 for the day, which is more than doable. It's 3,000 for the single meal alone, plus 1,500 in snacks and drinks, plus two other meals, so more like 5,000 - 6,000 for the day.

Do most people eat two other meals on Thanksgiving? I might have a very light breakfast; but after that, it is one long, leisurely snack / appetizer / meal / dessert lasting from early afternoon until late afternoon / early evening. I would admittedly be hard-pressed to get 5k - 6k for the day without seriously hitting the booze hard.

I was thinking that too. I usually try to have something fairly small in the morning - maybe a piece of pumpkin bread, or just a baileys and coffee while I'm cooking... then the grazing begins about noon, meal at 2, dessert at 4, post family encounter wine b/w 7-10 then pass out...

OP you also failed to consider the calorie burn during Black Friday shopping....

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. 6 oz of ham...that sounds like a lot of ham haha. And so does a half pound of turkey. But come thanksgiving dinner time, I think our yes are definitely bigger than our tummies. I'd say it's plausible, especially considering the fat and sugar laden dishes we tend to eat at that time. Green bean casserole, candied yams, candied carrots, buttered corn, sweet rolls, Brussels in bacon fat, stuffing, cranberry relish, hello salad, cornbread pudding....everything is coated in fat, butter, and sugar. Without all those extra ingredients the dinner wouldn't be so bad, but there's a lot of hidden calories in the way we prepare the food.

That being said, if there's one time a year I'm gonna load up on too much food, it's an appropriate time to do so. Otherwise, nonono, not worth it.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Eyes* Jello* typos...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Eyes* Jello* typos...

I was wondering what hello salad was. I didn't know if it was like, "HELLLOOO, SALAD"which didn't make sense in the context, or if it was called that because you eat it first, like when you are first saying hello...

Honestly the fact that it was a typo for jello never occurred to me, but we don't have jello salad at Thanksgiving!

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I hit 2k in pie alone
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I can totally see 3,000 calories. Especially with the kind of stuff on our table for Thanksgiving. I tend to eat more dessert than usual on this particular holiday, which isn't hard to do since I'm not really a big dessert eater on a normal basis. However, I will probably be lucky to get away with only 3,000.
  • TN42
    TN42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    > Only one serving of mashed taters
    > Only one slice of pie
    > Only one roll
    > Only a half pound of turkey
    > No sweet potato casserole covered in brown sugar and butter

Lol, your list is like an appetizer compared to what I'm used to. I don't know how they calculate it, but 3000 seems absolutely reasonable, maybe even too low.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Myth. I do not believe intake on that day is only 3k.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't like eating until I'm uncomfortable but I do like nibbling on appetizers before dinner and sweets after... and drinking some Kahlua. So, while I may not sit down and eat that much at Thanksgiving dinner, I'm sure the day adds up to 3000 calories no problem. My strategy will be MFP's "weight neutral" Thanksgiving and back to normal the next day.

Weight Neutral Holiday

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm making it a goal to eat 15K this year.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I bet I eat that much. Maybe more.

No way to know as I'm not making it, but between the GB casserole, apple dish, corn casserole, Mac n cheese, potatos, stuffing, gravy, rolls, butter and massive amounts of cranberry sauce, I'll do fine. Plus turkey, which is always the smallest part of my plate(s).

Then there is the cherry pie. And pumpkin bread. And fudge...I may skip the fudge, but I doubt it.

I'm glad I can't log it. :grinning:

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I would love it if I ate only 3000 calories on Thanksgiving.

Because both my parents and in-laws are crazy, we eat two full Thanksgiving dinners every year, and that includes dessert at both. And because they crazy, I usually finish the night off with a bottle of wine when we finally get home. So there is another 600 (or so) calories right there.
    LOL! You said so much in so few words. Enjoy your Thanksgiving(s) or should I say Good Luck?! :)

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. 6 oz of ham...that sounds like a lot of ham haha. And so does a half pound of turkey.

it may sound like a lot, but it's really not.

'they' say 4oz of chicken is like the size of a deck of cards. 2 decks of turkey is pretty easy to destroy. it's a vehicle for gravy and potatoes, remnants get stuffed into biscuits and slathered with cranberry sauce...8oz of turkey is plate #1.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love thanksgiving food, especially pie. Its just one day (maybe two if we get leftovers this year) so I'm not worried.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My thanksgiving plate will be heaped with "funeral potatoes", bread rolls, green bean casserole... and a beer to drink. Then I will go BACK and get pumpkin pie with cool whip, and apple pie with ice cream.

Thats like eleventy billion calories, surely.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Every year about this time a diet industry group puts out a dire warning that we're all going to eat 3,000 calories (average, anyway) on Thanksgiving dinner alone (not counting snacks and other meals) and the media laps it up unquestioningly. Nowhere have I ever found how they tallied this.

For funsies, I put together what a 3,000-calorie dinner (2,965 per USDA Supertracker) might look like:

half pound turkey, dark and light meat, skin eaten
    6 ounces ham
    A full cup each mashed potatoes (made w/butter & cream cheese), dressing (with meat), corn, and green beans cooked with mushroom sauce
    1/2 cup giblet gravy
    A dinner roll with a full tablespoon of butter
    Two cups of garden salad with avocado, topped with 3 tablespoons blue cheese dressing
    A slice of cranberry sauce
    A slice of pecan pie with 2 tablespoons heavy whipped cream

Granted, it IS easy to eat a lot more on Thanksgiving than intended, but I think saying the "average" holiday meal is 3,000 calories is exaggerating a bit. I'm a pretty healthy eater, and I'd be physically ill if I tried to eat that much in one sitting.

If anyone knows how the 3,000-calorie dinner was originally calculated, I'm all ears.

1 slice of pie? LOL

Seriously, lol!

I'll probably have 1500 calories in dessert alone (the thing that's going to limit me is that we'll only have 5 desserts for 16 of us, but I hope I can have some of each). Then another 500 in cheese and crackers. Then another 800 in the meal itself (plus 200 from rolls probably!)...

So yeah... not a problem. And I don't even drink.

It will just take a couple weeks to lose the extra weight, and then it will be time for Christmas :D

Do most people eat two other meals on Thanksgiving? I might have a very light breakfast; but after that, it is one long, leisurely snack / appetizer / meal / dessert lasting from early afternoon until late afternoon / early evening. I would admittedly be hard-pressed to get 5k - 6k for the day without seriously hitting the booze hard.

Yeah breakfast and a snack.

Last year I was only 2100 calories but we didn't go anywhere.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Granted, it IS easy to eat a lot more on Thanksgiving than intended, but I think saying the "average" holiday meal is 3,000 calories is exaggerating a bit. I'm a pretty healthy eater, and I'd be physically ill if I tried to eat that much in one sitting

I think it is perfectly possible that it is average to eat that much.
    I have just eaten with my dh and dd the last few years on Thanksgiving and we scaled the amount of food back quite a bit. Turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, gravy, asparagus, one fruit dish, and one pumpkin pie, butter, whipped topping, no alcohol, drinking water. It looks like it will come in around 800 calories for lunch and we would probably have another 800 for the evening plus any snacks.
    When we went to big family dinners- usually two in one day- you had to try appetizers, ham and turkey, 5 side dishes minimum, 2 desserts at least, sometimes wine or pop, and snacking as well. So full! We never ate breakfast. Starting at noon until bedtime we were just eating. I believe we were consuming a lot more than 3000 calories. No wonder people can't move that day!