How much do people pay for gym membership?

Options
Im looking at joining a gym and im a complete noob, so just checking the prices everyone else pays

Im in the east of England

Thanks

Daniel

Replies

• krupskaya
    krupskaya Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    £26 for unlimited use of the gym and all classes.
  • krupskaya
    krupskaya Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in South Wales btw.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US.

I paid $55/mo for Lifetime Fitness and it was worth every penny.

I pay $10/mo for Planet Fitness and it isn't worth it.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    £40 a month unlimited gym use at nirvana fitness in east of england
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership. However, I do have a zumba membership at a local dance studio. It's $65 per month for unlimited classes. I can go every day of the week if I want to! I love it!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    £52 pcm.peak.includes health mot,90 min induction,personal training plan and access to on floor trainers,all classes and laned,lifeguarded pool.over 100 cardio machines and 2 weight studios.fully recommend nuffield gyms if in budget and nearby.
    my bud pays £10 pcm for another,basic weights only gym.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I am sadly getting dropped off my family plan next month. I am the US and will be paying $42/month for a YMCA with full fitness center, lap pool, and group exercise classes included. Worth every penny.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US, I pay $14.95 a month for Crunch Fitness. I love it, I feel like I'm actually stealing from the gym because it's so cheap compared to the amount of hours I'm there, plus my husband gets in for free as my guest, so it's like 2 for the price of 1 lol.
  • Stev0lved
    Stev0lved Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In the US as well. I pay $90 for a 6 month membership at my local gym which is owned by the city. Some of the equipment has a little rust on it, but they have two power racks, it's never packed with people, and the price is right. The hours could be better though.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm in the US.

I paid $55/mo for Lifetime Fitness and it was worth every penny.

I pay $10/mo for Planet Fitness and it isn't worth it.

I read lots of bad opinions about Planet Fitness on these boards. What's the deal? I've never been to one, so I'm really just being nosy as to why...
  • arizonahiker
    arizonahiker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    41 a month at Mountain Side Fitness. Love the gym but its getting really crowded lately.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    £40 a month which includes classes, swimming, and gym anytime. I'm in the South East and it's just the local council run gym. I did belong to a Bannatynes a few years ago and that was £52 a month.

I also pay for personal training sessions at my gym, and that's 5 sessions for £99.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm getting robbed at 55$ a month at mine, but its only 2 miles from my house and I can run back home and get ready here. US here
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    £40 is $63 apparently, according to an online currency converter. And this is quite cheap for a UK gym membership, especially in the South.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    $35 a month @ Anytime Fitness, includes classes and open 24 hrs!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ive done this recently and would suggest what you want and will use.
    You need to go round and visit to get an impression, especially if its your first gym.

Things I found were important.
    Location= difference between going and not. Thats why I switched gyms.
    Friendliness and availability of staff/ atmosphere. All gyms vary.
    Signing for a long term contract or just a monthly one, easy to get out of.
    Equipment. look at the free weights area and see if its full. Busy times are avout 4-8
    Google reviews, some local small gyms are much nicer than the big chains.
    Access hours and free parking. Some gyms are 24/7.

I looked in the chain called The Gym and they looked pretty good although it was brand new. If you want pool, sauna etc they cost extra. Prices for UK gyms i think are about £14-£55, so it varies a lot. The cheaper gyms are obviously more basic, but they still have all the equupment. Look for special deals as well o.e after Christmas then there will be a big rush. Please go and visit each one as they do vary in character and what suits one person will not suit another.
  • curlygirlknits
    curlygirlknits Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with 999tigger above. Check out the places close to where you are. Try them out for a while, before getting locked into a contract, even if that means a few extra dollars (pounds) the first month or so. We have an inexpensive community rec center membership, but I don't use it very often. I joined a CrossFit box three months ago and LOVE it. It's more money, but worth it, because I go regularly. Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Over the past 10 years, I've had different kinds of memberships. I've had an $8 per month membership and loved it, and I've had more costly memberships and hated them.

Right now, I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. I belong to the Equinox and pay $200 per month. I can attend any branch and they offer amenities like eucalyptus-scented towels (hot and cold), free razors, face and body lotion, mouthwash, etc. Their locker rooms are so posh you don't even need your own lock, you program the locker each time.

I can reserve Spin bike on their phone app 26 hours ahead of time - not just a place in the class, but a specific bike.

Lastly, they have celebrity trainers and the place is very, very well maintained.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Xercise4less stoke 9.99 a month peak unlimited use and all classes
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada - when I had a membership I had it for $23/month including all classes etc.. and the daycare option. But when the renewal time came, the price was jacked up (we joined under a Father's Day special) so I refused to pay double to re-join...
    -