Gym

Options
Do I really have to go to the gym.... I don't know how to use properly use the equipment to get its best results?

Replies

• w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    No, you can use your bed for exercise
  • katerz86
    katerz86 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    w734q672 wrote: »
    No, you can use your bed for exercise

Yup
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    there are YouTube routines you can use. or dvd's. but many people lose weight without the gym. I, however, need the gym and the equipment. if you don't use the gym, you need to be super dedicated. make sure you add strength training in your routine, not just cardio.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Nothing is mandatory. If you want to go to the gym, but feel intimidated, find a buddy to go with you.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You technically don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. In fact, the way MFP is set up, the calorie goal has nothing to do with the amount of exercise you do. Your daily goal only changes when you actually log activity in the exercise diary. However, for better health and mobility, and a better physique, it is a good idea to at least get some activity in.

Gym's aren't a necessity though. You can walk or run or bike outside. You can purchase cardio equipment for your home or do one of the hundreds of workout DVDs available on the market. You can even go on Youtube and do many workouts for free!

For strength training, weights are needed but you can get started without them. Begin doing body weight exercises like squats, lunges, sit-ups, push-ups, planks, leg raises, etc. For homemade weights, all you need is a couple of gallon jugs. (note, this idea stolen from nerdfitness.com) Full to the top with water, they'll weigh a little over 8 pounds per jug. If 8 is too heavy for you at first, just fill them up 1/2 way. Once 8 isn't enough, you'll want to invest a little money in hand weights.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all. I lost the first 42 pounds without having set foot in the gym. I did follow established routines for exercise though. I started off with 3 days/wk of C25k and 3 days of a bodyweight routine (first the Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight workout and then switched to Start Bodyweight's basic workout. )

I now belong to a gym but only go once or twice a week. I mostly workout at home.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No . You should first start off by moving a bit more. Its only natural you might be cautious or nervous about a gym if you have never been before. Part of the weight journey I think is learning to retake some control in your life and conquering some fears.

Just walking, swimming or a sport is a great start and you can walk more generally as part of daily life.

You can also do stuff at home.

If you join the right gym , then you will normally get an induction and , then they will set you up on a program adjusted to your level of fitness. They will show you how to use the machines safely. When you go after you simply follow the plan. You should be doing some cardio and some weights/resistance training maybe an hour 3x a week+.

You are looking towards getting a slight raise in heart rate, so its reasonably stressful or the weights till you find the limit of what you can just manage to lift. Everyone starts somewhere and no one is looking at you as they are busy doing their own thing. As pointed out above health and fitnss benefits of being stronger arent directly related to weight, but burning calories and protecting muscle mass will be. Gyms are useful for that. If you find the right gym, maybe a community one, see how they treat you. If you dont like it after a visit find another.

You dont have to go and some of the gym is quite boring plus hard work, bit once you know what you are doing you become less self conscious, worry less and start to see improvements as your strength speed and endurance get better. This will happen if you exercise correctly and make an effort plus you keep going. That will increase your confidence and it will play a part in weight loss, but its still 80% diet. They really are nothing to be afraid of if you pick wisely, but it might take you a month or two to settle in. If you are putting in moderate effort then it could assist in helping you lose 1/2lb a week (c500 cals per visit). If you do no exercise then you are relying purely on eating less, which is less flexible and you wont get any of the health benefits. Hope you have the patience and self confidence to find the right one and give it a try for at least 3 months. You dont have to love it, but you should appreciate how it adds up to supporting your weight loss plan, even though the majority of hat is calorie counting and portion control.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a semi-recumbent bike and a glider thing that's like a Gazelle (action like cross-country skiing) at home. By shopping sales, I've spent just under $200 total. Home is my gym. It's not fancy and it's not high-end but it gets my heart rate up and works my muscles.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    do you have any desire to learn your way around the gym or do you want to eliminate it entirely because you don't want to have to learn how to use the equipment?

Like.. do you want resources to help or alternatives?
This discussion has been closed.