How do you lose 500 cal/day for 2lb/week weight loss?

TerryKes
TerryKes Posts: 35 Member
I'm eating 1200 calorie/day and in order to lose my goal of 2 pounds a week, I need to have a 500 calorie/day deficit. So, my questions is, where does that come from? I exercise and that gives me extra calories, do I not take those into consideration and stick with the 1200 calories? I don't want to be unhealthy and feel that less than 1200/day isn't a good idea or liveable. Anyone have any answers or help for me? Thanks!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I could not achieve a 500 calorie a day deficit, so I just didn't worry about it. At 5'1" and a TDEE of about 1600, the best I could do was about 250 calorie deficit. But that's okay, I got to my goal and have been there for two years. So my advice is to not worry about losing 2 pounds a week.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    There are only two ways, as we all well know. Most formulas say a 500 cal daily deficit results in a one pound weekly loss, btw, not two. (maybe I'm wrong) So you would have to increase your exercise. But since you only have 25 or so pounds to lose, according to your ticker, a 2-pound weekly loss is impractical and will be quite difficult to achieve. Congrats on the 17 pound loss though. :)
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    You eat the 1200 calories, and whatever you exercise and earn are extra calories. So say, 300 extra calories. You'll eat 1500 for that day (1200 +300 earned). Myfitnesspal has already factored in the 500 calorie deficit for you!! If you don't feel comfortable eating all the exercise calories, at least eat 1/3 to 1/2 back! They are necessary to fuel your body, and you're right. You probably won't always be able to live on 1200. Some people can/do, but thats another story! (Based on their height, physical activity, ect...)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    edited November 2014
    If it gave you 1200 calories for a 2 pound deficit (which should be 1000 calories from maintenance), then 2 pounds is probably too aggressive for you. Change it to 1 pound per week, which may still put you at the 1200, and eat back your exercise calories.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    edited November 2014
    Why is it said that you have burn 3,500 calories to lose 1 lb, if 1 lb of fat contains 4,082.328 calories? I'm stumped.
  • donnasinc
    donnasinc Posts: 114 Member
    Yep, this is a question I was asking myself. Not really sure but I think malibu927 is right. I think 1 pound a week is making more sense. I started with the 2lbs per week goal but soon found myself frustrated with the fact that I was eating 1300 calories, exercising in another 400 calories, not eating it back but not losing more than 1 lb per week. There is still something that does not make sense to me.... hmmm
  • TerryKes
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I think you're all correct, the 500 deficit/day is for a one pound loss, not two. I was hoping for a two pound/week loss, but couldn't imagine cutting that many calories. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, working out and eating right. :smile: Thanks, especially, LeonCX and r5d5. (And I guess I'd forgotten folks can see your 'ticker'.) :blush:
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    edited November 2014
    shifterbrainz, When you lose weight, you are not only losing fat, even thought the would be nice :) . I am guessing 3500 is an approximation of the amount of calories it takes to burn off 1 pound of weight, which is probably a combination of fat, muscle, and water.
  • TerryKes
    I could not achieve a 500 calorie a day deficit, so I just didn't worry about it. At 5'1" and a TDEE of about 1600, the best I could do was about 250 calorie deficit. But that's okay, I got to my goal and have been there for two years. So my advice is to not worry about losing 2 pounds a week.

What is the most important thing you've learned about maintenance? That's something that's eluded me, and, well, I think it's been elusive for the vast majority!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    sing809 wrote: »
    shifterbrainz, When you lose weight, you are not only losing fat, even thought the would be nice :) . I am guessing 3500 is an approximation of the amount of calories it takes to burn off 1 pound of weight, which is probably a combination of fat, muscle, and water.

Thanks for the response! It sounds reasonable so I'm going to crunch some numbers and see if that takes me anywhere. Internet search reveals some really "crazy" theories but I can't find anything that I can honestly say addresses this. Hijack is over, sorry :(