Dieting?????

So i started a Diet called the Military Diet and you got to follow this meal plan for 3 days then off for 4 then back on again, and so on. well my question is, when you have kids and a boyfriend/ husband you cook for as well, do you find it hard following a strict diet while feeding everyone else food you cant eat?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Use the search function to have a look at threads on the military diet.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Is there any way your man can take the load off of you and cook for himself and the kids during your "on" days, while you prepare your own meals, and you cook for everyone on the "off" days? There's no reason why you should have to do ALL the cooking just because you're female!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Why do you think this diet is sustainable? I have not been successful with any plan that had the word "diet" in the title. Also, everyone who lives in a home and eats and is over the age of 12 should be participating in the meal planning and preparation.
  • gothchiq
    Word, Sherry! XD Hubby and I view cooking together as a romantic activity, but I know not everyone is the same lol.
  • SherryTeach
    Yes, I find cooking with my boyfriend a romantic activity as well. We turn on some music, open a bottle of wine, and batch cook together every Sunday afternoon. It's lovely.
  • daynamaria25
    daynamaria25 Posts: 4 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Is there any way your man can take the load off of you and cook for himself and the kids during your "on" days, while you prepare your own meals, and you cook for everyone on the "off" days? There's no reason why you should have to do ALL the cooking just because you're female!
    Boyfriend works 3rd shift
  • gothchiq
    Rats! So... how about throwing stuff in the crock pot to cut down on amount of effort?
  • SherryTeach
    So the boyfriend does some cooking when he is home and awake and you do some too. I don't live with my boyfriend, but we actually share the cooking by each batch cooking and portioning out servings and then splitting the results.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    just create a calorie deficit and eat less of what you all already eat…you do not need "the military diet" to lose weight….
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    I had to google the diet, I had never heard of it. It seems kind of extreme. Day 1, breakfast is what my grandma used to eat at breakfast each day. Can you stick to a diet like that without cooking for the kids and husband? How much weight are you trying to lose? I would rather just count my calories and follow the weigh and log everything I eat plan while eating at a deficit.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    If you're having trouble sticking with it, it's the wrong diet for you. There's nothing magical about the foods on that list. Use the tools here to count the calories in your food, then build a sustainable food plan around the meals you and your family enjoy.

And to answer your question, no, I don't find it hard. I cook for my kids and husband as well. We eat taco salad ... I have fewer taco chips and pass on the cheese and sour cream. We eat steak ... I have a smaller portion. My kids eat dessert ... I skip it or have a bite. We order pizza ... I have one slice and a big green salad. Pretty easy, really.
  • daynamaria25
    daynamaria25 Posts: 4 Member
    the hardest part is the cravings...
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    The Military diet is kind of extreme. It would probably be easier to create a small deficit day by day, rather than a really large deficit three days of the week. Doing the latter could result in either a) binging on the days where you're not eating at a deficit, therefore achieving no real weight loss or b) developing an unhealthy relationship with food, as the effort to maintain such a diet could be hard. I usually see that diet used temporarily for quick weight loss. Such as for events, like weddings. But generally, the person has no plans of maintaining the weight loss or the dieting plan. Long term, it would probably be easier for you and your family if you took a smaller deficit daily.

When I was battling the worst of my eating disorder (which involved restriction similar to that, but daily not just three days a week), yes... I found it hard to feed others when I knew I 'couldn't' eat the food. It was stressful being around so much food, feeling like I couldn't. The thing is, you shouldn't feel like you can't. Any diet that causes you stress around food is not a sustainable diet. Now that I am trying my best at recovery, I am allowing myself to eat foods that I once would not. It is still stressful, but the more progress I make, the less stressful it is.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    is this something that you can sustain for your lifetime? how about making a lifestyle change with your food choices that you can sustain for the long haul?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Diets are rubbish. Avoid.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    is this something that you can sustain for your lifetime? how about making a lifestyle change with your food choices that you can sustain for the long haul?

THIS - it's all about a sustainable lifestyle change.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Make healthy meals for your family, ones that are nutritious and good for everyone. There are a huge amount of sites (as well as recipes on MFP) that you can choose from. Everyone can eat the same food and enjoy the benefit of eating healthy. Just pay attention to portion sizes. Prep raw veggies and fruits for snacks and keep on hand for the times you feel the need to munch. Worked well for me. I lost over 160# and my husband benefited from healthier eating as well. He was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in Nov 2012 and because of eating healthier, in April 2013 he was cleared by his doctor of being pre-diabetic. It was that quick. Try to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable. It benefits the whole family.