How do I stop basing what I eat off how skinny/fat I feel?

sparx350
sparx350 Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Alright, so here's the problem. I recently (through the course of the last 11 months) lost 90 lbs. I've never been this weight before, since probably 13 years old. 138 lbs at 5'6". Great news! But the problem is I wake up feeling skiiiiiiny and happy and want to eat a house because I'm thinner than I've ever been. I wish I could just feel, I don't know, balanced and not have my mental hunger based on how thin I feel. Any thoughts/similar experiences? I REALLY don't want to gain this weight back.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Congratulations on your loss, its fantastic! You need to remember how you got here, by eating in moderation. Live your life, but be conscientious as you go forth of portions and using moderation.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    edited November 2014
    Good job on the loss, now comes the really hard part--maintaining. I plan to do that in much the same way as I've dieted. Figure out how many calories you can consume per day, taking into account your planned exercise, and your macros. Then plan all your meals for the week (like X number of days a week, I'm going to have eggs and toast for breakfast, etc. and a different dinner for each night, so you have variety), go shopping and buy only what's on your list. It's a great way to save money, too. IIFYM is a great site for figuring out your TDEE and your macros at the same time.
  • sparx350
    Thanks for the advice, guys. It's hard realizing that my former life of eating out a lot is over. I guess what got me through the last year is that goal out in front of me, now that I'm there I want to celebrate, but if I do that it's all going to come back. Ugh, I don't want to be that super obsessive calorie counter forever, but the only other option is, well, fat.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    You can still eat out. Hubby and I are going out for steak this weekend, while we're both dieting. Just take a few moments (preferably before you leave the house) to check out their menu and see what'll be your wisest choice.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Like you, I'm now at a weight I haven't been in decades. Unlike you, I'm still fat.

Congratulations on your loss!!!!! Go you!

That's all I have. No personal experience to share. But I think the fact that you're concerned and giving it thought puts you way ahead of the game. :)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Good for you! I'm also really interested in the question of maintenance, having lost a lot and regained it.

Here's what I plan to do for maintenance:

Once I'm at my target weight, I will POST it over my scale, with a -/+ 5 lb range. As in "My weight should be 138 lbs, no less than 133 and no more than 143 lbs".

Weigh every day.

If your weight falls UNDER the range (132 or lower), then you're not eating enough. Your choices are: a) change your target to your new goal, if you're happy with how you look and feel, or b) add more food to keep the whole thing sustainable.

If your weight falls OVER the range (144 or higher), then you have to immediately go back to the strict version of the plan than helped you lose weight. Whatever you've slipped up on (tracking, snacking, exercise, or whatever), tighten it up until the scale shows the target number again. Or make a conscious decision to change your target to something more sustainable.

Having it written down will (in my opinion) make it harder to unknowingly regain pounds and pounds.

I also plan to log calories forever - it's a task adults should do like balancing their checkbook and cleaning out the fridge. I find that keeping track of what I eat helps me make better choices. No matter whether I'm at my target weight or not, I'm eating better with tracking than without.
  • sparx350
    @kalikel- I think that's the hardest part! Getting to a weight you've never been before and still pushing for more loss! 155-138 was extremely rough for me.

@zarckon, happycampr- I guess I understand the 5 lb weight range, but what happens with me is I eat a lot one day and the next day I'm 5 lbs heavier…now I know I didn't gain 5 lbs of fat, but I feel like fasting until I'm back within my weight range….not a healthy way to live.

I'll figure it out, I hope. It's easy in theory, but I wish it was more natural and intuitive instead of second guessing myself before I put anything in my mouth. I don't want to be preoccupied with food anymore. I guess what I'm saying is I want to be "normal" (aka non obsessive" and still at my goal weight. Hard. To. Do.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Ugh. Just so you know I am there with you. A tantalizing 15 or so pounds away from goal weight and I want to eat more to celebrate. Working through it.
  • silentKayak
    So make it a 7 lb range. Or use an app like Happy Scale that tells you your TRUE weight regardless of daily fluctuations. Either way, the scale should be able to tell you when you're on track for maintenance and when you're actually gaining. I recommended 5 lbs because with the method I use for weighing, my weight never varies more than 3 lbs from day to day. So if I think I'm 138 and I weigh in at 143, I KNOW I have actually gained at least 2 lbs.
  • silentKayak
    @HappyCampr1, I think that's right. My hubs maintains that way. He watches his weight carefully and flies into action after a 7 to 10 lb gain.