Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ladies, what do you bench press?

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Bench is my weakest lift. I have monkey arms that favour deadlifting. My best in contest is 121lbs at 121lbs bw. My best touch and go in the gym is 130lbs at 122lbs bw.

Typically in a meet I'm one of the first to bench because the weight is one of the lowest and one of the last to deadlift because it's one of the highest. A lot is dependent upon your body structure.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Bench is my weakest lift. I have monkey arms that favour deadlifting. My best in contest is 121lbs at 121lbs bw. My best touch and go in the gym is 130lbs at 122lbs bw.

Typically in a meet I'm one of the first to bench because the weight is one of the lowest and one of the last to deadlift because it's one of the highest. A lot is dependent upon your body structure.
    That actually sounds good, spreads out the rest for the money maker lift.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

That actually sounds good, spreads out the rest for the money maker lift.

That's right :smile: That's where I pull up in the pack.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Just curious what women consider to be the goal in bench pressing? Like I have always been told since a kid A guy should be able to bench his own weight for 10 reps...Took me a long time to hit 200lbs for 10 reps but I did, Not sure if there was any truth to this but it always gave me something to shoot for. Anyways What should women be shooting for?

BTW some great lifts on here Girls!!!!

The best you can. Whatever that is.

I don't know if I could bench my body weigh 10 times- 10 reps is a lot (least to me. I'd be happier putting up 215 once than 160 ten times.

Depends on your goal- just shoot for "the best I can do" and you keep setting new milestones- that's the thing with lifting- there is always more weight to add.

Even if I got to 160 x 10 reps- I'd make a new goal- 175 x 10. A goal is just a single tiny point... on a long line of training.

Sounds good, You're right more weight is a means to no end! keep up the great work!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I can rep out anywhere from 135-155 depending # of reps.

my 1 RPM is 185 currently.

The BOSS!

I wish one of my old FR ladies was still here, she also benched 185lbs at around your weight.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    ok now im depressed as hell.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    my best after 3 years is pretty much the starting weight of a chick half my height and weight.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited November 2014
    yoovie wrote: »
    my best after 3 years is pretty much the starting weight of a chick half my height and weight.

There is always someone that lifts more, has lower BF, is taller, prettier etc.... Just do you Yoovie!

My lifts suck compared to others in my powerlifting weight class back in the day
  • dbmata
    yoovie wrote: »
    It happens. My trainer's brother has a client. Beautiful amazon of a woman. Comes in full make up, hair did, cutesy nike training outfit.

Squat warmup is 225. She doesn't look like she lifts at all. I see her and go... aw hell naw. Push harder.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Everybody here is really strong! Great job.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Fantastic numbers! Another monkey armed bencher here, finally broke through a long plateau and hit 145 for a single.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    After dealing with a torn rotator cuff for most of the year, I'm up to 70lbs x 5 sets/5 reps.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OMG, you all are so impressive. I just started a couple weeks ago, my 1RM was something like 50 pounds (!!), and my first bench press rep set after a few other upper body exercises over the past 10 days, my trainer had me press I think.....yeah, the 50 pounds (the bar and two dinky little 2.5-lb plates!) for my 5x5. That's it so far for me!!! What inspiration, though--I would love to see me get up to 100 lbs or more. My upper body is so weak....obviously....

2.5 lbs on each side is still more than so many other people out there are even willing to press. Be proud that you're doing it and know that you'll get stronger in time.
    Agreed. CarlydogsMom, you are stronger than you think. There are women out there with a 1RM bench under 50 pounds.

Thanks, MrM27 and ForecasterJason! I'm really having a great time, and will continue to check in with results--
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Did 3 reps at 50kg tuesday...um so 110lb? Have only been doing it about 5 weeks though
  • dbmata
    ya'll done good there.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Warmup with 1x10 @ 95lbs, for my working sets depends on the number of reps I'm doing...right now for 8 repsx4 I lift 125lbs
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    My squat is only 10lbs more than my bench. I suck at the squats. :'(
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Jeez, any tips or advice as to how I can improve (increase weight) on bench pressing. Thus far my max is 4 reps at 40#. I would really like to add more weight, but 40# is a struggle for me.

Great job!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2014
    amessam8 wrote: »
    Jeez, any tips or advice as to how I can improve (increase weight) on bench pressing. Thus far my max is 4 reps at 40#. I would really like to add more weight, but 40# is a struggle for me.

Great job!

Follow a program that has you increasing reps and/or weight on a regular basis. All Pro's beginner, Stronglifts, etc. Also, your diet can play a factor. I don't mean "clean eating." I mean eating enough to fuel your body, whether at deficit or maintenance or while gaining weight.
  • dbmata
    amessam8 wrote: »

Great job!

and really review your form. Keep in mind as well, you can lift more with a barbell than a dumb bell. Open grip, elbows in at 45 degrees, right bar path, and bringing the bar to your nipple line. (Well, I don't know if that's right for women...)