• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    oh that's the one you switched from? ok
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The protein powder I use is 100 calories per scoop for 18 grams of protein and one gram of sugar. Then I just usually add fruit so it's 200 - 250 calories total. If I feel like turning it into a real meal, I might add half cup of lowfat milk, tablespoon of peanut butter, half a banana and some chocolate syrup and that packs quite a few calories (350 - 400).

This is the stuff I like:
    http://www.vitaminworld.com/whey-protein/womens-whey-protein-0070066632.html

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    v_woolf wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't think so. Mine by itself is 170 for a scoop (42 grams) and it has 2 grams of sugar. Protein is 30 grams. I guess it would depend on the nutrition you are getting from your powder. It also depends in how much milk you are using (some use 125-250 ml). .... Take care :)

What protein powder is this? This is the highest calorie to protein ratio I've seen I think.

I don't think that's really such an unusual ratio. The protein powder I use on the daily is 114 calories/ 27.3g protein. Seems to be pretty high quality as well -- it was recommended by my powerlifting coach.

http://www.truenutrition.com/p-947-whey-protein-isolate-cold-filtration-1lb-milk.aspx

Oh...Makes sense. Mine has a little less protein than that but I forgot. 114 is a lot better than 170 though. What powder is this?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. Btw it's 24.6g protein per serve.

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/thermowhey
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use Garden of Life Raw chocolate...I like it because it has some vitamins, probiotics, enzymes and a sprout forumula to add vitamins, and it's still only 90 cals for 17 grams protein and less than a gram of sugar. I usually mix two scoops and a spoonful of PB2 with two cups of unsweetened almond milk, so it ends up being right around 250 cals.

I also have some BodyFortress at 170 cals for 30 grams protein, but I don't like the quality as much. Still, it's tasty and cheap, so sometimes I supplement with it instead of my GoL Raw if I'm not hungry, since I only have to use one cup of almond milk instead of two to mix the one scoop.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Silly question, but I like the idea of adding peanut butter. Do you put in a dollop in your shaker and shake? Does the pb mix in properly rather than stay in a clump?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 which is a powdered peanut butter. It mixes beautifully in the shake and has fewer calories than real peanut butter.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. Btw it's 24.6g protein per serve.

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/thermowhey

That is actually 110 cals per serve :) and yes, BN make good products.
  • Christine_72
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Chrisdavey is that 110 cals with or without milk? Sorry, don't have the pack in front of me at the moment.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but I like the idea of adding peanut butter. Do you put in a dollop in your shaker and shake? Does the pb mix in properly rather than stay in a clump?

I make my protein shakes in a blender (I have the magic bullet). That way I can add ice and things like PB. When I just do it in the shaker it comes out too clumpy, especially if I add extras. I would say if you're going to add PB (the real kind, not powdered), you'd need to blend.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Chrisdavey is that 110 cals with or without milk? Sorry, don't have the pack in front of me at the moment.

That is the powder only per their website.