Fluctuating Scale

Options
So I went to the supermarket and weighed myself on the Higi Machine. Hmmm it weighed 8 lbs lighter than my home scale. When I got home I weighed myself in the usual spot, sure enough 8 lbs heavier. I moved the scale 5 ft away and it was then 7lbs lighter. Has anyone had different weights based on where you place your scale?? If so which weight would you go with?

Replies

• mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes. The scale at my pool tells me I'm about 5lbs lighter than the one at home. And my scale weight varies depending on where it is. I put it in the exact same spot every time, and even put my feet in the exact same place on the scale. It might not be 100% accurate, but I tend to believe it's pretty close. There was one time however that it gave me a really wonky number, and I suspected the battery was getting low so I changed it. The next day I weighed what I suspected I should've, the day prior. :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. I went through different scales and kept thinking they all sucked because I would get inconsistent weights. Finally I realized the ground was just weird in my bathroom or something, because when I placed the scale elsewhere it was consistent.

In your case I would go with the lower weight since that's what your gym scale said too, and keep placing the scale in that spot for weigh-ins. Or you could always just take an average of the different weights you get. Your actual weight isn't as important as just seeing whether you're making progress.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i used to have my scale on a hard floor and never move it in my old house, I have no option to do it anymore. I like to weigh first thing in the morning, naked, after a pee. There's no privacy in our house to do this, our bedroom is carpet, and the ensuite is tiny, no floor space at all to leave a scale where it won't get moved.
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I also have to put away, and take back out our scale every single time. Which is actually a good thing. If it was sitting right there, I would be far too tempted to weigh myself every day and for me, that is not a good thing.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My sister solved the irratic weights on her scale by placing it on a piece of 3/4-inch plywood and sliding the board under her bed. When they want to weigh in, they slide the board out without moving the scale and then slide it back under the bed.

I keep my scale in exactly the same place all the time and still get differences ... so I usually weigh myself, step off for a minute and then weigh myself again.

Just like you, I've gone through multiple scales, expensive, cheap, inbetween ... none of them seem consistent.

Try the solution my sis had. I don't do it cause I can't get down on the floor to pull out the board, otherwise I would.