Newbie - my advise to stengthen your core is ....1, 2, 3 GO.....

Options
Give me your tips for getting that core nice and strong. Just starting back, 52 yr old female weighing in at 198 - surprisingly strong in every area except core and upper body strength.

I'm great with cardio - (Zumba, Spin - an hour on the treadmill - no problem) but need to get strong in the core area.

So you're the coach - to get a strong core I would suggest....1, 2, 3....GO! :)

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Free weight lifting program built around compound lifts. These will use your core to stabilize the movement giving it a workout without any core specified movements. They will also strengthen your upper body. I started with strong lifts 5x5.
  • drekay12
    drekay12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yoga... Power Vinyasa for sure.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lift some free weights. You use your core in the bench, the row, the overhead press, the deadlift, and the squat.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Planks (sides & back), situps (front, side, back), rotations (both planks & machines).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Heavy ones.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Definitely free weight compound lifts...also, plank progressions, and if you want a gadget, get a Swiss ball. You can do all sorts of crunches, planks, jacknives, etc. etc. on them.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Definitely free weight compound lifts...also, plank progressions, and if you want a gadget, get a Swiss ball. You can do all sorts of crunches, planks, jacknives, etc. etc. on them.
    Maybe you can do jackknives - right now I can do a plank....VERY newbie with a lot to lose. My goal is consistency. thanks everyone for your tips. I will have to look up what you mean by 5 x 5 and compound lifts but I'm learning and this is a work in progress. Thanks again guys for the info.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Pilates... my God how my abs hurt after a workout!!
  • poopypantsadnil
    poopypantsadnil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try doing classical stretch
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Jefit app for your phone. Do the abs exercises in that app.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think I've been focusing on cardio so much and need to balance it with some Yoga and like you said Classical stretch - I like that idea. Going to also add in some planks while the commercials are on when hubby and I are watching t.v. Ya'll are so awesome with all these ideas. Have to be honest sometimes as a newbie I look at the success stories or the suggestions and think I'm not so sure I can get this ole bod to do that (like jackknives or pull ups) but then there's the other side of me that says Bring it on! I'll let you know how it goes....keep sending the tips so this newbie can be a success story!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - Free weight compound lifts...particularly squats and dead lifts.

2 - Any number of core exercises like planks in all their variations and progressions, hanging leg raises, swissball jacknives, etc. Just say no to crunches and sit-ups.

3 - do some more dynamic core stuff like kneeling wood chops and mountain climbers.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, back extensions, planks.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    keep sending the tips so this newbie can be a success story!

I'd say ThePhoenixIsRising gave the best answer. Follow a standard, full-body strength program (NROL, Stronglifts, etc). A strong core comes from working your entire body.