Calories

Staying below my calorie goal is easier than I thought it would be! :D

Replies

• Make sure you are eating small consistent meals. I found out the hard way, not eating enough or eating 2-3 massive meals can do more harm than good.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    meda903 wrote: »
    Make sure you are eating small consistent meals. I found out the hard way, not eating enough or eating 2-3 massive meals can do more harm than good.

This is not true. Eat whenever it suits YOU. I'm commenting from my husband's account, but you can check out my diary (username SusieQ_1994) and see that I eat 5-6 small meals per day, but my husband eats three large meals. Some people would want to gnaw off their arm eating small meals, since they NEVER FEEL FULL, and others can't go for a long time in between meals and prefer to break them up.

TL;DR: Do what works for you in terms of meal size and timing; don't pay attention to anyone who says you have to eat a specific number of meals or at a specific time.

All the best!!! You sound like you have it well in hand! :D
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Make sure you are eating small consistent meals. I found out the hard way, not eating enough or eating 2-3 massive meals can do more harm than good.
    Would you like to say more about your experience, especially the problem with 2-3 massive meals?

I'm on a sort of mini-crusade against blanket generalizations that assume everyone's body responds the same. They don't. The way I see it, each of us is an experiment with only one subject, and it's up to us to find out what works for us and what doesn't. One size definitely doesn't fit all.

Regarding 2-3 massive meals: Well, in the first place, with my daily goal (1450 calories) it would be hard to eat even one truly massive meal. But I do prefer to eat larger meals. Small ones simply leave me unsatisfied, still hungry.

So here's what I do. It's a type of modified fast. I confine my eating to approximately the hours from 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. The other 16 hours of the day I don't eat anything. Typically my first, afternoon meal is the largest (600 - 700 calories). Then I may have a small snack before dinner, a 500-calorie dinner, and another small snack or dessert.

It works well for me, but I'm not suggesting it would necessarily work well for anyone else. I've found I don't mind feeling a bit hungry before 2:00. It just feels like an extremely late breakfast!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    ASG_21 wrote: »

This is not true. Eat whenever it suits YOU. I'm commenting from my husband's account, but you can check out my diary (username SusieQ_1994) and see that I eat 5-6 small meals per day, but my husband eats three large meals. Some people would want to gnaw off their arm eating small meals, since they NEVER FEEL FULL, and others can't go for a long time in between meals and prefer to break them up.

TL;DR: Do what works for you in terms of meal size and timing; don't pay attention to anyone who says you have to eat a specific number of meals or at a specific time.

All the best!!! You sound like you have it well in hand! :D

Yep, all of this. I eat 2 big meals a day and it keeps me very full. Other people do better with smaller frequent meals.