Has anyone lost body fat by doing cardio only?

Options
124»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Phill2488 wrote: »
    The popular opinion on here is that to lose body fat you need to do strength training, but as anyone on here lost body fat with no strength training and only cardio? Stomach fat especially

I guess the next question is, what kind of stomach do you want? Honestly, if you don't have low enough body fat and adequate muscle, then you won't have abs. So at some point, you might have to lift and even more, you might have to bulk to get abs if that is you goal.

Personally, i exercise to reach my goals, not set goals based on my exercise. And for the type of body I want, resistance training is a must.

no

If you say so. I have seen plenty of times where people are underweight and still don't have abs and still have stomach issues. And the only way it was corrected was by adding mass. But if you feel you want to expand, please do.

underweight ≠low body fat.

low body fat % =/= abs either.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The popular opinion on here is that to lose body fat you need to do strength training, but as anyone on here lost body fat with no strength training and only cardio? Stomach fat especially

I guess the next question is, what kind of stomach do you want? Honestly, if you don't have low enough body fat and adequate muscle, then you won't have abs. So at some point, you might have to lift and even more, you might have to bulk to get abs if that is you goal.

Personally, i exercise to reach my goals, not set goals based on my exercise. And for the type of body I want, resistance training is a must.

no

If you say so. I have seen plenty of times where people are underweight and still don't have abs and still have stomach issues. And the only way it was corrected was by adding mass. But if you feel you want to expand, please do.

true. some people just are not genetically predisposed to showing abs.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    true. some people just are not genetically predisposed to showing abs.

Very true.. but like I originally stated, you might have to bulk. It's not a requirement. Once you get to a low body fat, you have to evaluate composition. And at this point, there is no way to fully determine how the OP's body will look.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    you will lose bodyfat if you're ina calorie deficit, regardless of exercise.

Thank god. I hate strength training. An unpopular opinion I know, but I find it really boring, and I've tried everything to make it more fun, but nothing has worked.

You will lose if you eat less than you need calorie wise - BUT by not doing any strength training, you may become "skinny-fat" as you arent toning any muscles.
    - Also, as you get closer to goal, you may be losing Lean Muscle Mass as well as fat - which you don't want...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

no

If you aren't working your abs or you are starving and lost a lot of muscle this would be true. If you workout you should see at least something like any other muscle.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's all about the deficit, which is mostly achieved in the kitchen. Strength training helps retain muscle mass while losing.