I want my abs to Pop. Please help

Options
Hi all,
New to fitnesspal so not too sure if I have posted in the correct message board.

I want my abs to pop. I like the defined look (the distinct definition) especially the "v" line.
I weigh 8.8 stones, 24 inch waist, I work out 5 times per week.

I'm looking for the correct kind of advice and so I'll provide a little more info RE my daily routines. What am I doing wrong? Why am I not seeing results?!

I don't really engage in strength training. I constantly do cardio (I follow the insanity programme workouts mostly) I also use the machinery at gym such as the treadmill. I put the intensity all the way up and walk at a fast paste. The only weights I do is deadlifts.

I eat aprox around 1600 cals per day (excluding cals lost from excercise)
I have protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat things like peanut butter, sunflower seeds, fish, seafood, chicken, prawns, protein shakes and crab meat. My carb intake is low but I do eat vegetables low in carbs. I also eat watermelon or pineapple prior to working out.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong? Can anybody recommend sources of foods, the amount of cals I should be eating, the amount of protein I should be getting in, and recomended excercises which focus on the abs?

Thank you in advance! The Help is appreciated!

Replies

• Mindbodysoulabc
    Options
    Hi all,
    New to fitnesspal so not too sure if I have posted in the correct message board.

I want my abs to pop. I like the defined look (the distinct definition) especially the "v" line.
    I weigh 8.8 stones, 24 inch waist, I work out 5 times per week.

I'm looking for the correct kind of advice and so I'll provide a little more info RE my daily routines. What am I doing wrong? Why am I not seeing results?!

I don't really engage in strength training. I constantly do cardio (I follow the insanity programme workouts mostly) I also use the machinery at gym such as the treadmill. I put the intensity all the way up and walk at a fast paste. The only weights I do is deadlifts.

I eat aprox around 1600 cals per day (excluding cals lost from excercise)
    I have protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat things like peanut butter, sunflower seeds, fish, seafood, chicken, prawns, protein shakes and crab meat. My carb intake is low but I do eat vegetables low in carbs. I also eat watermelon or pineapple prior to working out.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong? Can anybody recommend sources of foods, the amount of cals I should be eating, the amount of protein I should be getting in, and recomended excercises which focus on the abs?

Thank you in advance! The Help is appreciated!

Just to note, I do not want to become anywhere near bulky! I want to stay lean. I just want abs and that is all!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont give your height, but your weight is fairly low, so it may be that even though your bodyfat is low you dont have enough muscle mass for your abs to 'pop'... a couple of bulk/cut cycles might help?

also, start strength training!
  • Mindbodysoulabc
    Options
    you dont give your height, but your weight is fairly low, so it may be that even though your bodyfat is low you dont have enough muscle mass for your abs to 'pop'... a couple of bulk/cut cycles might help?

also, start strength training!

Hey, thanks for te reply! I am 5"5.
    What kind of strength training? I'm not at all familiar with weighs. Just stuck in my normal routines!

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just do ab workouts on a decline bench (as opposed to flat on the floor), then add a 10lb weight on your chest, the next week 15...etc etc. abs are a muscle group, feed them in the kitchen, lift heavy for them to grow
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just do ab workouts on a decline bench (as opposed to flat on the floor), then add a 10lb weight on your chest, the next week 15...etc etc. abs are a muscle group, feed them in the kitchen, lift heavy for them to grow

Pretty much this. You're most likely thin enough but need to build up your ab muscles. Definitely start strength training as well...you won't get bulky. Heavy squats build up your abs just as much as any ab routine.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Abs are a result of low body fat, you look to be around 19-20% body fat. Drop your bf% and your abs will pop more as well as the V-line.

You can build strength in a deficit but not muscle.

If you are eating in a surplus you can add some(very little muscle) as it is hard to do, though if you have fat on top of it, you will not see.

At age 45, I have visible 6 pack and I don't do any exercises to make it show. I eat pumpkin pie, ice scream, doughnuts, peanut butter cups almost daily. Though I'm on point with my cal intake.

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Abs are a result of low body fat, you look to be around 19-20% body fat. Drop your bf% and your abs will pop more as well as the V-line.

You can build strength in a deficit but not muscle.

If you are eating in a surplus you can add some(very little muscle) as it is hard to do, though if you have fat on top of it, you will not see.

At age 45, I have visible 6 pack and I don't do any exercises to make it show. I eat pumpkin pie, ice scream, doughnuts, peanut butter cups almost daily. Though I'm on point with my cal intake.

This. Except I'm a 32yo female who had a visible six-pack until I started bulking up again in October.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Funny topic because just past night my partner told me her new goal is to get at least the top 4 go be visible by the summer. I want to be as encouraging as possible but reality is a "b". Going to have to come up with a game plan.

Well, I'd post photos to illustrate the results of how I got mine, but I'm pretty sure it'll be removed by the mods and I'll get my 4th strike.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Funny topic because just past night my partner told me her new goal is to get at least the top 4 go be visible by the summer. I want to be as encouraging as possible but reality is a "b". Going to have to come up with a game plan.

Well, I'd post photos to illustrate the results of how I got mine, but I'm pretty sure it'll be removed by the mods and I'll get my 4th strike.
    You have 3 strikes? Wtf? For what?

You can start a new thread on the topic specifically and maybe some of the women can get some real advice on the topic. I would probably ask her if she's okay with me posting pictures of her to get feedback. She'd end up popping in after I post. She just hates using forums but she does pop up when I send her the specific link.

Honestly, still trying to figure that out. Unfortunately, I'm not very tech savvy and can't post a pic to save my life LOL
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

You can start a new thread on the topic specifically and maybe some of the women can get some real advice on the topic. I would probably ask her if she's okay with me posting pictures of her to get feedback. She'd end up popping in after I post. She just hates using forums but she does pop up when I send her the specific link.

Honestly, still trying to figure that out. Unfortunately, I'm not very tech savvy and can't post a pic to save my life LOL

What did the moderator write when they gave you the warning or was it just people flagging you?

Looks like just flagged...one for spam, and twice for abuse. Funny, I reviewed the guidelines this morning and am not in violation of any of them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What did the moderator write when they gave you the warning or was it just people flagging you?

Looks like just flagged...one for spam, and twice for abuse. Funny, I reviewed the guidelines this morning and am not in violation of any of them.

you can get flagged by other members for anything, doesnt matter if its actually abusive/spam or whatever. people flag anything they just dont agree with.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

you can get flagged by other members for anything, doesnt matter if its actually abusive/spam or whatever. people flag anything they just dont agree with.

Yeah, I'm noticing.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Abs are built in the kitchen. Meaning BF% will make or break ab definition. If you are already at a low BF% then I would start a dedicated ab routine. If you are on some kind of heavy lifting routine your core should get work from the various different lifts and pop some from that. The past few months I have been on a gain cycle so my abs are not the best but when I am on a cut and my BF% is lower they start to be revealed.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yeah, I'm noticing.

I honestly didn't realize there was a 'strike' system here... Oo

and to OP - what Dannyboy said.
  • 19rosehill
    19rosehill Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So in regards to abs being built in the kitchen- when you have your body fat low enough to specifically work it in routines - I'm confused about everything I've read re macros and fats nutrition.so should a person in this case not eat fats/ tiny amount ? Or is it more about ensuring an overall macro calorie deficit?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    19rosehill wrote: »
    So in regards to abs being built in the kitchen- when you have your body fat low enough to specifically work it in routines - I'm confused about everything I've read re macros and fats nutrition.so should a person in this case not eat fats/ tiny amount ? Or is it more about ensuring an overall macro calorie deficit?

You need to be at a low enough BODYFAT, not to be confused with dietary fat. You should absolutely still consume dietary fat.
  • 19rosehill
    19rosehill Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great thanks for that.