Couldn't complete the first day of C25K. :(

Options

Replies

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Last year, I couldn't jog for 30 seconds, let alone jog/run for 1-3 minute intervals. I recently completed week 3, although I think I might repeat and then try week 4. The worst that can happen is I have to repeat week 3 several times. :D
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run the first day either. Maybe completed half of the 60 second run intervals. But it does get so much better! I ran/walked my first 5k last weekend in 40 minutes, which seemed impossible on week 1 of C25k. Keep going! Slowly :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Slow down in the running portions even if it feels that you are going backwards in time...

The point of the first few weeks is to get your body accustomed to the the stress imposed on it gradually so even if it feels like you are doing nothing other than brisk walking have at it.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    When I first started I could barely walk around the block without feeling like I was dying! Just keep it up, keep trying and you will be able to do it! Just repeat days or weeks until you feel like you can move on!
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Keep trying! Just do as much as you can, and try to do a little more the next time. I'm doing C25k, too, and am taking it pretty slowly. If I can't make it through each run, I walk a bit, then finish the rest of it if I can. If I can't, I'm always able to do it the next time.

And ditto what many have said above -- you may be trying to go too fast. I made that mistake at the beginning. Since I've slowed my pace, I've been able to complete the jogging portions more easily.

The way I look at it, it's about building endurance in a way your body can manage it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't challenge yourself, but it's o.k. to take it slowly when needed. Rome wasn't built in a day, right? :)
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! There was good advice given already. But if the coughing persists, you might talk to your doctor about exercise-induced asthma.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    There are more than one C25K programs. The one I used started with only 2 minutes of running the first day. Maybe you could find one that starts out a little easier? Also, if you struggle one day, just repeat that day instead of moving forward. Congratulations to you for taking the first "step"! Running has changed my life and I hope it can do the same for you!
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do you have asthma by any chance? I was like that years ago when I started running and that's when I found out I had exercise induced asthma. Something to consider possibly. Good luck with c25k :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    youre supposed to build up to it. C25K is meant to be repeated when necessary.

getting fit is about GETTING fit, not just all of a sudden BEING fit. It's an evolutionary process and you gotta be nicer to yourself.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking up the program. It may be difficult now, but keep at it. As others said, go even slower now and build off of what you can do.

If it makes you feel any better, my first time back on the elliptical a couple of years ago I had to stop after 5 MINUTES because it actually felt like my heart was going to pound through my chest. A lot has happened since then (including having a child) but I've been more consistent with exercise in general and this past June I completed my first 5k - I jogged the entire time.

Hang in there, you got this!!
  • PudgyToPrincess
    PudgyToPrincess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I came back to a barrage of wonderful messages! Thank you all sooo much, I feel a ton better. I'll try to slow down and work on my breathing. I felt like such a snail, but I suppose I'd rather look silly now and work on speed later than just give up. Thank you again! I'm almost crying from all the positive comments! <3
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad!! You took the first step and so many people are toooo scared to try.

First time I ran was for 5 squares of sidewalk, srsly.

First time I ran a whole block (1/10th mile) I was all bouncy giddy. It took me a very long time to work up to a mile. To this day, I am not an endurance runner, I run a 1/2 mile to a mile and then stop and walk a bit and then take off for a little bit again. It may not be the way everyone runs, but it's what works for me - and comparing myself to others' progress all the time, won't help me move forward!
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    At least you go out there and did SOMETHING!
    Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone is different so not being able to complete a set training plan on your first attempt is not too important.
    You did get out and run a bit and if it was more than you ran before then that's progress.
    A lot of beginner runners get put off by going too hard to begin with.
    Start small.
    I first ran to the end of my block - I have no idea how long this took, 2 mins maybe?
    For me that was enough to start, the next time I ran a little further/longer - baby baby steps.
    Don't be disheartened just keep at it.
    Don't wear yourself out trying to do too much too fast - small progressions will mean you're less likely to get put off and become injured.
    I'm excited for you that you started and you'll see the progress soon!
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    There are programs that will start you off slower but still get you to the 5K.

This one is a 28 week program. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I tried it at around 260 pounds and it took me three weeks to work up to being able to make it through week 1 and I was pretty proud of myself for it! I quit after three weeks though because even that little bit of running was really taking a toll on my joints. I know some people can run at a very heavy weights but for me it was not good and I didn't want to damage myself! I'll try again when I get down to around 200 pounds.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You have already had 2 MAJOR successes. first, you got off the couch and did it, 2nd you are talking about doing it again. That, to me, is 2 very big wins! keep it up!
  • Juju1970
    Juju1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. It took me almost a year to complete the couch to 5k program. I redid each run over and over until I finished it. Just move. Whatever you do your body will thank you for it.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    14 minutes sounds really impressive to me - I have never been a runner and haven't tried C25K but that is because I really just know I wouldn't be good at it. So good job - it takes time to get going and it sounds like you had a great start if you ask me!

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Reread the instructions,, pretty sure I remember it saying to:

1) go as slow as you need to and
    2) repeat the same day as many times until you finish it before moving on

that tells me they already know some people might not be able to finish it straight through and so there is no need to feel like a failure you are still doing the program as they designed it and meant it to work.