marathoners using vibrams

pipcd34
pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
hello, are there any repeat marathoners that run in vibrams out there?? I've done one and thinking about doing another but have questions.

Replies

• pietomb00
    pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
    Yep, Hello :)
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2014
    All of my marathons were run with 0 drop shoes but not Vibrams
  • shillyfitb440
    shillyfitb440 Posts: 6 Member
    I have done 3 Marathons in Vibrams :smile:
  • pipcd34
    thanks for the replies. i got some cramping in the calves, and in front where the ankle leads to the foot (sorry can't think of what that is) did you have any special issues due to vibram use? i've been running in them for about 4-5 years now. i am wondering if it was because not enough salt tablets to help me retain water or something else.... i was thinking about trying the compression calve wraps to see if they will help. the bottoms of my feet had no issues and no knee pain at all. i'm 55 and about 135lbs. any thoughts or suggestions? this last marathon was done in about 4-1/2hrs
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Wear real shoes. Vibrams are a sham, hence the big payout they have to make to all their consumers.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Wear real shoes. Vibrams are a sham, hence the big payout they have to make to all their consumers.
    Lol... the payout was because people were stupid and whiny and lazy and didn't take their time in adjusting to zero-drops. For whatever reason, I simply cannot run in anything but minimalist zero-drops. Those fluffy marshmallow shoes that the specialty running shoes hawk nearly crippled me. If the OP's issues just came up after 4-5 years of Vibrams, I pretty certain it wasn't the shoes.

But at the end of the day, everybody has to run in what makes them feel good and healthy... and you, SDM, clearly have found shoes that totally kick *kitten*....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Lol... the payout was because people were stupid and whiny and lazy and didn't take their time in adjusting to zero-drops. For whatever reason, I simply cannot run in anything but minimalist zero-drops. Those fluffy marshmallow shoes that the specialty running shoes hawk nearly crippled me. If the OP's issues just came up after 4-5 years of Vibrams, I pretty certain it wasn't the shoes.

But at the end of the day, everybody has to run in what makes them feel good and healthy... and you, SDM, clearly have found shoes that totally kick *kitten*....

Yep, and they're marshmallow shoes lol. And racing flats ;)

I had Vibrams for a few months. They did force my stride to change, but that's about it. Now I see people wearing them in public, with jeans, etc... Ugh

• pipcd34

Sorry, but that's not going to happen, vibrams for me are real shoes
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    They are still a sham in the sense that they aren't at all "natural". IE - who the hell "naturally" has crap shoved between their toes forcing them into abnormal angles? Regardless, I wear Merrell "Barefoot" shoes as my everyday normal shoe- which are like the Vibrams in that they are really just a foot covering with no support, but they don't have those ridiculous toes.

However when I run, I wear either Newton Distance (1mm drop) or Saucony Kinvaras (4mm). Both obviously are a little more than "minimal" but they are still not quite conventional running shoes.
  • pipcd34

very true... there is a process to get used to them, you just can't start running in them from the get go, you'll kill yourself. to each their own
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I use both vibrams and Brooks Pure Connect and rotate them based on how I feel any given day.

A couple of years ago when i first started using vibrams I was a vibram purist which led to a broken foot, pulled calf, and plantar fasciitis.

So, I'm not a purist anymore but I do find them very comfortable to run in several times a week.
  • pipcd34
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I use both vibrams and Brooks Pure Connect and rotate them based on how I feel any given day.

A couple of years ago when i first started using vibrams I was a vibram purist which led to a broken foot, pulled calf, and plantar fasciitis.

So, I'm not a purist anymore but I do find them very comfortable to run in several times a week.

thanks for the input
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Hi OP, I do not run in vibrams... or minimalist for that matter because they don't work for me. But that's not the point of my post. I was responding to your inquiry about the cramping. Most of the time cramping is due to an imbalance of some sort. It can be a number of things so I can't say exactly what your particular imbalance was. However, if you are only now having trouble with cramping etc, I would venture to say that it's not the shoes, but your fueling that could be the culprit.

Did you change anything that you had been doing as far a fueling? If it wasn't the fuel, were you running on a different surface than you are used to?

I would suggest to look at your fueling and then even suggest that regular massage could be helpful. From what you described it could have been posterior tibilais that was giving you trouble. Both anterior and posterior tibialis can be quite tight depending on your stride and gait. A sports massage therapist would have some techniques to help reduce tightness and keep your ankles happy. Just my two cents. Happy running!
  • pipcd34
    Hi OP, I do not run in vibrams... or minimalist for that matter because they don't work for me. But that's not the point of my post. I was responding to your inquiry about the cramping. Most of the time cramping is due to an imbalance of some sort. It can be a number of things so I can't say exactly what your particular imbalance was. However, if you are only now having trouble with cramping etc, I would venture to say that it's not the shoes, but your fueling that could be the culprit.

Did you change anything that you had been doing as far a fueling? If it wasn't the fuel, were you running on a different surface than you are used to?

I would suggest to look at your fueling and then even suggest that regular massage could be helpful. From what you described it could have been posterior tibilais that was giving you trouble. Both anterior and posterior tibialis can be quite tight depending on your stride and gait. A sports massage therapist would have some techniques to help reduce tightness and keep your ankles happy. Just my two cents. Happy running!

thanks a lot... I was thinking about compression socks for the calves on my longer harder runs. I found that they are supposed to be for after the run but I have seen people use them during their run.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Is the cramping a regular occurrence? How often does it happen, and how long has it been going on?
  • pipcd34
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is the cramping a regular occurrence? How often does it happen, and how long has it been going on?

no not often at all, not regular. i'n a year round bike rider as well. it only happened when I did the full marathon, didn't happen on the 1/2 distances that I have done.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »

no not often at all, not regular. i'n a year round bike rider as well. it only happened when I did the full marathon, didn't happen on the 1/2 distances that I have done.
    If it only happened that one time during the race then a likely cause is extreme glycogen depletion if it happened towards the end.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

If it only happened that one time during the race then a likely cause is extreme glycogen depletion if it happened towards the end.

I agree. If it's an isolated incident, it's probably not tied to the shoes (nor any other constant like that). Probably something diet/nutrition related.
  • pipcd34

I agree. If it's an isolated incident, it's probably not tied to the shoes (nor any other constant like that). Probably something diet/nutrition related.

Thanks, what would u suggest that I should have had more of or concentrate on eating