i just cant seem to eat right

Options
i started this thing off strong. eating right and excersing. now im falling off track. only excersing i do is walking to and from the train for work which is 15 mins both ways. im not eating right at all. well some days i do but others i dont. i cant seem to stay away from my favorite places. chipotle for example. i go overboard with the cheese and sour cream. i took my daughter out to eat at golden coral. now who would go to an all you can eat buffet when trying to lose weight? had 3 plates smh. i want to lose weight so bad but it never lasts long. i always eat back what ive lost. i need someone who feels the way i do, eats the way i do. i just need some extra words of encouragement. i want to be happy and healthy thats all

Replies

• PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do know that feeling...And I fight myself every single day. How hard can it be to eat healthy??? Ive lost 38 lbs...but its taken over a year...I should have been at my goal weight long before now but I still have 33 or so more lbs to go. I drive myself insane!

my ticker says 39 lbs to go, oops! lol
  • andiroot
    andiroot Posts: 43
    Options
    i try to avoid eating out because i feel like "theres no option but to eat my favorites" but my big trick is shame, i add what i want to eat to MFP and when i see what it adds up to, i adjust my choices. it helps, and take baby steps and celebrate everyday. its not a race and it takes 21 days to make a habit. just keep it up and be proud of every good choice.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Time for some tough love, it is ADULT DAY! I'm not trying to be mean, but you need to grow up. I had to grow up , too and I was 50 years old! Be and adult. Make the decision and follow through. Trust me. I've waited my entire life for someone to walk with me, teach me how, fix my food, motivate me, etc. IT isnt' going go happen. You have to do these things for yourself because no one else cares for you like you do. They love you and like you, but if you are 200 pounds or 125, they don't care. IT is your life and your health at stake. If you are too lazy to make your own life count for something, then that is your choice. I spent my entire life feeling too fat to participate in my own life. It is a shame that at 56 years old I am finally a size 4 and 137 pounds instead of 205 and a size 16. I spent my whole life feeling too fat to be attractive, put myself out there, and life the life I wanted to. That is probably why I didn't find a guy until it was too late to have kids. That is what I really regret. Now, I go everywhere, talk to everyone and have no fear because I don't have to worry that people are judging me because I am too fat, ugly, out of shape, or whatever I thought I was. It's your turn to choose how you want to live. Cut out sugar and white flour. Those two things CHANGED MY LIFE AND MY ABILITY TO EAT PROPERLY. Alcoholics cannot just drink beer on the weekends. They are either on the wagon or off of the wagon. OR you can choose to stay fat and be lazy. That is much easier but much less satisfying. I urge you to take control and to be in charge and present for your own life. Best of luck to you!
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had this problem too, I walk the dog 3 times a day, and that's it for my exercise, I walk him 15 min twice and 30 min once, most days. Sometimes only 15 min each time. I try not to let the exercise add to my diet calories tho. I try to keep myself under the 1670 calories I'm allowed without eating back the calories from walking. That way If I end up being a little off in my calculations I've got a cushion.

I think I'm successful this time because I have a goal not just to be healthy or skinny but to have a healthy baby, and that's in my mind 24/7. I know loosing weight is part of that goal, (some doctors won't treat for infertility unless you weigh less than I do right now so I'm preemptively loosing it).

I can't help you with the sour cream. But I am a candy addict. Probably how I got so heavy to begin with, I love my M@M's. To solve this, I didn't cut candy out of my diet completely. Would of been way too tempting to cheat and eat way too much of it. Instead, I bought individually wrapped mints, (Ande's mints) That only have 25 calories each! A number I can easily add into my diet. True I can't eat the whole package, but allowing myself some and reminding myself to only eat one or two at a time allows me to keep my treat while loosing weight.

I also allow myself a coke every morning. I've found that at the calories I'm allowed per day, that I should aim to average 400 calories a meal. If I keep it at that its 1200 calories, and then I have 400 calories for treats, or if I went out to eat that day a cushion, for over eating one meal.

A tip for Buffet's, fill your plate with 2-4 items, no more than a cup of each. Do NOT over fill your plate or pile things on top of one another. Also take the smallest plate available. Force yourself to decide then if you are really hungry enough to get back up and go get more food, after every plate. I've found out that by doing this, I eat 1-2 plates Don't over stuff myself and end up recording calories that aren't unreasonable for the diet! If your still having problems with that, sit at the furthest seat away from the buffet as possible, so it is even more of a deterrent to get up! (yes, lazy mental diet tricks FTW! lol)
  • philleah
    philleah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    No offense, but if you really can't control yourself, then don't eat out. Only buy healthy groceries, and make meals for yourself at home. I know where you're coming from but you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself.

To relate to you, I love potato chips...but I don't buy them, because I would eat the whole bag!!! Best of luck to you.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    No offense, but if you really can't control yourself, then don't eat out. Only buy healthy groceries, and make meals for yourself at home. I know where you're coming from but you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself.

To relate to you, I love potato chips...but I don't buy them, because I would eat the whole bag!!! Best of luck to you.

DITTO on ALL points (especially the chips!)

I cannot eat any kind of chip right now because it throws me into a crunchy salty shame spiral.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    im with ya girl..except we dont eat out that much..add me if you want..maybe we can motivate each other:flowerforyou:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Fighting the same battle the last 2 days! Damn Baked Lays :noway: :grumble:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

I cannot eat any kind of chip right now because it throws me into a crunchy salty shame spiral.

I'm going thru that right now!:sad: :ohwell:
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Make yourself exercise! Find something and just DO IT! Don't mak excuses, just DO IT! You have to or you'll never lose the weight. Same with eating. For me it's soda, if I have even a small soda I know that i'll go overboard and start drinking large amounts everday! I just don't buy it anymore and it isn't in the house. I've had to give it up for my own sake! You have to do that!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    i started this thing off strong. eating right and excersing. now im falling off track. only excersing i do is walking to and from the train for work which is 15 mins both ways. im not eating right at all. well some days i do but others i dont. i cant seem to stay away from my favorite places. chipotle for example. i go overboard with the cheese and sour cream. i took my daughter out to eat at golden coral. now who would go to an all you can eat buffet when trying to lose weight? had 3 plates smh. i want to lose weight so bad but it never lasts long. i always eat back what ive lost. i need someone who feels the way i do, eats the way i do. i just need some extra words of encouragement. i want to be happy and healthy thats all

If you want to be healthy, then it's your responsibility to make the decisions every day, every hour, every minute, of where you're going to eat and what you're going to eat. No one can do that for you. Chipotle, for example - stop going there. Golden Corral too. You can do this. I was just like you a year ago. I had to change my mind before my body would change. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. I won't eat at a buffet. I rarely eat fast food and if I do it's something that I know exactly what the calories are before I order it. If I choose to overeat, I work my tail off to burn the extra calories. At first it's one day at a time but soon it becomes habit to make the good choices.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options

[/quote

DITTO to all. This is a lifestyle change and you have to truly want it. I have only lost 10 lbs and should be farther down the road however, that doesnt mean I'm giving up. I travel quite a bit and dont have an option about eating out - but when I have the option and I know I am in a mindset - I dont go to restuarants where I'll be tempted to have those dishes that will completely derail what I'm doing. We all are going to have bad days and missteps but its about doing this for the long haul. I am having to look at some of the things I do and eat and be serious about changes - I LOVE chips and cheese/crackers - absolutely my weakness. No one said it was easy but it is worth it for you and who you want to be.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've been there. It's possible to eat out and make better choices from the ones that are available. It's possible to include more activities in your day. We all fall of track every so often, but it's how you move FORWARD that matters. If you continue to do so you may not be as dedicated as you thought you were. Sit down and make a plan of what you want your goals to be. Somehow once you see it on paper your mind makes sense of things a little better. Don't think of this fall back as a failure, think of it as a chance for improvement. Good Luck.
  • goodmans90
    goodmans90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about. At first it seemed easier! I had to have surgery in Aug, and then again in Jan, I couldn't do any exercising at all, well, I did and I paid dearly for it, set me back! Now, I am finally healing and I have started walking, I gained 26 pounds by not doing anything, even though it was through Dr.'s orders not to. I am ashamed of it, I worked darn hard to get all that off, and now I feel like I am starting all over. Add me if you would like, we could maybe help each other....:happy:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine, but you need to walk more. Chipotle is fine, but you need to make better decisions when you go there. Golden Corral ... I haven't been to one of those in forever, but as with any buffet, there are plenty of good choices to be made along with the bad ones. You just have to make them.

Your problem is mental, and I know you know that. And contrary to what many people might advise you to do, I'm not going to say stay away from Chipotle or Golden Corral. I might suggest that you eat at home more often (learn to cook if you haven't already), but life is going to involve meals on the go from time to time, and you need to learn how to make good choices when you are faced with temptation. The only way to do it is to make your mind up that you have no other choice. It gets easier to say no the more often you do it.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I met my mom and SIL for lunch at Golden Corral ... I'd just started here and I'm trying SO hard to log everything, because once you don't log, it's easy to get off track. I had my phone and input my meal as I ate ... I was pretty pleased to see that almost everything was there in the database. That helped me from over eating, I did limit myself to one plate. Maybe a waste of money, but it was more of a social thing.

I REALLY struggle with self-control too. I lost 50 pounds eight years ago and was at my ideal weight, but then about 5 pounds a year came back on until I'm almost where I was. I had been intermittently trying to track, but the website I was using was a little hard to work with. So I started here and I'm really working at it.

I DO exercise a lot, but I'm pretty much proof that you can't out cardio your calories (I do at least an hour a day, often times much more) ... and I was probably eating a lot more than I thought I was. It adds up so quickly.

I don't dare make my diary public yet ... I still eat too much junk food, I'd be embarrassed to have anyone see (I know, an argument for opening it up..) but baby steps. First I'm going to try and take responsibility and record everything, then keep calories in check (I think I've managed to stay under since I've joined) and then I'll see if I can't shake the sugar and eat healthier.

You are not alone in the struggle! I'm still on the "new" bandwagon, I'm really planning on keeping this up. I'm glad that MFP does make tracking food much easier than what I had been using ... no excuses!
  • Monica_SanDiego
    Monica_SanDiego Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hear ya. I eat well all week until Friday then I have my 'cheat meal' which turns into a 'cheat day' then a 'cheat weekend' .. it's no good.

So I started to follow IFBB Figure Olympia Nicole Wilkins on face book and youtube (not even sure how I stumbled across her) and in one of her videos she discusses cheat meals http://youtu.be/IhydLow78fQ

She said she simple eats more of the good stuff instead of the bad items where she probably won't stop.

This made me realize that I can't have chocolate in the house .. otherwise, I'm after it 24/7 until it's gone .. so maybe I should stock up on watermelon instead of chocolate :-)

Monica.
  • Tewsy87
    Tewsy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you really want to eat a cheat food, then look at how much you have to work to get those calories burned before you eat it. If you can't put in the time, then don't do the cheat crime! Lol. You have to stay dedicated to your goal, if you really want to change then you will!