How do you get motivated to work out when you're REALLY tired?

Options

Replies

• ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Working out = more energy & getting it done and over with are my motivation.

I wake up at 0400 and workout before my 4 1/2 month old son needs to be up. With B-Feeding a little one and a full workday working out gives me that extra boost I need to make it through to 21-2200hrs. What I tell myself when my alarm goes off and it's still dark out...is that I'll regret going back to sleep all day b/c I'll be groggy...which I will be :(

Once I'm done I feel great physically and mentally the rest of the day.

Just get it done and over with...

If you need some help friend somebody here!
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ewhsweets wrote: »
    Working out = more energy & getting it done and over with are my motivation.

I wake up at 0400 and workout before my 4 1/2 month old son needs to be up. With B-Feeding a little one and a full workday working out gives me that extra boost I need to make it through to 21-2200hrs. What I tell myself when my alarm goes off and it's still dark out...is that I'll regret going back to sleep all day b/c I'll be groggy...which I will be :(

Once I'm done I feel great physically and mentally the rest of the day.

Just get it done and over with...

If you need some help friend somebody here!

I get up at 4:00AM as well. I have a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old who need my undivided attention, so this is the only time I have to myself. I don't regret it. As tired as I always am when that alarm sounds, I'm always glad I did it. Every time. And when my kids wake up, I'm ready to give them whatever attention they need. :smiley:
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You're seldom going to feel like working out BEFORE exercise, if you work long hours and have other pressing responsibilities. The motivation comes with the sense of accomplishment and well being AFTER your workout. Just push through and do it and the determination for the next time will follow. Trying to get a little more sleep would be beneficial, as well as eating to fuel your workouts - low sugar and carbs and enough protein. Just my two cents' worth. Good luck with your journey! You can do this!!
  • brandi78754
    brandi78754 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These are all really great suggestions. I may have to steal a few of them for myself. I find it difficult to get in a really great workout in the evenings because of my kids and how late it is when we all finally get home from school, daycare and work.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I strengthen my character and prove im worth it by getting up and doing what i promised I would do. If i break the promises I make to myself, what's to keep me from doing that everywhere?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    marlown wrote: »
    You're seldom going to feel like working out BEFORE exercise, if you work long hours and have other pressing responsibilities. The motivation comes with the sense of accomplishment and well being AFTER your workout. Just push through and do it and the determination for the next time will follow. Trying to get a little more sleep would be beneficial, as well as eating to fuel your workouts - low sugar and carbs and enough protein. Just my two cents' worth. Good luck with your journey! You can do this!!

Very smart! I agree.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Exercise should be part of your routine, not something you have to decide to do at some given moment. Plan time in your schedule for it, and know that you're going to do it regardless. Don't ask yourself if you want to do it right before hand.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    Caffeine.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Exercise should be part of your routine, not something you have to decide to do at some given moment. Plan time in your schedule for it, and know that you're going to do it regardless. Don't ask yourself if you want to do it right before hand.

like brushing your teeth.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    megbee617 wrote: »
    Hi everyone -

I'm sure we've all been there: you slept 3 hours the night prior, worked a 10 hour day, you're STARVING because you're trying to stay under your calorie goal, but... you have to drag your butt to the gym.

What do you do to stay motivated and work out when all you want to do is go to bed??
    Eat a little something. It might give you just enough energy to get started.

I feel overall like this post is looking for permission not to workout and if that's what you need, you got it. Get some sleep push your workout to tommorrow, eat a little.

Otherwise if your schedule just does not allow you to reschedule, here's how I do it when I really don't "feel like it".

I tell myself I"m just only gonna get dressed and then see how I feel.
    Then I tell myself I'm just only going to go to where the workout is meant to happen, then see how i feel.
    Then I tell myself I'm just only going to stretch/drink/water/prep and then see how I feel.
    Then I tell myself I'm just only going to do the warm up, and then see how I feel.
    Then I tell myself I'm just only going to do the first 5 minutes, and then see how I feel.
    Then the next 2 minutes, 3 minutes, one minute, 5 minutes again...and so on, until at some point I realize. Well I just did my whole workout, which is a good thing, because I TOTALLY DON'T FEEL LIKE WORKING OUT RIGHT NOW! LOL.

Seriously it's like tricking a kid into eating something/going to school/getting a shot/going to the dr's or whatever. Except you are the kid and you are tricking yourself.

:flowerforyou:

But don't leave this app today without reading yoovie's motivation blog that was linked above by JoRocka. It's just for this topic you posted.

• lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Start slowly then warm up gradually into doing things. Or even psyche yourself out about how good you feel (THOSE ENDORPHINS) afterwards and how you'll look weeks from now.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    j39832qg0i2i.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    megbee617 wrote: »
    Hi everyone -

I'm sure we've all been there: you slept 3 hours the night prior, worked a 10 hour day, you're STARVING because you're trying to stay under your calorie goal, but... you have to drag your butt to the gym.

What do you do to stay motivated and work out when all you want to do is go to bed??

Well, I wouldn't waste time going to a gym and back if I was that sleep deprived. I would just walk or dance for 30 minutes, pop in an exercise dvd, or find a workout video on You Tube to do. Then I would go to bed.
    I honestly would never workout if I relied on a gym as the only place I could do it. Maybe you should invest in some dvd's or some home exercise equipment if you have these days a lot.
    Also, when I was constantly sleep deprived I always ate a lot more. So try to get more sleep and you might find it easier to stay with your calorie goal.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I delay having something I want, like a hot bath, or going to the mailbox or calling a friend until I have exercised. THen I exercise with less enthusiasm, but for the required 25 minutes I have set for myself.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't quit when you're tired, quit when you're done. That mantra helps me.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Firstly look at how much you're eating - if you're tired and starving then may be you're not eating enough. I'm eating 2000 cals a day and still losing on average 1lb a week (and am 25lbs from target) and despite running 30-35miles a week plus a couple of cross training sessions I've very rarely been starving in the 20months i've been losing weight. As for the training itself - I love the way it makes me feel so its easy to motivate myself 90% of the time and the other 10% I remind myself of the 90%!
  • rachiefofo
    rachiefofo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pack your gym bag the night before, put it in your front seat as motivation to drive to the gym straight from work - - -Works for me! But make sure you get enough sleep! Working out with no energy leaves you at risk for a poor performance and possibly injuring yourself! Best of luck
  • librarial
    librarial Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I take a different approach. If I'm exhausted, I don't work out. But I do hold myself VERY accountable for making sure I'm not too tired the next day, and the next, and the next.

If you're tired, look at what you're eating, and see if you could be doing a better job of eating for energy, or eating at the right times. Drink a bunch of water. Do EVERYTHING YOU CAN to get better sleep. And then kick *kitten* the next day.

Might not work for everybody... but I know that my tired workouts are usually terrible anyway. I take it as a lesson learned on days I'm too tired, and set myself up for better success the next day.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    just get out and start walking. once I start it will usually turn into a jog and I will get in atleast 2 miles. I have never regretted working out. I have regretted watching tv and snacking.

29509743.png
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to get a nap in if I have time, if not, I don't work out. Simple as that.

Falling asleep on my feet won't do any good.