BMI, Tdee or Mfp??

Can someone look at my stats and tell me how many calories I should be eating. I've tried to look online but I get a different number with every website.

5'3"
184lbs
39 years old

I have a desk job but workout 5 times a week doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I walk 3-4 miles on the off days.

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2014
    What does MFP tell you when you enter your stats, choose "lightly active" and "lose 1 pound per week"? That's what I would go with.

You can then eat back some of your exercise calories. If you choose sedentary, your daily calories will be lower by maybe 200-300. Try lightly active first, IMO.

55835802.png
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Are the numbers dramatically different? Pick one, go with it, then assess your results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    Are the numbers dramatically different? Pick one, go with it, then assess your results.

They will be different at IIFYM takes into account exercise whereas MFP does not, that said for the week if you eat the exercise cals back the total cas should be very close, assuming you also chose an appropriate weight loss goal on MFP (i.e. 1 lb/week not 2.)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    You expect someone here to be able to give you a better answer? Just pick one. If you're meeting your weight goals, stick with it. If you aren't, adjust it up or down by a couple hundred calories as needed.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    The calorie goal MFP gives you will be what you should eat to lose the amount of weight you specified, plus you should eat back any calories you burn through any exercise outside of your normal daily activity.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is your approximate maintenance calories, so to lose weight, you should eat around 80% of that number.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    They are all a tad different, but in general, pretty close. The calculator I've always used, and had success with:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Get your BMR (basel metabolic rate - what your body burns if you sat and did not move all day). I calculated your BMR to be 1568 calories.

Add in the calories from movement all day.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

I used the sedentary formula for you, and came up with 1881 calories. These are maintenance calories. Other websites that calculate this, will all be similar but probably not the exact same. There is a window here...and I would start with using 1881 as maintenance calories, and go from there.