!5 calories for every pound???

Options
I just bought the new Shape Up shoes, and there is a fitness guide that comes with them. In the article it said that your body burns 15 calories per pound of body fat just to keep your heart beating??? Does anyone know if this correct or even half correct. I am new to the whole counting calories thing. If this is true I am totally under eating calories per day!!! I don't want to go into starvation mode!

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just pulled up my BMR (1291 on the tools page) and divided it by my body weight (152).
    Results: 8.5 calories per pound (repeat: 8.5 calories per pound) are required for me to lay totally still and have my body perform basic functions--heart rate, breathing, digestion,...

I do not understand the process, but the average seems to be: if we eat 1200 calories a day and exercise, we will lose weight. If we eat less, the body starts burning muscle tissue and holds on to the fat.

I hope that helps.
  • jasonbo
    jasonbo Posts: 1
    Options
    There are 3500 calories in 1lb of fat
  • manry74
    manry74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You burn a certain amount of calories every day just living. Do not worry about all that. Just watch the calories you consume and the exercises you do. Do not eat less than 1200 calories a day that is when your body goes into starvation mode.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat burn calories at different rates. From what I've read 1lb of muscle will burn 6 calories/day and 1lb of fat will burn 2 calories/day.

Of course these numbers are all approximations. The American Council of Exercise estimates 7-10 cals burned per day per lb of muscle and 2-5 cals burned per day for llb of fat.