Fast food....need I say more...

Options
13»

Replies

• lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I would hit up the vending machine for breakfast and fast food for lunch (sometimes for dinner too). I have been shopping at Trader Joes and get the pre-made salads with chicken for lunch. The dates are usually good so I'll get one for everyday. For breakfast I throw 2 packets of oatmeal in my bag and cook it in the microwave when I get to work. I also stocked up on TJ's frozen food. This helps with dinner for when I work or have a late workout. Last night all I wanted was tacos from Filibertos, but I knew I could make a quick frozen meal at home. And I've noticed extra $ in my bank account too.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too to be honest and it took a few months to break myself from that habit. Now if I do go through a fast food place, I order a salad and baked potato or a couple of grilled chicken wraps. Try going for the healthy selections instead of the unhealthy selections if you feel the need too go.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that a lot of people picked up on the fact that you're a new mom. If you're back at work, and you have a baby, you must be exhausted! Don't beat yourself up too much for not being perfect.

I think the single most useful thing you could do is to focus on dinner. When you make it (or your partner makes it), make 3 times as much as you need for you and your partner. Eat 1/3 that night, freeze 1/3 for dinner some time in the future when you just can't cook, and portion out the remaining 1/3 into lunch containers. Now you don't have to plan ahead, you just need to grab the leftovers as you leave. And cooking 6 servings doesn't take a lot more work than cooking 2 servings. Use pre-cut ingredients if you don't have a lot of time and your supermarket carries them; they're more expensive than unprepared ingredients, but cheaper than fast food. Frozen chopped veggies are another option, and they're often a lot cheaper than fresh as well as more convenient, and nearly as nutritious.

Another fast idea: an 8-oz. container of hummus is about 200-250 calories depending on the brand and kind. Scoop half of it into a small plastic container, grab one pita bread, and take some pre-cut veggies. That's about a 400-calorie meal that takes almost no time. I probably have hummus, pita, and veggies twice a week. Plus, even if you don't have a fridge, hummus is OK to store at room temperature for a few hours.

Good luck, and congratulations on your recent addition to the family!