Downward spiral

I feel like I'm on a downward spiral at the moment. I seem to be losing and gaining the same few pounds for the past year!
Over the year I've been your typical yo yo dieter, and have tried everything but I can't seem to stick to anything for longer than around 3 months.
I feel disgusting from pigging out today, and I feel I'm losing the passion for health eating and exercising that I once had. Im pissing myself off on a daily basis!
Im thinking of going to see my dr but feel like its a silly reason to take up their time. I don't know what to do anymore as I keep trying and failing :/

Replies

• oh yesss, the self-loathing monster rearing its ugly head... hey, the mere fact that you are here menas you are waay ahead of most people, who couldn't give a flip. We all go through this. I lost >60 pounds a few years back and gained it all back and then some... do I hate myself for being so stupid? yes! Hang in there!!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    You don't need to have a "passion" for healthy eating and exercising to be successful again. You HAVE lost weight before, so you know what to do. Just DO IT. Don't think about it. Eat what you know you'll feel best eating and move your body as much as you can.

If you're eating something and feel like you're going to over do it and binge, set the food down. Put it back in the fridge or wherever and walk away. Go do something else. Think about how you'll feel AFTER you eat something before you even take a bite. Stick with it! It's tough, yes, but definitely worth it.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    xrachypx wrote: »
    I don't know what to do anymore as I keep trying and failing :/

Then stop trying and just do it. Make yourself your priority. Make your life a habit and you won't ever have to "Try" again.

You can't change what you did 5 months/days/minutes ago, but you can change what you do for the rest of the day, so make the rest of the day a success, then do it again tomorrow.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I feel like I'm on a downward spiral at the moment. I seem to be losing and gaining the same few pounds for the past year!
    Over the year I've been your typical yo yo dieter, and have tried everything but I can't seem to stick to anything for longer than around 3 months.
    I feel disgusting from pigging out today, and I feel I'm losing the passion for health eating and exercising that I once had. Im pissing myself off on a daily basis!
    Im thinking of going to see my dr but feel like its a silly reason to take up their time. I don't know what to do anymore as I keep trying and failing :/

Why is this post flagged?
  • Angelwriter214
    Angelwriter214 Posts: 7 Member
    I can relate on the losing and gaining the same few pounds. I feel the same way you do. A couple years ago, I had lost almost 60 pounds and now 3 years later, I've gained half of it back. Sometimes it's hard for me to exercise cause I have two bad lungs but I'm trying to get back into it. Don't lose hope. If you need some friends, you can always add me cause I really don't have any friends on here yet. I reopened MFP under a new ID.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member

TWICE??? I don't get it...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »

TWICE??? I don't get it...

The "No Such Thing As Motivation" crowd, maybe? Makes no sense...

• xrachypx wrote: »

• Why are you overeating ? It may be nutritional needs your not getting from a diet that is full of processed food loaded with suger. More often times we eat to NUMB our emotions. Dealing with depression, stress or boredom with food never works. It's ok once in a while but it adds up quickly.
  • A couple of people said I was too harsh on you but I just can't apologize for it. It's the truth. I gained weight because of red wine and everyday I have to be mindful of not dealing with stress with a bottle. Lol.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    I feel your pain. I had a bad length of depression for about 6 months due to the supplemental hormones I am on. I stopped doing anything. I gained back 20 of the 42 pounds I had lost and I became very very weak. I am sickly this week but I have recommitted myself to doing the right thing again a few days ago. I splurged and went over calories by 200 yesterday but I am doing good for being sick and still dieting. One of the big things I have to do is fill up on healthy stuff and then I allow myself a little of the indulgent stuff. It helps to keep me from overeating crap like I have been. Who cares if I get ridiculously stuffed eating broccoli?! That's like 90 calories for three cups lol. So I will eat a massive portion of veggies or a salad and then have a tiny bit of whatever is the least healthy thing in my meal. Last night we had steamed broccoli, corn, rice and some polish sausage so since my protein was good for the day I only ate a little of the sausage at the end of my meal after I had eaten my fill of the veggies. Another thing that helps me get my butt back into gear is the idea that every day I put it off is another day of being miserable and weak and sick and depressed and obese. Every day I put it off is another day I can never get back, another day I can never redeem, another day I cannot easily play with my children because I am too fat and weak, another day closer I am to giving myself diabetes or another disease. I cannot allow myself to do that with my two beautiful children depending on me.

All that being said, if you feel like there is a reason you need to see your doctor, don't worry about it being a waste of their time. You are paying them. Who knows. I had a friend who found out she had thyroid cancer after she brought to attention her fatigue and other symptoms. Hoping you don't have any problems like that but better safe than sorry. And in the mean time, feel free to add me. I need to surround myself with people who are struggling because it motivates me to motivate others... weird I know but it works when I am cheering someone else on, I feel like I can do more myself.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    And just don't buy the unhealthy, over processed foods at all. Don't keep them in the house. If I buy treats or snacks for my kids, even though they might be healthy, I buy stuff they will like but I don't. Or I buy fruit as our snacks (apple slices, bananas and fruit cups are big with my 3 year old) Because I am a snacker, I keep quick foods out of the house or else I will eat everything (like an entire bag of potato chips by myself in one setting). And if I have to have a dessert for any reason, I will freeze individual portions so that I take out one at a time to thaw. If I take out several thinking I will have a big helping then it gives me a few hours to think about my decision, regret it and put the extras back.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    i hate to be cliche, but if you want results you've never gotten before, you're going to have to go about it all a way you've never tried.

ask yourself what made you lose traction all the other times and what you are going to do to stop yourself from giving up this time.

what makes it actually worth it to you?

Im not talking about motivation - im talking about what is your REASON to make this happen and is it a good enough one for you? good enough to make you still get up and do what you have to do even when you aren't motivated at all and don't wanna.

what would keep you from giving up this time?
This discussion has been closed.