New, running not an option

Options
2»

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I sorta feel your pain. I shattered my left femur in a car accident many moons ago, and I haven't been able to run/jog since. That story is nowhere as cool as your being injured while serving your country, but it's all I've got.

I had to have a titanium rod inserted in my femur, and now I can't do ANYTHING that requires any sort of range of motion for that knee. So, I walk. I can walk rather quickly when I want to (up to 5 mph), but no running, no biking, no elliptical. It also prevents me from doing a lot of lifting (I injure my knee every time I squat). I'd swim, but I hate swimming. I CAN use the stair climber, which I love. That is the only thing I regret about quitting the gym.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Rowing/elliptical/swimming/water jogging/hiking, weight training all good. The stairclimber and arc trainer might be good to you, if you can use a versa climber or a Jacob's Ladder that's really good cardio right there , it's like rock climbing. Race walking is good too, hula hooping, water aerobics,etc
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the replies, so maybe someone already recommended this...the elliptical. I do run, but when I had leg and foot issues, I used the elliptical ... you really get a good burn on it. Also a stationary bike (I hear the recumbent bike is good) or a real bike if you like that.
    BTW - thank you for your service to our country!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Y U NO DDP YOGA BRO?
  • mugfilms
    mugfilms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pokeybug: Trust me, my story is not very cool. I'm good at twisting my ankle in mundane situations.

AgentOrangeJuice: Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I had seen the "inspirational" video for it once and couldn't remember what the program was. I'll check it out.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    I've lost 75 lbs on DDP Yoga and have kept it off.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    Also, I twisted my ankle 2 years ago, sprained my ankle, broke several bones in my foot, pulled some ligaments. Not a fun time in my life. Yoga will help you improve your balance and strengthen your core.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    mugfilms wrote: »
    Pokeybug: Trust me, my story is not very cool. I'm good at twisting my ankle in mundane situations.

It's cooler than putting yourself in the hospital for 3 months, because you didn't look both ways for oncoming traffic before you turned, lol.

• kareneastwood865
    kareneastwood865 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just do not enjoy running. On the first night I joined my boot camp class, the trainer asked if I had any particular areas of concern. I blurted out "I don't run and I can't jump". He laughed when I said I was dead serious. He has found other things for me to concentrate on. We started with TRX workouts. I am now doing everything in the circuit and have worked up to a light (no, very light) jog. Baby steps. Good luck to you. Feel free to add me!
  • ndolezalik
    ndolezalik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mugfilms, you and I are in the same boat. I'm 29, started at 239lbs with a goal of 180lbs. Three months later I'm down 28 pounds with extremely limited cardio. I've learned that you can cut it out completely from your routine.
    Skip breakfast. Shoot for 1600 calories per day. Eat chicken and turkey all day. You can gorge yourself on it and it's very minimal calories. Plus, it gives you needed protein. Now, go to the gym for an hour four nights per week and lift hard. DOMS is real so don't give up after the first two weeks. The pain goes away.
    Don't drink your calories.
    There. Best alternative to cardio, no cardio.