What part of the US would you move to?

Options
Wookinpanub
Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
Have you or at least considered temporarily moving to a different part of the US for a few years just for the experience? I have considered Chicago, Atlanta, Denver. Lately I think it would be cool to live in the southwest - west texas, Santa Fe/Alberq NM, Phoenix.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've lived quite a few places. Overall I'd say the San Diego area is my favorite and would love to live there if I could afford it at my same level of lifestyle. I was stationed in that area in the military when I was younger and loved it...I would have stayed except all of my buddies who were staying were piling five people into two bedroom apartments and waiting tables and bar tending and that didn't sound all that great to me...awesome place...hell of expensive.
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    Somewhere HOT, please!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I moved to Phoenix from the frozen north and enjoy the weather. I miss the struggles, however, of being up north. Sunshine and palm trees have me feeling a little too lazy.
  • Wookinpanub
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've lived quite a few places. Overall I'd say the San Diego area is my favorite and would love to live there if I could afford it at my same level of lifestyle. I was stationed in that area in the military when I was younger and loved it...I would have stayed except all of my buddies who were staying were piling five people into two bedroom apartments and waiting tables and bar tending and that didn't sound all that great to me...awesome place...hell of expensive.

I have never been but everyone I know that's been there says how beautiful it is (but expensive).

• Wookinpanub
    Options
    N2Couture wrote: »
    Somewhere HOT, please!

I think the southwest would be good. It sure is hot but not the humid hot like the southeast - yuk. I am also a Midwest guy and I do love my seasons so not sure how many years I could take living in the desert.
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am also a Midwest guy and I do love my seasons
    Especially when we get two or three of them in one week. :smile:
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Being in the AF I've been to three of the four corners of the US (and several countries outside the US) but I want to see the Northeast. Anyone have a spare bedroom for a visit? lol
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I'm quite happy living in the UK and wouldn't want to leave :-)
  • johnmurphymfp
    Options
    ^^^^^ I loved the UK was there for two years with the Air Force.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the Houston, TX area, but I've lived in Sacramento, CA New York, NY, Lansing, MI, Detroit, MI, Grand Rapids, MI and Chico, CA. Eventually I want to make my way to San Francisco, CA but I've also considered Medford, OR and Canada!
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    East Tennessee. Never lived there, but we singled it out as a place to live and take vacations there every year to narrow down the plan.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and I'll take somewhere in Nevada or California please. It's not the cold, it's the rain. I also like warm. My cat and I could just lie in the sun all day.
  • johnmurphymfp
    Options
    Maine
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    N2Couture wrote: »
    Somewhere HOT, please!

I think the southwest would be good. It sure is hot but not the humid hot like the southeast - yuk. I am also a Midwest guy and I do love my seasons so not sure how many years I could take living in the desert.

Keep in mind, different areas of the SW are...well, very different from each other. I live in Albuquerque and Phoenix is nothing like ABQ. First of all, it's way bigger...secondly, temperatures are well over 100* most of the summer...my in-laws live in Tucson and they start hitting the 100* mark in late April/early May. Hell, we go out there for Thanksgiving and it'll be mid 80s.

Conversely, Albuquerque is in the high desert...yes, it's dry...but we are also over a mile high (we are higher than Denver...and Santa Fe is even higher)...we might break 100* a few days per year in late June and early July and it is exceedingly rare for it to get that hot in Santa Fe. For the most part, summers are hot but not exceedingly so...fall is beautiful and my favorite time of year. The only time I hate being here is in the spring when the winds kick up and dust storms abound...like you can't see *kitten* dust storms.

Winters are generally comfortable here, but nothing like Phoenix or Tuscon...we do get snow, particularly in the mountains and higher elevations. Right now it's pretty pleasant here...highs in the upper 50s with lows around freezing...definitely cooler up north in Santa Fe. By December, highs will be in the 30s and 40s on average and we're likely to have some days in the upper teens and in the 20s...you would never see that in Phoenix or Tuscon. We're supposed to have a pretty snowy winter this year as well...fingers crossed because last year was less than stellar on the slopes...but not horrible.

In New Mexico, we most definitely have all the seasons.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Lived a lot of places across the U.S. and outside but if I had to choose I'd live in Melbourne, Australia or somewhere along the coast, like Perth. However, I know I'd get homesick for the states eventually, so many great things to see and do across the country.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oregon to California to Texas. I'd like to try the East coast or far North one of these days.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anywhere better than the northern California gold country. Maybe Oregon or Washington for a few, or Colorado or Montana...or Minnesota to experience the extreme cold and ice fishing, but I'd always return home to here. California just has such a variety - you could literally snow, forest, desert, and ocean all in one day
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I would move out of the country. Unfortunately all the really progressive places are cold.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anywhere better than the northern California gold country.

It appears we live in the same neighborhood.