Really upset

Options
I've been doing good on my 1200 cal diet for the past week and exercising everyday but today I went over my limit by 617 calories and I'm way too tired to exercise

Replies

• mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    what are you doing differently then you did last week? it's all about personal choices, you have to want this bad enough to lose the weight. Trust me, i'm doing the 1200 calorie diet and it's hard and there are days where I go over but I always try to work out even harder those days then I do the other days at the gym.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Don't be upset, just STOP RIGHT THERE.

It's unlikely you even gained one full pound, just doing the math.

You may show heavier on the scale tomorrow if what you ate causes water retention, but that should go away soon.

Just put the fork down NOW, DO NOT be upset about it - people mess up and then we go on - and eat NORMALLY tomorrow, don't try to restrict if you're hungry in order to "make up for it."

This is just my advice and what I'd personally do.
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks I do want it bad like last week I had a cheeseburger and worked out for 45 minutes straight just to burn it offend today I'm like blahh I think I need to take a break for a day it was Thai food today with an egg roll and rice at a restaurant and I'm assuming it was hgh in calories but I haven't taken a break yet for a week so I think it's ok
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back those exercise calories? Trust me I know many of us want to lose as quickly as possible, but if you're under-nourishing yourself it's (practically) inevitable that you'll wind up exhausted and super hungry. Don't start that cycle - maybe you need to re-evaluate your goals so you can have more to eat on a daily basis, even if it means losing more slowly.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why are you fretting a single day? That's around 89 calories each of the last 7 days. Surely, you haven't hit EXACTLY 1,200 calories each day. I try to hit 1,200 calories a day, too, but most days I fall a little short. Today, I fell WAY short of that (1,006 calories). I figure that days like today make up for days when I go a little over. No big deal.

In the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "After all, tomorrow is another day."
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yea I make sure to eat back all my calories
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing on Sunday - with an entire can of Pringles. Ugh! I was really upset with myself too, but I told myself I would make up for it in the coming days. And I have! Just a little more exercise, and one day of nutritional punishment. Not saying you should skip a meal, but there are plenty of ways to catch back up in no time. It's only one day :)
  • TommyBoy_
    Options
    The journey to being healthy shouldn't ever have an end date. Of course some days you will slip or have the extra treat. What separates the winners from the losers is those that can brush it off and keep going after those bad days/weekends/weeks :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Being too tired to exercise and excessive hunger can be signs of overtraining/undereating. Might be a good idea to increase your calories a bit and keep on eye on how the scale moves to find the best calorie goal where you are fueling your body and still losing.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Honey it's one day. Shake it off. Do better tomorrow.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    600 calories is 1/6 of a lb, you'll be ok :):)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    kelly39014 wrote: »
    Thanks I do want it bad like last week I had a cheeseburger and worked out for 45 minutes straight just to burn it offend today I'm like blahh I think I need to take a break for a day it was Thai food today with an egg roll and rice at a restaurant and I'm assuming it was hgh in calories but I haven't taken a break yet for a week so I think it's ok
    Well at least you are not depriving yourself. Take it one day at a time. This one day will not hurt you. Maybe make it up the rest of the week. You can eat a little less of your workout calories back instead of eating all of them. You will still be under for the week either way.

We all have our days. Your body is probably trying to tell you something. Get the rest, but also like someone else mentioned maybe increase your calories a bit. Don't let this one day get to you. Just pick back up tomorrow.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eating only 1200 calories I would over eat also!!! :#
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Shoot. I went over by about 1,200 calories yesterday. I had Chinese food, then a hot fudge sundae, then cookies, etc.

But I didn't gain weight by eating one hot fudge sundae on one day. And today is back to normal. Just don't do it every day and you'll be fine.

Additionally, it's very likely you should be eating more than 1,200 calories a day anyway. That's awfully low. A normal day for me is just over 1,500 calories and I'm losing weight steadily.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    So your calorie goal is 1200 (is 120 lb really a healthy goal weight given your height? check a BMI chart, link below),
    and you're eating more than that because you say you're eating exercise calories,
    but you're concerned that you ate even more on _one_ day??

I wouldn't worry about it.
    Re-evaluate your goals, how fast you're thinking of losing weight, how much you're thinking of losing (almost 60 lb? your picture doesn't look like you need to lose that much), how much you're exercising, etc.
    Maybe being hungry & tired is your body telling you to change what you're doing.
    Maybe you need to up your calorie goal, set a realistic weight-loss goal (for now, 1.5 lb per week or less), and ignore the exercise calories.

http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

51637601.png
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1,200 calories a day 5 days out of the week and have two cheat meals a week which brings up my total for those two days. And I have lost 19kg so far!
    Don't sweat it, sometimes your body can do with a calorie "boost" to trigger your metabolism (because it can get sluggish on a low calorie diet)... you might find that you'll be hungrier the next day too but it can also boost your weight loss :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    You should still be under maintenance for the week. Don't sweat it. It happens.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on, its just a day.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    One rest day a week is a really good idea, IMHO.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    1 pound of fat is 3500 calories. So if you ate 617 over your tdee then you still didn't gain a pound.

Going over won't ruin you. Shrug it off! It's ok! I've gone over several times and I'm down 30.