Options
2»

Replies

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I barely burn any calories because I only do cardio a few times a week. Mostly lift. It's kind of why TDEE method makes me nervous because I wonder if I'm not working enough to calculate my "exercise" as 5 days a week.
    Just be super cautious with the calorie burn from lifting. I add it to my garmin connect,but I make SURE I underestimate the calorie burn

I actually don't log it or eat back any lifting calories.
    Good--That works
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I barely burn any calories because I only do cardio a few times a week. Mostly lift. It's kind of why TDEE method makes me nervous because I wonder if I'm not working enough to calculate my "exercise" as 5 days a week.

It's not the method that should make you nervous...it's the tendency for people to over-estimate their activity level. You may be doing 5 days per week but are you doing 5 days strenuous as most TDEE calculators state. You have to account for all of the variables. If all you are doing is lifting 5 days per week I would do moderate at most....and make adjustments as per your real world results.

Real world results trump everything...these calculators are great starting points...but they aren't gospel. It seem like people forget that actual experience trumps everything.

Yeah...the calculator on IIFYM only lets you put in how many DAYS you work out. And yeah, I work out 5 days a week at least, but I only do probably about 2 hours of cardio in that time. So I feel I shouldn't really say I work out 5 days a week because I assume most people are burning more than I am?
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's not the method that should make you nervous...it's the tendency for people to over-estimate their activity level. You may be doing 5 days per week but are you doing 5 days strenuous as most TDEE calculators state. You have to account for all of the variables. If all you are doing is lifting 5 days per week I would do moderate at most....and make adjustments as per your real world results.

Real world results trump everything...these calculators are great starting points...but they aren't gospel. It seem like people forget that actual experience trumps everything.

very true-but if you use an activity tracker and a HRM for your cardio the accuracy can improve. For lifting,I think all the apps over-estimate the caloric burn