Pregnancy question

Options

Replies

• wife29
    wife29 Posts: 13
    Options
    I haven't had children yet, so I don't have much advice for you, but congratulations! :bigsmile:

Thank you, we were shocked but over the moon :-)
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Walking is super important (I think, I do have 4 kids). The better your fitness level, the easier labor, in my experience.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and walking as much as possible. I have 4 kids and I walked a few miles a day through the whole 9 months of each pregnancy. I dropped the weight very fast with the first one. It was harder to loose weight with #2,3 and 4. My youngest is 2 and Im still working on it. Good luck and God bless. You will get tons and tons and tons of advice from other moms. listen, smile, say thanks and then follow your doctors orders!!!!!
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is definitely something your doctor should give you guidance on. I was an avid runner and went to the gym about 3 times/week for weights and spinning classes before I became pregnant nearly 3 years ago. My doctor said it was fine to continue to do what I did before I got pregnant, but to be sure to listen to my body and modify exercise as needed. She also stressed that it was important not to let this be an excuse to eat everything and anything. I was considered normal weight at the beginning of my preganancy - I am 5' 6" and usually weigh between 135-140. My doctor advised that, at most, I only needed 300 more calories/day while pregnant and that I should gain 25-35 lbs. She strongly recommended trying not to exceed 35 lbs. I gained 37 lbs.

I continued to run (although at a much slower pace and shorter distances) until about 20 weeks, when my knees started to hurt. I continued to go to the gym to lift weights (within reason), use the elliptical and do some spin classes. In the end when I was enormous and uncomfortable, at the advice of a friend, I did a few water aerobics classes (with the 60-80 year old ladies). It felt so good to get in the water and move without lugging all that weight around! There will be lots of people telling you that exercising while pregnant is bad - I had numerous people scold me at the gym. But most doctors now encourage it as long as you're having a normal pregnancy.

Eat healthy, exercise moderately, get rest and listen to your body. Enjoy the ride!!!
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is definitely something your doctor should give you guidance on. I was an avid runner and went to the gym about 3 times/week for weights and spinning classes before I became pregnant nearly 3 years ago. My doctor said it was fine to continue to do what I did before I got pregnant, but to be sure to listen to my body and modify exercise as needed. She also stressed that it was important not to let this be an excuse to eat everything and anything. I was considered normal weight at the beginning of my preganancy - I am 5' 6" and usually weigh between 135-140. My doctor advised that, at most, I only needed 300 more calories/day while pregnant and that I should gain 25-35 lbs. She strongly recommended trying not to exceed 35 lbs. I gained 37 lbs.

I continued to run (although at a much slower pace and shorter distances) until about 20 weeks, when my knees started to hurt. I continued to go to the gym to lift weights (within reason), use the elliptical and do some spin classes. In the end when I was enormous and uncomfortable, at the advice of a friend, I did a few water aerobics classes (with the 60-80 year old ladies). It felt so good to get in the water and move without lugging all that weight around! There will be lots of people telling you that exercising while pregnant is bad - I had numerous people scold me at the gym. But most doctors now encourage it as long as you're having a normal pregnancy.

Eat healthy, exercise moderately, get rest and listen to your body. Enjoy the ride!!!

Bump to this!

I believe it's something like an additional 300 cals a day that your bod needs to feed the baby, but definitely talk with the doc for specific recommendations, etc. Congrats!
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats hon. I agree speak with your doctor. But your body knows what to do. I was at least 150lbs overweight when I had got pregnant and I lost 30lbs the first 2 months without even changing what I ate. Throughout the course of my pregnancy (while eating healthy) however I only gained about 13lbs of it back by the time he was born and 6 1/2lbs of it was him.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Don't worry too much about eating too little or too much your little one will tell you just how much it wants and doesn't want all you have to do is make sure when you are not having cravings to eat the good stuff and when you are having cravings give in to them just enough!!! The rest will work itself out!! I also recommend easy strolls three times a week. That will help with your muscle mass and getting your body ready to give birth! AGAIN CONGRATS TO YOU LITTLE BLESSING!!

Thank you :-) This is the kind of advice I was looking for :-) I already walk a lot so will stick to that (right now I'm suffering from nausea so don't feel like exercising). Thanks again :-)

Everyone is different, but I had a nausea just for a few weeks. My favorite thing was lemonade and seltzer water (50/50). For some reason it really helped settle my stomach.
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    Congratulations!

I used to be a Midwifery Sister so do know something about this. Eat very healthily but eat for one. This is not the time to put your body under more stress and you need the nourishment for healthy foetal and maternal health.

I would suggest low impact exercise. Walking , swimming are really good exercises and join an ante-natal exercise class (usually 28 wks) to prepare your pelvic floor for the big day and to practice breathing techniques to help you in labour.

You may feel too nauseous during the first trimester so may eat what you can manage to stave off the nausea. Try to eat your meals on time to prevent nausea and ginger is great and safe to provide relief from nausea. You could have it as ginger beer, ginger biscuits (watch the cals) but it should ease off after 12 weeks.

Hope your pregnancy goes well.
  • foxylady522
    foxylady522 Posts: 80
    Options

Exactly this! Continue exercising as you have been and add approximately 300 calories per day. Congrats :)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    First off congrats!

Secondly your doctor can refer you to a nutritionist that specialicies in diet during pregnancy. I myself never really went to it I just ate when I was hungry and never relally had any crazy cravings except for PB&J. LOL!!

As for excersice your doctor can advice you on what would be best. When I got pregnant of my last one I was able to continue my regular excersice I just cant remember what trimester it was that the doctor allow me to continue a little jogging and mostly walking and believe it or not I was gardening through out until I delivered LOL!!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Change your focus from weightloss through healthy eating and exercise, to growing a baby through healthy eating and exercise. Be sure to get advice from your doc on this. After you have that healthy baby you'll still need to focus on healthy eating (esp. if you plan to breast feed, but even if not, you're gonna need the energy) and exercise - weightloss will be a nice by-product of your efforts. And congratulations!
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You actually should not eat that differently in first tri. That tiny little embryo doesn't take that much energy. :)

http://www.babycenter.com/0_pregnancy-weight-gain-what-to-expect_1466.bc

"Eat a healthy diet while you're pregnant and ask your doctor or midwife to help you set up an exercise program that's right for you. Eating for two doesn't mean eating twice as much as you usually do. In fact, you don't need any extra calories in your first trimester. According to the IOM, you need only 340 extra calories a day in your second trimester, and 450 extra calories daily in your third trimester."
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    There's a group on here that you should join: Fit Fabulous and Pregnant. I started a "Fit Fabulous and Pregnant, Due in September 2013" group and I'm sure as more people open up about their new status of being pregnant, many more will join with a due date close to yours.

There are some great resources to read up on and prepare yourself for when you can discuss with your doctor again.

This is the only website where I've joined the pregnancy forum, because I know when we've all had our babies, they will be great friends to motivate and stay on track of our weight goals!

Good Luck, Mama!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good advice, I'll just share what I know :smile: .

For an average/normal/healthy weight woman, first trimester you shouldn't need to eat much more than maintenance. 2nd trimester add about 300 calories per day, and 3rd add about 500. That's going to vary a little if you're under or overweight. Absolutely check with your doctor, but that's a good rule of thumb/starting point. Also, I agree with those who have told you to listen to your body. At first, you may not feel well enough to eat much - that's ok, eat what you can and the baby will take what he/she needs. And as you go, if you're hungry, EAT! If you make good choices most of the time you can allow yourself PLENTY of space for the times where you will just DIE if you don't have a Snicker's bar immediately. Speaking of, listen to your cravings, too. Often times your body is trying to tell you something. With my first baby I was craving watermelon constantly, and I believe it was because I was dehydrated. With my 2nd it was egg yolks, because I was anemic (I think).

With regard to exercise, unless/until your body or your doctor tells you otherwise, you're safe to do pretty much anything you're doing now. Don't start anything new and be conscious of how much you're lifting. Other than that, your doctor will tell you of any physical restrictions and if you're feeling tired or in pain you need to stop whatever it is you're doing.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. With my first baby, I didn't follow any of that, I treated it like time to eat everything I see. I gained 57lbs and it was a struggle to lose more than about 25 of them. With my second baby, I followed all of that (including plenty of indulgences!) and I only gained 19lbs, all of which were gone within 3 weeks. So, hopefully my experience will help you.

And CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't go at a deficit while pregnant. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with it, but my husband seems to think that we miscarried at 7 weeks because I continued training very hard and I was still eating less than my maintenance calories.

The doctor said it really is impossible to tell, but I still feel guilty and like I wasn't feeding my body enough to sustain a pregnancy.

Don't go crazy and eat whatever you want, but restricting your calories at a time when your body needs a little more is not healthy for you OR the little one. Just make good food choices. :)

Congrats on your pregnancy, and good luck :)

I can almost assure (99.9%) that your diet / deficit / exercise had NOTHING to do with your miscarriage unless you are/were seriously underweight (BMI <18). If women miscarried simply because we exercised in pregnancy or didn't get 3 square meals a day, we'd all be extinct. In addition, you don't need to be carrying ANY guilt over a circumstance that happens to up to 25% of pregnancies (yes, the miscarriage rate has been quoted THAT high, but most women never realized they were pregnant...)

Sorry about your loss, but it was more likely due to a random genetic mismatch that told your body "this one isn't the the one"...NOT something you "did". Exercise is GREAT for pregnancies. Matter of fact, I let my patients ride horses (assuming they know how in the first place) until the 3rd trimester...

Tell your other half. He doesn't need to be holding any resentment against a woman who did nothing wrong...

<---Ob/Gyn
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Its great being a Mum!

I think during the first trimester you need about 100 calories more than usual so now is not the time to diet. Depending on how overweight you are now you may maintain or even lose weight if you eat a normal amount for someone your size +100. Do not eat at a deficit as you will be depriving your baby and yourself from much needed nutrients and energy.

It is a good idea to exercise during pregnancy but it really depends on the type of exercise as to whether it is safe. If your body is used to certain exercises then you might be fine to continue with these (within reason) but I would advise against starting any new strenuous exercise routines. I'm not trying to scare you but I lost a baby at 3 months after I decided to start exercises that my body wasn't used to and was pushing myself a bit too hard. It could have just been coincidence but I would suggest you consult a doctor for exercise and diet advice as they should know your history. Don't discount walking as exercise as its something thats easy on your body and joints and it'll help keep you fit for the birth and after!
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    Congrats to you both. I used to be Midwifery Sister so know something about pregnancy and nutrition.

Definitely don't eat for 2.

Just cut back on fat and carbs but you need the essentials in dairy, fish and chicken. Same as anyone else really as long as you get those vitamins and minerals in. You will be put on iron so ensure you get plenty of fibre.

Try ginger for nausea. Not sure if there is a low cal ginger ale out there or low cal ginger nuts. Anything with ginger really as its safe.
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    Hello! Congratulations on you bundle of joy. The start of a family is something beautiful.
    So, I have never been pregnant, but I have worked in magazine about parenting for a while and I have learned a lot about how to deal with the ups and owns of pregnancy.
    One thing that called my attention in the keeping fit and healthy area was Belly Dancing. It's said to exercise all the muscles you will be using in labour and will help you to keep yourself fit and comfortable while you are expecting.They also say it helps to make sure the baby is in the best position for labour, besides forming a very strong bond with your child. Here is a link to an article:
    http://www.mindfulmum.co.uk/fitness/2012/belly-dancing-for-childbirth/
    I have done Bally dancing in the past and it is amazing, it helps to develop your core strength, teaches you to do things you never knew you could do and a lot about your body.
    I hope it helps :)
  • ChristieeSmith_x
    Options
    In pregnancy you don't need to increase your calories till the 3rd trimester and then it is only by 500. Your doctor may recommend you eat to maintain, that way you will only gain baby weight and still have enough calories to be healthy. I recommend you change your goal on here to maintain till you see your doctor. Just watch what you are eating. Keep portion sizes the same. If you have morning sickness you probably aren't getting as many calories as you log to stay in your body. Don't start any new exersize.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dont w orry about diet and exercise u are pregnanyt
    congrats bythe way
    worry a bout diet a nd exercise after baby is born

do not diet while pregnant.. the baby takes the f ood from u . u have to eat and not diet
    Pregnancy is a good time to eat whatever you want