I'm having a really hard time "starting" to exercise. Help!

Options
13»

Replies

• soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Exercise during commercial breaks on TV. You can get in about 20 minutes during a one hour show.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have been doing videos with my kids - 2 and 3 year old boys. They really enjoy playing with me, even to the cheesy 80's aerobics video I did last night. When they get bored they go play for a bit, but they always come back to join in. :-)
  • carroyo1986
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! So many great ideas that seriously made me think "how was that not obvious before".

One of the things was I have always gotten my hour lunch, but being a manager sometimes I would just choose to not take it. Nobody was telling me "don't take lunch", I just chose to. Bad choice. So now i'm choosing to take my morning and afternoon 10-15 minute breaks (with another co-worker) and walk.

Yesterday was my first "official" workout where I went to a park nearby and walked/run for 30 minutes. Today, my gym bag is packed again and i'm ready for another walk in the park. Going to increase my 30 minutes to 40 minutes today.

I am feeling a little under the weather today but drinking lots of tea and hoping that can help out a little.

Again thank you everyone for all the wonderful tips. =)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone look up the Pacer app. Its a pedometer but you can keep track over time and it hooks up to MFP (though I haven't figured out how to make MFP show my steps). I've found this to be really helpful. I started just seeing how many steps I do in a day and have been adding to it a little every week. Now I miss it if I haven't gotten in my steps.
  • cierrashadows
    Options
    Girl, don't be using that 7-7 thing as an excuse! I have work an academy classes and am gone from 8:30-10:45. You basically just have to force yourself to get up early and workout! (*or after work!) Winter time makes it sooooo much harder to get started in my opinion. I just want to hibernate and stay in bed all day. But if I force myself I will get up and do it! I always think about the disappointing feeling in myself I will have later in the day if I don't work out and it usually get me going!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! So many great ideas that seriously made me think "how was that not obvious before".

One of the things was I have always gotten my hour lunch, but being a manager sometimes I would just choose to not take it. Nobody was telling me "don't take lunch", I just chose to. Bad choice. So now i'm choosing to take my morning and afternoon 10-15 minute breaks (with another co-worker) and walk.

Yesterday was my first "official" workout where I went to a park nearby and walked/run for 30 minutes. Today, my gym bag is packed again and i'm ready for another walk in the park. Going to increase my 30 minutes to 40 minutes today.

I am feeling a little under the weather today but drinking lots of tea and hoping that can help out a little.

Again thank you everyone for all the wonderful tips. =)

Good for you! This is a great start. :D
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Workout videos can be rented from the library and used any time day or night that you have time. PLUS no excuses for bad weather! :)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have tried waking up in the morning an hour before to try an exercise, but my energy level is still very low and I just get lazy and don't get up.

You just have to do it. Seriously. Yes, it sucks the first few times you do it but after a while you get used to it. You just have to do it.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know how far you have to travel to work, but for me... if I make it home at the end of the day without exercising, I'm probably dust for the day. I take my gym bag and stop at the gym on the way home. If you aren't using a gym and are exercising at home, change clothes before you leave the office. For me, it just takes some of the excuse away.

I don't know if you can walk at lunch, but I tend to do that too. I need the mental break from sitting at my computer or training all day and I get that, fresh air and the movement helps focus me for my afternoon.