Walking commute value

Options
Hello,

I recently moved and now walk 4-5 mies/day commuting. I used to walk about 2.5/day commuting. In order to not do too much cardio, I'm wondering how to treat this walking. It's not intense of course, but it seems excessive to say, do spin or kickboxing plus 5 miles of walking. I worry that if my body gets used to this, it could be hard to lose/maintain in the future. I do resistance training and am just trying to figure out how to adjust cardio if at all. I prefer to walk than public transportation so don't really want to give it up. Thank you.

Replies

• Alessa71
    Options
    That is 4-5 miles per day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's basic walking. 1 calorie. I'd say if you're set to sedentary, you could move to lightly active. Maybe. If you want to count it as cardio though, turn it into a run session one way, walk the other.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I dont really understand the question fully, but walking 4-5 miles per day will burn around 400-500 calories. Any good?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Alessa71 wrote: »
    I worry that if my body gets used to this, it could be hard to lose/maintain in the future.

So if I might reflect what I think you're asking. "Is walking bad for you...?"

Short answer, no.

Long answer, its a low intensity medium impact activity that helps you improve your cardiac base and contributes to maintaining a calorie deficit in conjunction with your energy intake.

The concept that your "body gets used to it and ceases burning energy" is nonsense. Walking 5 miles will burn in the order of 350-400 calories. As your fitness improves you'll burn fewer calories but not enough fewer to worry about. At best 30-40 off the total.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a walking commute. it's 3.65 miles each way and i have a 15-20# bag on my back. I walk between 3.5 mph (tired days) and 4.5mph (super energetic days) and have found that this consistent, low impact cardio, is pretty much the only cardio i need. I balance it with weight training and after my heavy sets, i work on muscular endurance (60%max, 50 reps per exercise) and have found this to be my extra super magical 'sweet spot' and it gets me the results i want need and love ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I recently moved and now walk 4-5 mies/day commuting. I used to walk about 2.5/day commuting. In order to not do too much cardio, I'm wondering how to treat this walking. It's not intense of course, but it seems excessive to say, do spin or kickboxing plus 5 miles of walking. I worry that if my body gets used to this, it could be hard to lose/maintain in the future. I do resistance training and am just trying to figure out how to adjust cardio if at all. I prefer to walk than public transportation so don't really want to give it up. Thank you.

if you think its excessive, dont do it... but you dont want to get public transport, so you should walk...

losing weight is all about the calorie deficit. if you have one, you'll lose weight.
  • Alessa71
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I guess I was asking if it's somehow bad for me to do this plus other cardio (will it waste muscle, will my body expect this amount so that I'll gain if I stop, etc.). But looking at it from a calorie in/out perspective as suggested, I will just have to adjust around it if that day comes that I drop it.
    I am also wondering how much more cardio (of the intense variety) in light of this additional walking. Should that amount go down down. Again, from a daily deficit perspective, I think I will want to do a little less of the "real" cardio because I want to leave something to manipulate if and when I walk less (like if I move closer to work some day or drive). At that point I will still be able to add more intense cardio.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    will it waste muscle

No

That's pure, no nonsense, Broscience (ie bollox)

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think this is a question of "how much cardio is too much?", if I'm interpreting correctly.
    I'd be curious about that answer too, if anybody knows it.

The program I'm on has me doing both walking and cross-fit training, but never on the same day. I've never seen a recommendation to do both walking and cross-fit in the same day. Doesn't seem like it should be a problem, though. Might want to give yourself a couple weeks to adjust to the increased commute, either by not doing the classes or by taking the bus on class days. Just my 2-cents.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you so it's great that you do it daily, I average 8 miles a day/ 4 of those I run, the rest is my day to day steps (per Fitbit)...We were given legs to walk so why not use them ☺ if you have the energy to do another cardio workout, go for it! but I would say you should think about adding some strength training ☺
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    I think this is a question of "how much cardio is too much?", if I'm interpreting correctly.
    I'd be curious about that answer too, if anybody knows it.

The program I'm on has me doing both walking and cross-fit training, but never on the same day. I've never seen a recommendation to do both walking and cross-fit in the same day. Doesn't seem like it should be a problem, though. Might want to give yourself a couple weeks to adjust to the increased commute, either by not doing the classes or by taking the bus on class days. Just my 2-cents.

Yeah, your body will get used to it in no time ☺
  • Alessa71
    Options
    Thanks all. I do strength training regularly and will leave that. Part of my concern was compromising it with the walking plus cardio, but I'll see. So far I find my legs don't feel any worse though at 42 it's all relative.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    eh, im almost 40, walking is great for you - just make sure you have great shoes that can keep up with your mileage so you dont get footsie problems! :D
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    It's basic walking. 1 calorie. I'd say if you're set to sedentary, you could move to lightly active. Maybe. If you want to count it as cardio though, turn it into a run session one way, walk the other.

Really? Walking 4-5 miles a day on the commute alone is considered lightly active? I think that's a little low...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I think it is recommended that people get 10,000 steps per day. For people with a normal gait, that is approx. 5 miles.
  • librarial
    librarial Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    will my body expect this amount so that I'll gain if I stop, etc.
    The only way you'll gain if you stop is if you keep eating the same amount you're eating now. If you're burning 400 cals a day walking, and you eat an extra 400 cals a day, then you'll maintain your current weight. If you stop walking, but keep on eating that extra 400 cals every day, you'll gain almost a pound a week.

Walking is great exercise, and if you're eating right, walking regularly can help you lose weight, if that's what you're after. But if you do stop walking, you'll have to change your other habits accordingly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Really? Walking 4-5 miles a day on the commute alone is considered lightly active? I think that's a little low...

Two things.
    1. Smarter to go with the lower value, because that "4 mile walk" might be 2 and change. There is a bias towards over reporting.
    2. If they're walking to a desk job, then yeah, it's really just a step over sedentary.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Two things.
    1. Smarter to go with the lower value, because that "4 mile walk" might be 2 and change. There is a bias towards over reporting.
    2. If they're walking to a desk job, then yeah, it's really just a step over sedentary.

I have learned something new today. Thank you.