Working out and Weight Loss

Options
I have been dieting for 10 weeks now and have had great success so far with little to no exercise. I have lost 20 pounds in that time and am almost at my goal weight of 165 pounds. I want to start lifting weights and doing some cardio but I am nervous that this will all but halt my weight loss. I currently eat about 1350 calories per day based on myfitnesspal suggestion to get to my weight loss goal. I will need to take in more calories if I am going to work out, so my fear is this will not only stop my loss but increase my weight. Thoughts on this?

Replies

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Get a HRM so that you can accurately log the calories. Mfp overestimates by a lot! And then eat them if you like! I think I eat 3/4 of mine generally. But yes!!! Work out! For sure because you are going to have a much better body that way if that's what you're into. And also don't get slack at the weighing and measuring of food portions! You might have a standstill for a couple of weeks but probs no more than that. And you will be a healthy little bean :-)
  • slim4good
    Options
    That's great you list so much with little exercise can I ask how you lost so much
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    slim4good wrote: »
    That's great you list so much with little exercise can I ask how you lost so much

he is only eating 1350 cals, thats how....
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comments above. As long as you accurately capture your workout calories, you should be able to maintain a calorie deficit and still lose weight. And as an added bonus, you get to eat a little bit more.

My favorite part about running days is I get an calories for that day. The key is to fill it with good stuff to refuel. And weight lifting is a great way to reshape your body as you lose weight.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to be skinny or to be muscular? If your goal is to be skinny, you don't need to workout. You will lose weight slower when you start to lift weights, however you will be much happier with your overall body composition when you do decide to start lifting weights. Cardio is great for your heart, so don't skimp on that either. When I went back to the gym back in August and started lifting weights again I was stuck losing and gaining the same 4 pounds for 3 months. I bounced from 260 to 264, but I knew I was losing fat. I could see it in the mirror and my clothes fit different but the scale would not move. This month however I have lost almost 7 pounds and my clothes are now falling off me and I need a new wardrobe. Go hit the weights man, and be patient. Find a good program, 5x5, Stronglifts, etc. Stick with it, it will work.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Your calories seem low to me also. Have you calculated your TDEE. Go here and plug your numbers in. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ Once you find out what your cal goals are for the day, set them up on MFP and use those for a couple months and see how your weight loss goes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    totally think you should pick out a book and educate yourself about what strength training does to your body, so you won;t worry about things like this :) best of luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How on earth would exercising halt weight loss???
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Exercising will not stop your weightloss, that statement really boggled my mind. It will burn more calories in turn allowing you to eat more (because at 1350 cal's per day I am pretty sure you are Hungry). That is less than I eat per day. However if you are that worried about it and because there is no way to track calories burned 100% accurately just eat 75% of them back.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    slim4good wrote: »

he is only eating 1350 cals, thats how....
    Ugh, reading such a low calorie goal for a male makes me insanely hungry.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    maybe he's super short
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just to throw out there, when I first started weight training, I stopped losing for about 4 weeks, while my body adjusted to the new routine. After that the losses started again, and i'm now having bigger weekly losses then before.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    stop thinking about weight loss and concentrate on fat loss. that looks a very low calorie target and you could be shedding a lot of muscle mass . lifting weights will minimise muscle loss and in turn burn a few extra calories. shedding muscle mass is not a good idea unless you have a specific reason to do it. ps keep your protein high i.e. at least 1g per pound of lean body mass. give us your stats and we could give you more accurate advice.
  • anashnyc
    anashnyc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am losing by eating less calories. My caloric goal according to mfp is now 1270 and I should hit the goal. I agree with most of you that I am probably eating to few calories if I work out, but I feel pretty good at the caloric goal I am now. I will definitely start eating more calories when I start lifting.
  • anashnyc
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    maybe he's super short
    I am 5'8". Not super short, but not getting drafted for the NBA either

• anashnyc
    Options
    Exercising will not stop your weightloss, that statement really boggled my mind. It will burn more calories in turn allowing you to eat more (because at 1350 cal's per day I am pretty sure you are Hungry). That is less than I eat per day. However if you are that worried about it and because there is no way to track calories burned 100% accurately just eat 75% of them back.

First, I am not super hungry ever. I really snack on things that have little caloric value but fill me up like raw green beans for example. On the other hand, I know that I could eat more calories if I work out, but....i am afraid if I eat to much, I still wont lose cause I wont burn enough in the gym.