ok....I give in!!!!

Options
chatogal
chatogal Posts: 436 Member
So here I am a 55 year old, ever so menapausal lady, with an ambition to get back (well, ok,not quite back -I am realistic!!) to a weight I felt good at, aged 40.

So, I started on this weightloss "journey". I wanted to find something that I felt would be sustainable for the rest of my life. I hate and completely loathe the gym (no dis-respect to gym lovers intended - my hubby is a gym lover!!). So my method of exercise is walking...and boy do I walk!! Anyway, it's all been pretty good, I kinda zig-zag my calories, not always brilliant about logging, I love cooking, love healthy eating and adore wine (my downfall + I am a health worker and all the naughty treats can build up!). So....what is my point? I have FINALLY given in to the idea of needing to do some weight-lifting to TRY and trim up my upper arm, shoulder,boob area. You see my hips and bum dont look half bad for a woman my age....even if I says so myself...but oh dear..the fat around my armpits...tsk tsk. So luckily...remember the gym going hubby? HE has weights at home, knows an exercise or two and has set me on my way.....please wish me fortitude to keep going...thank you...(hope I didnt bore you all)

Replies

• firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It's never to late to get healthy. :)
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Good girl you know it makes sense! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • carlytenney
    carlytenney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!. I am 52 but not quite menopausal yet but getting there. I too am trying to tone my arms. I have not clue what I'm doing but I googled some pictures and am following the steps. I think that my weights are not heavy enough tho maybe 2.5 lbs. Feel free to friend me if you like. Maybe you can give me pointers since you have your husband to help.
  • chatogal
    Options
    Good luck to you!. I am 52 but not quite menopausal yet but getting there. I too am trying to tone my arms. I have not clue what I'm doing but I googled some pictures and am following the steps. I think that my weights are not heavy enough tho maybe 2.5 lbs. Feel free to friend me if you like. Maybe you can give me pointers since you have your husband to help.

Hi...he suggested 5lb weights to start with...I scoffed at him...so started. ...yikes cant remember..lol. All I know is I wanted it to feel lije I was LIFTING something!!...will friend you and pass on his suggestions :-)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Good for you! If you need direction, you might want to read The New Rules of Lifting for Women, or the latest edition The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged.
  • chatogal
    Options
    Good for you! If you need direction, you might want to read The New Rules of Lifting for Women, or the latest edition The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged.
    thank you:smile:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So here I am a 55 year old, ever so menapausal lady, with an ambition to get back (well, ok,not quite back -I am realistic!!) to a weight I felt good at, aged 40.

Never too late, you rock those weights. ;)

If you have any questions though, there are a lot of books out there. I personally like one called Starting Strength by a guy named Mark Rippetoe, he's a brilliant strength training coach. I've also seen some mention of something called New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women or something to that effect, might be of some use. :)

Good luck, lift things up and put them down.
  • chatogal
    Options

Never too late, you rock those weights. ;)

If you have any questions though, there are a lot of books out there. I personally like one called Starting Strength by a guy named Mark Rippetoe, he's a brilliant strength training coach. I've also seen some mention of something called New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women or something to that effect, might be of some use. :)

Good luck, lift things up and put them down.
    ty.:-)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and know I "should" lift more.... its coming... and yeah... 5 is heavy for me very quickly.
  • lisahenderson9803
    lisahenderson9803 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good luck,
    Try this link
    http://www.livestrong.com/video/1000190-ways-lose-flabby-arms-pushups/
    Despite the title there is no pushups and the day after I first tried it I knew about it:-)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do the New Rules of Lifting for Women twice a week (I run three-four days a week) and love it. Really starting to see results. However, I'd ignore the diet advice in the book.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

So, I started on this weightloss "journey". I wanted to find something that I felt would be sustainable for the rest of my life. I hate and completely loathe the gym (no dis-respect to gym lovers intended - my hubby is a gym lover!!). So my method of exercise is walking...and boy do I walk!! Anyway, it's all been pretty good, I kinda zig-zag my calories, not always brilliant about logging, I love cooking, love healthy eating and adore wine (my downfall + I am a health worker and all the naughty treats can build up!). So....what is my point? I have FINALLY given in to the idea of needing to do some weight-lifting to TRY and trim up my upper arm, shoulder,boob area. You see my hips and bum dont look half bad for a woman my age....even if I says so myself...but oh dear..the fat around my armpits...tsk tsk. So luckily...remember the gym going hubby? HE has weights at home, knows an exercise or two and has set me on my way.....please wish me fortitude to keep going...thank you...(hope I didnt bore you all)

GOOD! Not just for fitness but weight lifting improves bone density as you age.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    GOOD! Not just for fitness but weight lifting improves bone density as you age.

^^^ This X2 Even if you don't enjoy it you won't regret it or the results you'll get! Good luck!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun on your journey. Glad to hear you have given in to the dark side of weight training. It's actually super good for us women in so many ways as we age!
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi. Good luck on your weight training! I am 54 and I've don't it off and on for the last 15 years or so. I just got back into it and right now I'm doing 100 LB deadlifts. It will make a huge change to your body composition if you keep at it, and you are never too late to start. Just go along at your own pace, and don't try to lift anything heavier than you can handle. NROLFW or NROLFL are good books to start with. Also, Mark Rippertoe has some great form videos on Youtube.
  • ChatoGuy
    ChatoGuy Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh and she forgot the 'extra' arm toning exercise she gets almost every night as she wacks me a good one across the face when she claims I am snoring! That counts too! :-)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, and with my weight loss so far, I am starting to notice the dreaded "bat wings". Is weight lifting my only hope?
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I second Starting Strength.