Is there a group on here? I need help - lost 80 in 2 yrs then gained 40 in 3 months

Options
211AndCounting
211AndCounting Posts: 12
edited November 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
It took two years to lose 80 pounds, then I quit walking and logging food and gained 40 pounds in three MONTHS. Help !!! can anyone suggest a group on here or any suggestions please. Edit: I should mention, I started at 282 lbs, got down to 198 (my lowest in June of this year) now back up to 241 lbs. YIKES !!!

Replies

• Deps
    Deps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to take a deep breath, know you have done it before, know it is hard but you can do it again. You are still much lighter than you started so this time you don't have as much to lose. This time, when you lose your 80 pounds, you will be much more aware of what you are eating, making certain on to slip up again. Take it as a life lesson.

I'm in much the same boat as you. I lose 30+ kgs in about a year and a bit. Then, due to stress at work, I started falling into my old habits of rewarding myself with food - chocolate, takeaways - whatever I wanted. I saw myself putting on the weight again and I either denied it, ignored it or justified it because my work was cardio heavy (Even though that clearly wasn't keeping the weight off).

My biggest error, and one I hope I will learn from, was that I stopped weighing myself. Even if I decided to give up logging calories and exercising, stopping weighing myself was the problem. The first 10kgs were too easy to ignore. The next five I saw the weight going on but was too scared to weigh myself. The final five made my shirt arms fit uncomfortably. I was forced to step on a scale when donating blood and it shook me up to see that horrible number there again, one I thought I had long ago left behind. I know if I had weight myself earlier I would have reined it in.

So: Rein it in. Start to weigh yourself regularly again - whatever works for you. I like to do it daily, just as a reminder, and if there is a total loss at the end of the week I'm happy. Just don't stop doing it. Weigh yourself, log your calories, know that this slip up isn't the end of the world and that you can succeed again. This time you'll just be a little wiser at the other end.

Best of luck!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First of all, stop beating yourself up. What's done is done.

Start weighing and logging your food with your next meal and take it from there.

This time around you know what works for you and what doesn't.

Start planning your meals and looking up recipes.

Incorporate some exercise.

Be kind to yourself.

• JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The tactics and techniques outlined in MFP do not constitute a diet. They constitute a lifestyle change. You decided to go on a diet and you lost weight. This time around make it a permanent lifestyle change. You apparently went back to your old ways once you lost the weight. This is common so don't beat yourself up.
  • 211AndCounting
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind and wise words. For sure the main thing you said is not to beat myself up ... this will give me the courage to go forward. This morning I decided to try quitting caffeine JUST FOR TODAY. I also am logging my food JUST FOR TODAY. And I will do my walk JUST FOR TODAY. And the weighing is important, it keeps me accountable. THANKS GUYZ. I took my deep breath and believe JUST FOR TODAY I can, with the help of my God, accomplish my 3 goals today. Thanks again you guyz, you are awesome !!