Exercise at work - office life

Hello

What type of exercise do you all do during a working day when working in an office? I am looking for some ideas.

Many thanks!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    nothing... i'm at work... i workout when i get home.
  • bren3jet
    bren3jet Posts: 33 Member
    I take a couple of minutes to walk/run up our double flight of stairs. I try to go up and down 40 times in my 8 hour shift.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Go for a walk or run on your break? Depends on the area you're working in though I guess, and what breaks you get.

I prefer to workout before I go to work, though.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    If I have the car I park it about 20 mins away and walk (it helps that they charge to park where I work lol). And on days I don't have the car I try and walk from work to the school to collect the kids, which takes just over an hour. Can't really do anything in work though.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    I walk to work/home from work (I only live 1.5 miles from my office). Always talk the stairs, arrange to have my meetings in one of the other buildings rather than getting colleagues to come to me, use my lunch hour to walk around the city. It's very hilly here, so it feels like a workout!

Sometimes I'll do a couple of squats in the bathroom if it's been a static day. This is in addition to working out 5 days a week.

Moving around a bit during the day also helps my mental focus, particularly around death hour (3pm onwards).
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    yep. this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    ^This
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Walk up and down the stairs every time I pass them. Take the long way around to where ever I am going. Park as far away from the door as I can. And I go into the office at least an hour early to work out in the gym provided for our employees.
  • ka33433
    ka33433 Posts: 32 Member
    Yep, but there are bikes for under the desk, regular breaks to walk to the toilet, walking the stairs things like that.. anyone got any unique ideas? xx
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I walk over to the cafe for a cake....
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    edited November 2014
    I leave the house dressed in sweats and sneakers, with a small packed bag with work attire and toiletries in tow. I drive to work an hour beforehand and do 6-7 laps power walking around my complex (955 steps per lap) before I hit the bathroom to freshen up and dress for work. Throughout the day I get two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch. I throw on my sneakers and end up walking another 7-8 laps. All in all, on a good day of 15 laps, it's about 14,325 steps, or approximately 7 miles. With two toddlers at home it's the only way I seemed able to squeeze in exercise.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    edited November 2014
    I get an hour lunch, so I generally eat first, which takes about 20 minutes or so, and then I walk. I work for a law office in a courthouse, so if the weather is bad, I just walk up and down the halls. If the weather is nice, I head outside. I try to get at least 20 minutes in, at least 3 times a week. I actually just got a pedometer and plan on wearing it and giving myself a step goal everyday.

I also have two kids and my husband is not home during the week, so I try to fit in as must as possible on breaks!
  • Lythy89
    Lythy89 Posts: 57 Member
    I normally go for a 20 minute walk which is normally about a mile which isn't a lot...but if you do it 5 times a week on your break its 5 mile+ a week! :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    When I'm at work I'm too busy working to exercise. My advice woule be to take the stairs instead of the elevator, and instead of emailing/calling someone in your office just walk over to their desk. Maybe take a walk at lunchtime (depending on where you work - I can't do this because my office is on a busy NJ highway)

Or - you can do a regular work out when you get home.
  • dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 53 Member
    I walk to work/home from work (I only live 1.5 miles from my office). Always talk the stairs, arrange to have my meetings in one of the other buildings rather than getting colleagues to come to me, use my lunch hour to walk around the city. It's very hilly here, so it feels like a workout!

Sometimes I'll do a couple of squats in the bathroom if it's been a static day. This is in addition to working out 5 days a week.

Moving around a bit during the day also helps my mental focus, particularly around death hour (3pm onwards).

I do my squats in the bathroom too. Lol. On day three of the squat challenge. Made it very interesting going up and down the stairs today after that.

• Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    edited November 2014
    I have a very intense job and a baby, so most of my work out is done during my lunchbreak. I catch an earlier bus and get off about 6 blocks from the office for a brisk walk. I then walk up and down the stairwell of ten flights three times, doing burpees/squats/push ups in between levels (our stairwell is not used at all so I'm not running into people). At lunch I have a pilates app. I do about 20 minutes of pilates in the stairwell (again, no one is there) and if I have time, I do my stair routine from the morning. If it's beautiful out, I don't do the pilates/stairs during lunch, I walk briskly/jog and run stairs outside for 30 minutes. I do get an hour lunch break so I'm able to eat and exercise. Finally, I get off the bus 6 blocks from my house to end my work day work out. I typically can burn around 300-400 calories on this routine. I do this 5 times a week.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    I'm an office work that is lucky to have a studio and gym at work. I work out to DVD's in the studio on my lunch break.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Aside from never taking the elevator.... I sit on an exercise ball instead of a shair... and try to do little ab work outs as I'm reading emails.... they only last the length of an email...which is like, ten seconds, but it's something I suppose!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I joined a gym that is about a block from my office since I know from past experience that if I make it really convenient like that I'll go much more often. I like to go at lunchtime, though I sometimes do classes before or after work also.

I also try to get some extra exercise in on the commute. I bike commute a few days a week part of the year, and I get a good bit of walking in when I take the L, and sometimes get off at an earlier stop or walk to a farther away one on the way home to increase the walking portion of the trip.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    me and two of my colleagues do something called 7 minute workout on youtube. Some sit ups, jumping jacks, lunges and push ups. It's a good workout and sometimes we do it twice during lunch break.