Soda/sugar making you look older?

Options
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/11/12/what-is-soda-doing-to-your-skin/?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

“I notice wrinkles, skin texture, oil content,” he said. “When you see somebody who is having a lot of sugar, their skin doesn’t look glowing or bright, it looks saggy and dull.”

Another reason to limit soda and foods with added sugar?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    what a pile of ...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In general, fat people look older than thin people not matter how they got fat.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I read the study it does not even specify it's sample sizes or how it accounts for the veracity of participants report data. It is therefore highly suspect and likely has an agenda.

Fat peoples skin is put through the wringer because it is stretched out and skin folds have a tendency to nurse things like sores and dry skin. It's not that hard to imagine. This study seems to be an attempt to spin something perfectly logical in an attempt to demonize soft drinks. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of mineral water company behind this crap. Companies pull nonsense like this all the time. There should be a law against trying to use science as a form of advertising.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    I read the study it does not even specify it's sample sizes or how it accounts for the veracity of participants report data. It is therefore highly suspect and likely has an agenda.

Fat peoples skin is put through the wringer because it is stretched out and skin folds have a tendency to nurse things like sores and dry skin. It's not that hard to imagine. This study seems to be an attempt to spin something perfectly logical in an attempt to demonize soft drinks. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of mineral water company behind this crap. Companies pull nonsense like this all the time. There should be a law against trying to use science as a form of advertising.

well ....it seems to focus on sugar and even takes a swipe at caffeine and the evidence seems anecdotal but still....it doesnt seem off the charts wrong (at least to me)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    what a pile of ...

pooh
  • RHachicho
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

well ....it seems to focus on sugar and even takes a swipe at caffeine and the evidence seems anecdotal but still....it doesnt seem off the charts wrong (at least to me)

Sorry but it really is. Being specific about the sample size and how you obtain accurate data is one of the hallmarks of a good scientific study. The only thing in this study which even refers to sample size is simply labeling it "sufficient". But what is sufficient? Is 50 participants sufficient? 5? 3? We have no idea how many people are involved in the study. And there is absolutely no control about how the participants in those studies reported their intake. Obviously you can't retain total control. But this study did not specify their methodology at ALL.

I'm not infallible though if I somehow missed the point in my study where they provide good scientific methodology and sample sizes feel free to quote that. Just you feeling the study is right though that's just your confirmation bias working. Because you like the results of the study and want them to be correct. I am sorry but that's how it works.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Well let's see I drink more coffee than most, and eat a good portion of sugar.

Here's what I looked like when I started: 47f174b53cc4ced93cd1c83d83182bf423d6.jpg

Almost 2 years later:
    47f1084d08393ade4e5b06e1bdfd64818d2e.jpg

Think I'll stick with my caffeine & sugar
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Sorry but it really is. Being specific about the sample size and how you obtain accurate data is one of the hallmarks of a good scientific study. The only thing in this study which even refers to sample size is simply labeling it "sufficient". But what is sufficient? Is 50 participants sufficient? 5? 3? We have no idea how many people are involved in the study. And there is absolutely no control about how the participants in those studies reported their intake. Obviously you can't retain total control. But this study did not specify their methodology at ALL.

I'm not infallible though if I somehow missed the point in my study where they provide good scientific methodology and sample sizes feel free to quote that. Just you feeling the study is right though that's just your confirmation bias working. Because you like the results of the study and want them to be correct. I am sorry but that's how it works.

Assuming I want the results to be correct is incorrect. I saw the article and posted on it. I know how "it works"

• RHachicho
    edited November 2014
    Options

Assuming I want the results to be correct is incorrect. I saw the article and posted on it. I know how "it works"

So you saw an article with extremely shaky science on the internet and just posted it? Ahhh I see it's not something subtle and understandable like confirmation bias. You are just irresponsible. Also be careful not to type your reply inside the quotation tags.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    My skin is super super oily. Which is a bad thing...and a good thing at the same time...means I won't get wrinkles so quickly. But sugar has nothing to do with it. I've cut down severely before...and it made no difference. So.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

not always true... sometimes fat people look younger as the fat plumps out the wrinkles.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

not always true... sometimes fat people look younger as the fat plumps out the wrinkles.

Seems to be around 40 that fat starts to make you look younger apparently. Not going to bother getting that study but certainly younger people do tend to look older when heavier but that does seem to change around a certain age. Of course, when you are 50 and look 45 it's not nearly making up for looking 35 when you are 25.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    True. Drinking one sugary soda a day may speed up the rate at which your body ages. Sugar is just a speculation. There could be something else in soda that causes aging. Soda has dehydrating effect — caused by caffeine and can mess with your skin’s ability to bounce back. Live a healthy life and minimize sodas or drinks that are bad. Take vitamins and supplements to replenish nutrients loss.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Let's run through this article.

Paragraphs 1-2: Speculation about science and soft drinks written by a journalist.
    Paragraphs 3-4: Dermatologist offers anecdote.
    Paragraph 5: Fact from CDC study is posed. Fact given: "the top source of added sugar in American’s diet is beverages." *
    Paragraph 6-8: Dermatologist offers anecdotal evidence.
    Paragraph 9: NIH study posted potentially connecting dark colas with sugar. **
    Paragraph 10-11: Unsubstantiated statements and aging.
    Paragraph 12-16: Anecdotes from dermatologist and statements from journalist.

* Did anyone actually read this survey? The Fox News article uses the study to make the claim, "Results from National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the top source of added sugar in American’s diet is beverages." FALSE. Click the study linked in the news article. It had 4 primary findings. The third finding: "More of the calories from added sugars came from foods rather than beverages."

**The conclusion from the second study is about connecting AGEs to aging and anti-aging. It has nothing to do with table sugar or added sugar or soda. It talks a little about diet and AGE, but says, "Moreover, it seems that the level of circulating AGEs levels are genetically determined, as shown in a cohort study of healthy monozygotic and heterozygotic twins."

*mic drop*