weight lifting program or schedule help

Options
I'm doing cardio Monday Wednesday and Friday but looking to do weight lifting on Tuesday and Thursday. Is there a program or video that I can follow along with. I'll be lifting at the gym but can put whatever on my phone. I was doing a group class but they do alot of weighted lunges and squats but my legs are already soar from the cardio so I don't want to do those.

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Generally 3 days a week are best....loads of good programmes around:
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    I also found one on 'aworkoutroutine' website which is great for beginners.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Do you do cardio to lose weight or to train for an endurance event? What do you want to get out of lifting?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals, but look into Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Both are full body lifting programs you can do on your non-cardio days.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    strong lifts 5x5 is a go to for folks new to picking things up and putting them down... there IS an APP for that and it is free... HOWEVER your cardio will suffer... given that 5x5 is a 3day/week schedule... BUT it bears mentioning that muscles begin to dystrophy after3 days of rest... SO.. a two day/week resistance training might be... of limited value... LOOK into circuit training.. which will combine resistance WITH cardio... the best of both worlds?
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think Chalene Extreme has a great weights program for both beginners and experienced lifters. Its a video series, so not too sure how it will help at the gym.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    So, I had great results doing 2 days a week mixed with cardio. The one that I did for a while is Push and Pull. I found this exercise routine on Jefit.com - which is also a free app you can download. Below is the routine
    - Push Day - 3 sets of 8
    - Bench Press
    - Dumbell Incline Fly
    - Barbell Standing Press
    - Dumbell Arnold Press
    - Dips
    - Tricep Lying Extension
    - Barbell Squat
    - Leg Extension
    - Standing Calf Raise
    - Pull Day
    - Deadlift
    - Barbell Row
    - Pull-ups
    - Alternating Hammer Curls
    - Preacher Curls
    - Leg Curls
    - Hanging Knee Raises
    - Weighted Side Bends
    - Standing Reverse Fly
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks that push and pull looks like it will work. I know about 5x5 but I'm doing cardio more I still have a bunch of weight to loose. But i want to get into lifting so slowly at first works for me. I'm pretty sure in another 30 or 40 pounds I will switch to more lifting though.
  • freakhazerd2424
    Options
    Also i checked out chalene extreme it looks cool I'll maybe try that to. I can put it on my phone and use ear buds awsome. Thanks everyone I really love this community
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's great to see that you're loosing the weight! I will say that lifting is just as important while loosing weight as cardio. It's likely some people will come along and tell you you don't need cardio to loose weight, but personally I think the cardio does more for your health than just burning calories. I would still say to possibly change up the amounts to 3 days lifting and 2 days cardio. It should help you loose more fat lbs than muscle lbs while you're loosing that extra weight. In the end, you'll look and feel better either way though.

I'm currently doing the exact opposite of you (M/F/W lifting & T/TH cardio) and am maintaining a loss of about 1.5 lbs a week with my calorie deficit. I'm also mostly maintaining my lift strength which is nice to see. Either way good luck and enjoy shedding the lbs!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wait until you dropped 40 lbs to start lifting. Start lifting more days a week now. I still have at least 40 lbs to lose and I lift 5 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week. You will lose time lifting weights if you wait till you drop your 40 lbs. You will lose the weight more slowly with lifting, but your over all body composition will be much more improved once you get all 40 of those lbs you want off you.
  • freakhazerd2424
    Options
    It's great to see that you're loosing the weight! I will say that lifting is just as important while loosing weight as cardio. It's likely some people will come along and tell you you don't need cardio to loose weight, but personally I think the cardio does more for your health than just burning calories. I would still say to possibly change up the amounts to 3 days lifting and 2 days cardio. It should help you loose more fat lbs than muscle lbs while you're loosing that extra weight. In the end, you'll look and feel better either way though.

I'm currently doing the exact opposite of you (M/F/W lifting & T/TH cardio) and am maintaining a loss of about 1.5 lbs a week with my calorie deficit. I'm also mostly maintaining my lift strength which is nice to see. Either way good luck and enjoy shedding the lbs!

That makes sense. Maybe I will try that for a few months. Thanks for another way to look at it
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks that push and pull looks like it will work. I know about 5x5 but I'm doing cardio more I still have a bunch of weight to loose. But i want to get into lifting so slowly at first works for me. I'm pretty sure in another 30 or 40 pounds I will switch to more lifting though.

Why wait? I lost most of my weight strictly lifting...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm doing cardio Monday Wednesday and Friday but looking to do weight lifting on Tuesday and Thursday. Is there a program or video that I can follow along with. I'll be lifting at the gym but can put whatever on my phone. I was doing a group class but they do alot of weighted lunges and squats but my legs are already soar from the cardio so I don't want to do those.

A video? lol. Really?

Find a good program for lifting for newbies, and follow it. You'll need to lift three days a week though, and put some stank on it. Cardio is great, and maintain the current cardio volume, just add in an extra day of lifting.