Uncomfortable with attention

I know that I feel good when I'm at my goal weight and I know that I look very very nice but I must say the attention that comes with losing weight is sometimes very uncomfortable for me. I don't accept compliments very well and do not like the spotlight or anyone to look at my body and analyze it and make comments about which areas I have lost weight and it's very uncomfortable. I wonder if this is sometimes why I sabotage my diet. I turn bright red and don't know what to say. I wondered if anyone can help me try to work through this or if anyone experiences this type of feeling as well. I feel like I'm the only person that when they lose weight does not enjoy the spotlight along with it and I see other people that lose weight and they are smiling And love the attention and love the spotlight and love the comments from other men and women. I hope that I can maybe accept complements and be comfortable with my new look once I achieve it . Thank you so much for my help I am 5 foot five and looking to lose about 30 pounds haven't stepped on the scale yet for my starting weight I'm going to try to get the courage tomorrow

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Why are people commenting on different parts of your body? If you don't like it, tell them to stop. You're in charge here.

As far as what to say when someone (appropriately) compliments you - just say thank you. If you feel the compliment is inappropriate, tell them. No one will ever respect your personal boundaries unless they know your personal boundaries.

It sounds like you might suffer from low self esteem. If that is the case, nothing will change once you've lost 30 pounds. You'll still be uncomfortable with attention and compliments. That's maybe something you need to work on in tandem with your weight loss goals.

Good luck.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Someone once told me it was egotistical to blush or be embarassed by compliments. Basically you are thinking solely about yourself (there was a lot more to his comments, but that was the gist). When someone compliments you, say Thank You and immediately turn the attention to them. "Thanks. Your hair looks great today, did you do something different? Love that shirt - is it new?" Its a way to change the focus from you, without being too rude. People generally like to talk about themselves more than others anyway, so this changes their focus too and lets them talk.

Obviously if the comments are inappropriate, you have to figure something else out. (maybe "gee thats kind of personal, dont you think?").
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    I understand! It is somewhat embarrassing. I definitely have that. But I do find... the longer you simply maintain that healthy weight, then for other people, the more "normal" for you to look like that. The compliments about weight loss will slow and mostly just stop. So it's a matter of pushing through - just say "thanks" and change the topic :) After a while you'll just be you and people won't comment forever. They'll find someone or something else to talk about.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    aylajane wrote: »
    Someone once told me it was egotistical to blush or be embarassed by compliments. Basically you are thinking solely about yourself (there was a lot more to his comments, but that was the gist). When someone compliments you, say Thank You and immediately turn the attention to them. "Thanks. Your hair looks great today, did you do something different? Love that shirt - is it new?" Its a way to change the focus from you, without being too rude. People generally like to talk about themselves more than others anyway, so this changes their focus too and lets them talk.

wow can't imagine how it is egotistical to blush during a compliment. Sounds like that person has some unresolved issues. It is normal to blush when someone pays you a compliment. I don't see why it would be necessary for me to say something nice to you just because you gave me a compliment. If I have something nice to say ok fine but if not I will say thank you and keep it moving. No need for additional conversation unless I want to not because I have too.
    OP good luck with your weight loss journey!!