Invisalign

Options
HollyMGT
HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
Has anyone tried (or currently use) Invisalign to straighten your teeth? If so, how do you like it? Is it real noticable when you're wearing them? Are you seeing good results?

Thanks!

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My son has it. They aren't very noticeable and they worked as well as regular braces. He is on retainers now which are just like the regular liners except a little sturdier.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I've had Invisalign since June and have about 22 weeks left.

You have to wear them 22 hours a day, and they're only to be removed when eating or drinking anything but water. (I'm bad and drink pretty much everything while wearing them). Oh and you have to brush and floss your teeth before putting them back in after removal.

Not sure if you need the 'attachments' or 'buttons' but they are a huge PIA and totally noticable.

I have to go to the dentist every 6 weeks for new trays (they give you 3 at a time and you wear each tray for 2 weeks). So expect to spend loads of time at the dentists office. Also, expect dry mouth, canker sores and chapped lips.

I got used to it but it's a big lifestyle change at first. Especially in social situations where there's food around. It's weird brushing your teeth in a restaurant bathroom.

One huge benefit (besides straight teeth) is weight loss. You can't eat with these suckers in your mouth so it'll prevent you from snacking.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :smiley:
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    How did you handle the cost? I wish I could afford invisalign but my insurance doesn't cover it and I can't justify spending over 3k on my mouth
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I financed it...most dentists offer a financing option.
  • mom2mcjc
    mom2mcjc Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My ortho steered me away from Invisalign, even though he is one of their top providers. I got clear braces instead. They are actually cute. You can't even tell they are there from a distance. The clear braces are less expensive, too.
  • mom2mcjc
    mom2mcjc Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    How did you handle the cost? I wish I could afford invisalign but my insurance doesn't cover it and I can't justify spending over 3k on my mouth

Some employers offer a flexible spending account (FSA) where the money is taken out of your check at regular intervals, pre-tax. Since this makes your 'income' smaller, you may end up paying less in taxes at the end of the year, which will make it cost less. You are reimbursed as you pay, which is handy, because most orthodontists offer interest-free financing.
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    HollyMGT wrote: »
    Has anyone tried (or currently use) Invisalign to straighten your teeth? If so, how do you like it? Is it real noticable when you're wearing them? Are you seeing good results?

Thanks!

Take this as you want, but my brother works as a type of dental consultant (basically, he goes around sells "industry leading" practices etc. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it all means, but he seems to know his stuff. Anyway, he's always told me that invisalign isn't worth it.

• SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Huge time commitment. You gotta REALLY want it.