How do I Stay In Shape/Healthy While Maintaining Goal Weight?

Options
paul6789
paul6789 Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
This is my first discussion post here, so bear with me. About a year ago I set out to lose weight and get in shape. Since then I have been on a pretty strict routine of (1) calorie deficit (between 1500 and 1700 cal - I am 6'0", 27 yrs old), (2) high fiber/fat diet, and (2) daily exercise (running about twice a week - less now with the Minnesota winter weather - walking 3-5 times a week, bodyweight strength training 3-6 times a week).

I started out weighing around 198#, and now I am down to around 166#. By all acounts I feel much healthier - I have more energy and am less lethargic, I can run longer and faster and do more strength training without getting burnt out, I have shed a significant amount of body fat and have created some lean muscle.

About 2 months ago, I decreased my calorie deficit significantly - I now eat between 1900 and 2100 cal/day. I am successfully maintaining my bodyweight (fluxuating between 164 and 168), but am starting to put on more fat around my midsection. I also haven't been able to run as much due to weather. I have been trying to get more of my calories from protien, but that has proven difficult.

This has all gotten me thinking that I really know nothing about how to maintain a goal bodyweight - much less, at least, than how to lose weight. So I guess my question is, how to I maintain my current body weight but remain fit, in shape, healthy? In other words, how do I maintain bodyweight well?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I would say lift more. For your height you are probably at the right weight, bordering or being slightly underweight. You should be able to eat alot more than 2100 cals to maintain, I'm only 5ft 3" and can eat that to maintain, plus I'm alot older. You should be be able to eat up to 3000 and stay the same. Get lifting some heavy weights and you'll trim down in no time :)
  • 13shark77
    13shark77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No mater the weather, keep up the jogging routine. Its not easy, I know. I still jog in even if its as low as mid 30s temp wise. Unless its really raining. I wont. But even light rain I jog. Plus you know the bennafits of jogging is always great!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    To maintain, you simply eat a balance of calories as per your stats and activity level. There is no magic...there is no special food or exercise. If you are more active then you will need more calories to maintain...if you are less active you will need less calories to maintain.

I've been in maintenance for about 19 months...I exercise more now than I ever did when I was dieting. I run about 10 miles per week and cycle around 60 and hit the weight room 3x weekly. Even in the cold I run and I ride...wear the appropriate clothing and you'll be fine. The gym is also a nice place to spend a few evenings per week in the winter...it's heated.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I've hear maintenance needs the occasional short them "cut". So if you feel like you're gaining weight, go an a deficit for a week or so, then back to maintaining. But I agree lifit heavy weight might make it easier for you.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I would say keep hitting those weights and do a reverse diet. You don't want to do a big jump up in calories after a long cut because your body cannot process the increased input. Check out this video on reverse dieting.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI

Allan