Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've seen both in my life and neither of them really helped me. The nutritionist asked me to follow his restrictive plan, which really didn't work long term, and the personal trainer was telling me to use machines, so... yeah, better save the money.
    Or find people competent in their chosen professions.

Agreed, easier said than done though!

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Trainer. You don't need to pay someone to tell you to eat less than you burn.

I obviously know to eat less, but its what to eat, how often, how to cook it, and the things that I think are healthy probably aren't the best. I could eat just a cheeseburger a day and be "eating less" but not healthy... there's so many fad foods and things that supposedly are healthy but have so many things in them that are bad for you...I just dont know what those things are or what to look for.

Do some research on macros, how much protein, fat and carbs you should be getting. You can eat as often or seldom as you like, as long as you're getting the right amount of calories and nutrition. 3 meals a day, 6 meals a day, 1 meal a day...whatever you prefer. Read labels. Look up recipes. Fad foods are just that....fads. There aren't special foods you should or should not eat. Eat what you like, try to balance your macros, and stay in a deficit. Don't make it more complicated than it is.
  • TheJHopkinsProject
    Options
    Trainer. You don't need to pay someone to tell you to eat less than you burn.

I obviously know to eat less, but its what to eat, how often, how to cook it, and the things that I think are healthy probably aren't the best. I could eat just a cheeseburger a day and be "eating less" but not healthy... there's so many fad foods and things that supposedly are healthy but have so many things in them that are bad for you...I just dont know what those things are or what to look for.

Do some research on macros, how much protein, fat and carbs you should be getting. You can eat as often or seldom as you like, as long as you're getting the right amount of calories and nutrition. 3 meals a day, 6 meals a day, 1 meal a day...whatever you prefer. Read labels. Look up recipes. Fad foods are just that....fads. There aren't special foods you should or should not eat. Eat what you like, try to balance your macros, and stay in a deficit. Don't make it more complicated than it is.

Will do! Thanks!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Dietician!

I could've paid a trainer, but I don't. If I didn't know how little you can know and still be a trainer, I might've. But I do know that...and find it frightening that people take health advice from anyone who is a trainer. Yikes. They're fine for organizing workouts, but that is pretty much all they're qualified to do.

I did pay a dietician. Big help for me! But I had a special diet and many questions. Still, some pop up.

Given the choice, I'd take the person qualified to give advice every time. :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A good trainer will be able to guide you with your nutrition. I saw a nutritionist a few years back and when I look back, I cannot believe she never mentioned calories.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    You could do one and then the other. That way the costs aren't simultaneous.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! That's what I would do.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think this is a bit uneven and unfair to the poor old nutritionist.

Should be chef/ nutritionist v personal trainer v psychologist
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Started with the nutritionist to help with our food choices and then moved on to the trainer. Couldn't afford both at the same time.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I might consult a dietician, which is entirely different from a nutritionist. A nutritionist does not need any credentials to call themselves that. A dietician is certified and trained.
  • hbpapajohn
    Options
    "I obviously know to eat less, but its what to eat, how often, how to cook it, and the things that I think are healthy probably aren't the best..."

I am at this point. I use the diary to log what I eat and can manage my calorie budget (mostly) but what I need help with is balancing carbs/fats/proteins.

I would like to be able to download my MFP record of what I have eaten over past months and take it to a nutritionist for advice in reaching that balance. My reasoning is that my diary contains a record of what I like to eat which should give the nutritionist a starting point from which to adjust.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to download the record (diary)?

Thanks...j
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Trainer has more practical value.

Por que no los dos? Trainers and RDs are not expensive to hire.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on what you struggle with the most. Personally, I know the basics of good nutrition and I don't need someone to sell me on their own personal ideas of what a healthy diet is. But I don't have the slightest clue how to navigate my way through the weight room of a gym… so I would go the trainer route. But that's just me… others may have different needs.But to be honest... I wouldn't actually go with a personal trainer either. The free trainers available at most gyms work great for me. They help me design a workout and show me proper form… then leave me alone to do the work. In the end, its up to me to push myself and its me I have to answer to. Which is exactly how I like it and what works best for me.