Dealing with fatigue

Options

Replies

• ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Some people just need more sleep than other people. I went to the doctor because I went through a spell of about a year where I needed to take cat naps and would be able to nap anywhere. She said that some people just have periods of change in their life where their body just needs to shut down a little extra. It's good that you have consulted your physician. If they aren't worried about it, I would just listen to your body and relax when you need to unless it's messing with your night time sleep.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the mean people thread in 3.... 2..... 1.....
  • The0dora07
    The0dora07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MY BF has to eat 3500 calories a day to maintain..of non-junky calories. It can be done, and I agree with everyone else; you're fatigue because you don't eat enough, and/or you don't get enough rest, or...you're hangry :wink: Good luck and get well
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yes...!!! I've been having this same issue. Sleeping 12 hours a night. I know it's SAD, I get it every year.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I never said I eat 800 calories a day. Someone went into my diary and picked a day that only had 800 calories because I SLEPT for four hours that day and missed a snack and a full meal. I typically eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day, so this "not eating enough" business is BS. I'm not an idiot, I know how to eat and what to eat and when to eat.

Then you're fine, stay the course. You're doing it right.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are very tired. When you see your doctor mention your cal goals and whether you are acchieving them and ask for a nutritionist referral.

Also explore other ailments you have just in case there is a medical reason for your tireds. I just found out there is a medical reason for mine. There are many so you really need to go if you think it might be something.

In the meantime, I'd suggest meeting your cal goal more days than not. On the random day or days that you are only able to eat 800 cals because you fall asleep or for whatever other reason. Make up those calories on the following day. Otherwise if this happened two to three times a week you could be 800 to 2100 cals short on your weekly goal depending on which is your true cal goal and how many days that happend. Can you see how that could add up to being tired?

Good luck, I hope you come back to this thread when you DGAF about what people online say or at least care less enough to read the good suggestions others have given you and focus on those instead of the misunderstandings that might be going on.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheryl. I looked back at your diary for a couple weeks and it looks like you're averaging about 1000 calories net (after you subtract your exercise). Maybe try to eat back at least 1/2 of your workout calories for a few days and see if that helps with the fatigue. You can increase your calories without eating crap by just incorporating some good fats; some avocado or an extra serving of nuts or nut butter (mmm, peanut butter for me ;) ).
    Good luck to you - I hope you are able to figure out your fatigue issue.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Open to hearing any suggestions. I'm at my wit's end.

Eat more. You're underfuelled.

It really is that simple

• dbmata
    Options

It really is that simple

Yeah, OP doesn't want to hear that, but that's the case.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

It really is that simple

which makes me sad. because i actually have been there. but i listened to other people...still have managed to lose 87 pounds and well i have more energy than ever. At least I have never had to post the "help I am eating 1200 calorie diet and so hungry all the time" thread....because I think that post will be in 2 weeks.
  • dbmata
    Options

It really is that simple

which makes me sad. because i actually have been there. but i listened to other people...still have managed to lose 87 pounds and well i have more energy than ever. At least I have never had to post the help I am eating 1200 calorie diet and so hungry all the time....because I think that post will be in 2 weeks.

I was having a particularly stressful few weeks before I went back to college.... was lifting hard and maybe eating 800 calories or less? Lasted three days until I had amazing cramps all over my body.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    The0dora07 wrote: »
    non-junky calories.

what are those?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear it... but I agree with the others - eating a bit more can only help you.

But on a different note, has the quality of your sleep changed at all? How much sleep are you getting each night? I'm mean actual sleep, not how much time do you spend in bed. I'm a terrible sleeper, so sleep is almost always a problem for me.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    more strenuous exercise, and more water
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

It really is that simple

which makes me sad. because i actually have been there. but i listened to other people...still have managed to lose 87 pounds and well i have more energy than ever. At least I have never had to post the help I am eating 1200 calorie diet and so hungry all the time....because I think that post will be in 2 weeks.

I was having a particularly stressful few weeks before I went back to college.... was lifting hard and maybe eating 800 calories or less? Lasted three days until I had amazing cramps all over my body.

and let me guess...you decided to eat more and felt a bit better after a few days?

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A bit of common sense someone gave me a while back that seems applicable here.
    • Are you losing weight? Yes. Do you feel good, have sufficient energy? Yes. Good - Keep eating what you're eating.
    • Are you losing weight? Yes. Do you feel good, have sufficient energy? No. Eat a bit more.
    • Are you losing weight? No. Do you feel good, have sufficient energy? Yes. Eat a bit less.
    • Are you losing weight? No. Do you feel good, have sufficient energy? No. See a doctor.
  • The0dora07
    The0dora07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    The0dora07 wrote: »
    non-junky calories.

what are those?

Oats, dairy, eggs, fruits, veggies, red meats, poultry, seafood, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, protein shakes, etc. We mostly eat/cook in so we increase his servings to get him to his necessary caloric intake to maintain. Restaurants add too much sodium.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I know you don't want to hear it... but I agree with the others - eating a bit more can only help you.

But on a different note, has the quality of your sleep changed at all? How much sleep are you getting each night? I'm mean actual sleep, not how much time do you spend in bed. I'm a terrible sleeper, so sleep is almost always a problem for me.

Same here. I can be such a light sleeper. A good night's sleep is when I wake up the next morning and can't remember tossing and turning several times lol.

• CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Quality of sleep is pretty good I think. I go to bed around 10-10:30 and I'm up at 6:45. I can usually fall asleep pretty quickly, too.

And no, I'm not hungry, which is why I previously said I can't eat any more than I do. If I ate more, I would be full all the time!

I'll try just adding some peanut butter to my morning apple and having a little avocado or nuts with my lunch. I already drink plenty of water... I try to drink close to 3L a day.

What I was really looking for if there's something in particular you guys have to eat before you workout that gives you an extra boost, or if there's a certain stretching routine you do in the morning that you find energizing. I workout after work, around 4:30, and usually have a handful of almonds (15-20) and a cup of tea about an hour before. But stilllll find myself dragging/napping.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I just ate peanut m&ms and they gave me a good boost.