Where to start exercise for a really overweight person?

Options
Just really quick stats. I am 34 years old, 6'3" tall and an embrassing 440 lbs. I have got myself tracking my calories and have found I can actully get filled up just eating 1800-2000 calories a day. When not tracking and being cautious on some food I can take in some serious calories. Since Diet has made improvements lets move along.

Now to the main part of my post. Is the best way to start getting in some exercise. I have started to walk a few days a week. Yesterday I walked 1.2 mile in 30 mins. I know time and distance will increase as I start to put in more time the distance will increase. I was also wondering about doing strength training at my size. I have not the clue on what is best to get started. I just know I need to get this body in motion.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    While I can't provide any advice on strength training, I just wanted to say good for you for getting active and taking charge of things. Walking is a great place to begin. I've seen a lot of people who have problems with their knees, plantar fasciitis, etc, and therefore can't do it...but for me in years past when I started out walking frequently as a 5'8" 307 lb woman that was the ideal exercise form and you really do get faster and build endurance as you go. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Walking is great at first, gets you mentally ready to do something on consistent basis, it can actually be a strength training workout at first and could gain muscle in legs doing it.

But probably good idea to do some upper body resistance training, because a diet, especially as extreme as you are hitting, will cause muscle mass loss.
    That's roughly 50% deficit even when sedentary. More if you only eat that and exercise much.

For upper body, pick a template and routine here, then pick exercises you have ability to do with what you have.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a really fantastic place to start. I started by walking 30-45 minutes each day, and didn't do anything beyond that for the first 20lbs. It improved my fitness a lot, since I hadn't done any exercise at all for like 5 years. Once walking started to seem kind of easy, I worked on improving some core and leg strength and then started jogging. Now I use fitness blender videos for strength training at home and mix up some cardio to go with it. But if you aren't sure if something is wise, you should probably check with your doctor. Listen to your body - if it hurts, don't push.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So far, you have started in the right place. Walking is a great exercise for everyone, but is especially good to start out because you can easily adjust and increase, depending on how you feel.

Do you like water? Is there a pool close to you? A water aerobics class is really good because it encompasses cardio and full body strength workouts without as much wear and tear on the joints. Lap swimming, aqua jogging, and even treading water for a long period of time are great for low to no impact exercises. Other types of strength and lifting can be really good too, but I'll let others chime in on ways to get started with those because I don't lift.

58841349.png
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Suggest you walk 3 times a week, trying to go a little further each week.
    Also do some strength training a couple of times a week.

Do however have a complete rest day once a week, and do take it slowly.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Its great that you are walking. In terms of strength training, you can do some pilates and use a resistance band with light strength then gradually work your way up. You can also do beginner workout videos at home and look at reviews over at Amazon and Video Fitness Forum, with of course, consulting your doctor. :) I hope this helps.

But yeah to keep things interesting, do a mixture of different things, so you can stay motivated, learn different cross training methods, and not get bored :D

Best wishes~
  • lingo10
    Options
    Also you can check youtube and pinterest for workout ideas, tons there :)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Walking is good. You might want to consider also getting a Fitbit or an activity tracker like it. They can go a long way in helping to motivate you to move throughout the day. Before I got a Fitbit I might have walked a mile or so on a typical day. The Fitbit showed me how lazy I was, and that one mile quickly turned into 5 to 10 miles.

Strength training would be a good idea too. As noted above, it'll help you maintain muscle mass while you're losing fat. And at 440 lbs, you've got to have some serious muscle underneath the fat, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get yourself out of bed or out of a chair, much less walk 1.2 miles. Save as much of that strength and muscle mass as you can while you whittle yourself down to your ideal weight and proportions.
  • lingo10
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Walking is good. You might want to consider also getting a Fitbit or an activity tracker like it. They can go a long way in helping to motivate you to move throughout the day. Before I got a Fitbit I might have walked a mile or so on a typical day. The Fitbit showed me how lazy I was, and that one mile quickly turned into 5 to 10 miles.

Strength training would be a good idea too. As noted above, it'll help you maintain muscle mass while you're losing fat. And at 440 lbs, you've got to have some serious muscle underneath the fat, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get yourself out of bed or out of a chair, much less walk 1.2 miles. Save as much of that strength and muscle mass as you can while you whittle yourself down to your ideal weight and proportions.

+1
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good start. Hop on a bike, maybe try out of of the elliptical. But, I do echo the sentiment of getting a weight training program going alongside your cardio. You're going to lose both fat, and muscle mass when losing weight, so you want to minimize the impact.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My first question would be whether or not you had any medical conditions that contraindicate certain types of exercise.

If not start strength training any time (the sooner the better) similarly you could add swimming, biking (there are bikes made for heavier folk, just don't get an el-cheapo from Wally world, their frames are usually not very robust) and anything else that gets you moving and that you enjoy.

Walking regularly is a great starting point, congratulations on taking the first steps toward a healthier you.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was 5'4'' 292, I started out walking and then I got a recumbent bike and occasionally used a elliptical. When I got bored, I tried to follow along with videos on youtube of Jillian Michaels and the like. I picked up the Just Dance 2014/2015 game- super fun. And I started playing volleyball for fun and on a league. Started jogging with C25k app. I just liked to keep things interesting as I do get bored.
  • ocmitchris
    ocmitchris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're about like I was when I started. I was 6'3", and around 420lbs. First I changed my diet and logged *everything* through MFP. After about 6 months of that, I started walking. I would walk about half an hour a day on most days.

Recently, I got a fitbit, which has been extremely motivating. Try to get one, add friends, and join the challenges. I can't overemphasize how motivating this has been for me. Also, get a body fat monitor. You can get an Omron one on Amazon for around $30. This is very helpful when you know you're working, but aren't seeing progress on the scale.

Currently, I'm down over 95 pounds, and am averaging walking about 6 miles and 30 flights of stairs a day. I'm planning on trying to start jogging soon with a couch to 5k program, we'll see how that goes. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't try to walk fast. There is another thread about heel spurs, lol. You don't want one and walking fast when you're overweight and not used to it is a great way to get that problem!!

After the doctor clears you for exercise, start immediately. Walking is great. Swimming is fantastic! Nothing burns more calories, it's easy on the joints, you don't feel hot and sweaty and the water is one place where the fat will not hold you back! Start swimming and watch the pounds melt away! :)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise - you could invest in a pedometer (or a fitbit if you like apps and technology) and challenge yourself to do more each day

Strength training would also be great - if you can get to a local gym, most of them have trainers who will help you develop a personal programme
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who were heavily overweight who only used the fitbit or pedometer to reach their goal weight. Its not strenuous, its easy and its very motivating seeing those steps go up. I cannot advise you on the strength training, but thats what the other folks are here for. The community forums are great!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1 for walking is very good for starters. You could also try swimming as the water supports your weight. What matters in the beginning is that you do it on a regular basis and you gardually increase distance/ duration or speed or both. Keep adding five or ten minutes each week.

400 is a long journey so you need to pace yourself and match your exercise to your ability so its not too much and you make progress. Consistency is key. When you feel comfortable enough then you cna start exercising at home or join a gym, but at the moment get started and dont worry about other peoples ability, just focus on your own targets.
  • safri77
    safri77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As you progress, remember to change your diet accordingly. Anyway, good luck!
  • shepd1999
    shepd1999 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well reading thru the post here and few messages I have received I will start out walking. Work my way down to 350-375 before I start to lift. Just this way I can condition my body back to moving again and to get my heart also used to it again. Each day and each step will be another step in the right direction. Thanks for all the comments. Feel free to add me to your friends list if you want to see my progress and help motivate me.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    start walking daily

29509743.png